Best Headphones < ~$125
Oct 30, 2002 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Colicious

New Head-Fier
hi...i was recommended to this forum from another forums sayin you guys know you stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

ok, what i want to know, is what is a good pair of headphones less than 125 or so that will be used mainly for gaming on my pc. although i do listen to some mp3s and other audio, its mainly for games. i will probably be paring it with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.

Oct 30, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #3 of 22
A pair of KSC-50's from Circuit City for $15 is surprisingly good. I doubt even the top Sennheisers would make you much happier for PC games. I know they won't for me, though I don't play PC games much.

Oct 30, 2002 at 8:55 AM Post #4 of 22
Depends on what kind of characteristics you want.

The standard all-purpose headphones recommended here at Head-Fi is the Sony MDR-V6 (AKA MDR-7506) and from the comments and from my very limited listening of a brand new pair (always a bad idea) they do seem to do the job, certainly for games. I'm sure lots of other people can tell you about the V6.

The HD280 is more IMO a headphone you get when you know exactly what you want. Avoid for now.

The KSC-50's are good for $15, but for >$50, you'll find a lot better.

The Sennheiser HD497 at around $50 is a good headphone perhaps better suited to PC use than home audio use. Another plus is that it's very lightweight and reasonably portable.

Avoid the Sennheiser HD212. Too bass-heavy and works poorly with games.

If anyone suggests Grado SR60, 80 or 125, consider that despite the fact that they'll sound pretty good out of a PC, they're not really a gaming / PC-use phone.

I use the Beyerdynamic DT231 for gaming but I think in the US they're a tad overpriced. Over here they can frequently be had for less than the HD497, which makes them a bargain.

Oct 30, 2002 at 9:32 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Colicious
hi...i was recommended to this forum from another forums sayin you guys know you stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

are you confused yet? do we sound like we know our stuff? haha
where you from? different phones are cheaper in different parts of the world

Oct 30, 2002 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 22
im from US of A
tongue.gif

i really dont know what i want...i really have no experience in audio.

the most ones ive heard recommended are teh Senn 280pro, the Senn 497, and the Sony MDR-V6. out of those, which ones would you pick if you were gettin one for yourself?

Oct 30, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 22
If I were to pick one of those for my self I would buy the 280. Someone here was commenting on his ability to hear where things were comming from in games. He said it gave him a big advantage at the office, after hours, of course. I think I'm going to buy a pair of HD 590s my self. I heard them at tweeter comming out of a discman and a big switing device and they still sounded really good. Combined with the comfort and open desighn, I doubt I'll do much better without getting an amp and spending a lot more. The 280s seem to be $80-100 on line, so tha fits your <$125 budget comfortably.
The other big thing about the 280s that you might like for gamming is that they can be converted to a headset. This is pretty cool if you ask me. If I wanted a closed phone, these would be high on my list.

Oct 30, 2002 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 22
i play counterstrike and other computer games with my 280s and i love them. i wouldnt recommend open phones. either V6, 280pro, or er6. i say 280.

Oct 31, 2002 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 22
A battery powered amp definitely makes a difference. I wouldn't say the 280's ae unusable without an amp, but I would say it's like running a car with one of those emergency tyres...

Oct 31, 2002 at 2:22 AM Post #13 of 22
Best under $125 IMO:
Audio Technica AD7($139 on Audiocubes.com but I had it for $100)
Sennheiser Hd280pro
Sony V6

But I prefer the sound of the Audiotechnica out of the bunch.if you can fork out few dollars, I think it's worth the money. Btw, it's open.

Nov 2, 2002 at 9:35 PM Post #14 of 22
between the 280 or grado sr80.

Just from the recognition and reviews read. of course go with the grado.

i have not spot any negative reviews on sr80. while with the 280pro....lots of complaints about sound being tiny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back