Best headphone under 300$? (my first thread :) )
Jan 25, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:
I think the UEs 6000 sounded pretty good at BestBuy for 199.

Depends on your taste but they're not bad. Logitech owns the company Ultimate Ears and seems to be decent on here

Err...no. Unless you need Active NC under $200...or else, I wouldn't recommend it. Best Active NC headphone under $200, yes. Anything more than that, no. 
size]
 But just my opinion thought.
Quote:
I just realized that i have the dss2 amp for my gaming headphones, would that work for normal headphones? I know even less about amps than headphones. #ampnoobprobs

I would recommend E10 or E11 for K167 at your price range. E10 is a desktop amp and it has DAC. E11 is a portable amp without DAC. If you are using iDevice, I would suggest an L9 cable if you are going for E11. E10 is only made for device with USB plug. Never heard about those DSS2 amp, but it looks great for gaming...eh? Not sure, not a professional gramer, in fact, not even a gamer. 
size]

Billson

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:
Err...no. Unless you need Active NC under $200...or else, I wouldn't recommend it. Best Active NC headphone under $200, yes. Anything more than that, no. 
size]
 But just my opinion thought.
I would recommend E10 or E11 for K167 at your price range. E10 is a desktop amp and it has DAC. E11 is a portable amp without DAC. If you are using iDevice, I would suggest an L9 cable if you are going for E11. E10 is only made for device with USB plug. Never heard about those DSS2 amp, but it looks great for gaming...eh? Not sure, not a professional gramer, in fact, not even a gamer. 
size]

Billson

He's looking for stuff sold at BestBuy.  Fiio is not.  

For the Best-Buy under $300, you have

ATH-900x
a bunch of beats, monster, and fanny wang (avoid all for being overpriced)
Sennhesier HD-25
a few other Sennhesiers
Beyerdynamic 1350s (which I believe aren't very bassy)

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #18 of 29
Well guys, i came super close to buying the k550s, but my inner basshead got the better of me and per Billsons suggestion the k167s are in the mail! ill be sure to write a review once i get to test them out. i decided to skip the amp since pretty much all of best buys amps were garbage except the presonus hp4 which i considered. it got mixed reviews at best and i couldn't justify the 130$ based on its reviews. I think a fiio could be in my future though. Thank you all for the help!

ps. i absolutely love the dss2, very impressed with its virtual surround sound. i dont think it will work well with anything thats source is not xbox though, since it runs off of like 3 xbox connectors. ill write a review once i get a chance.

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #19 of 29
pss. I just read the community guidelines, and I wanted to appologize for titling the thread "yet another..." I didn't have the guidelines in my messages when i started the question, and they specifically mention not title a thread like that. So, my apologies.

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #21 of 29
I just would like to make a point to the OP,

If you are producing music, headphones with the flattest frequency response will be your best bet.
For one, closed backs are NOT the way to go, due to their lack of staging.
And second, headphones in general are not recommended for music producing.
Instead, you should look into a pair of Active Monitor Speakers.

I have personally gone through the phase of producing music on headphones and made numerous mistakes.
Consider these factors when you do decide to produce out of your headphones.
1. Underrepresented frequencies on your headphones may result in overcompensated volume on bass / treble department.
2. Underrepresented sound-stage (especially closed back headphoens) may result in overcompensation on reverb effect in your instrumentals.
3. Volume perception difference when wearing headphones may result in your mix being too quiet for general listening. (or too loud)
4. Fatigue from headphones, whether it is discomfort or piercing highs, may deter you from being productive.

I hope this has helped

-korewest

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:
pss. I just read the community guidelines, and I wanted to appologize for titling the thread "yet another..." I didn't have the guidelines in my messages when i started the question, and they specifically mention not title a thread like that. So, my apologies.

Just change the title by clicking the Edit Thread link at the top.

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:
I just would like to make a point to the OP,

If you are producing music, headphones with the flattest frequency response will be your best bet.
For one, closed backs are NOT the way to go, due to their lack of staging.
And second, headphones in general are not recommended for music producing.
Instead, you should look into a pair of Active Monitor Speakers.

I have personally gone through the phase of producing music on headphones and made numerous mistakes.
Consider these factors when you do decide to produce out of your headphones.
1. Underrepresented frequencies on your headphones may result in overcompensated volume on bass / treble department.
2. Underrepresented sound-stage (especially closed back headphoens) may result in overcompensation on reverb effect in your instrumentals.
3. Volume perception difference when wearing headphones may result in your mix being too quiet for general listening. (or too loud)
4. Fatigue from headphones, whether it is discomfort or piercing highs, may deter you from being productive.

I hope this has helped

-korewest

big ups to you for the tips, thanks! Oh, youre preaching to the choir about monitors. I'm in college and live at home with my grandmother, so even the "bass" from tv speakers "shake the walls" ... hence my need for headphones. As soon as i graduate and have my own place itll be all about monitors. To sum up what you said: be careful with reverb, certain frequencies (that headphones might miss or amplify), and volume, got it. Im not worried about fatigue, im highly monitaved to produce, so ill just deal with it. I also have a decent stereo system (Sony MHC-EC909iP) so ill play my music through that (when gma is out of the house) when mastering and compare to the headphones. And I have a set of open gaming headphones (excellent soundstage ) to get staging right during mastering. Not saying that is a full-proof system, but gotta work with what ya got right?

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:
Nice how do you think, could you leave some impressions of them?

First impressions, My favorite headphones so far! highs are very clear and detailed, without being piercing or painful. mids are maybe a bit forward for some people, but i think its just right and makes them powerful. My favorite feature of these headphones is that they reproduce vocals AMAZINGLY, I feel like the singer especially is in the room with me. I have somewhat mixed feelings on the bass however. The Sub-bass is the best that I have heard in headphones hands down. They also represent upper mid (like rock kick drum) well. However, they leave a little to be desired in the mid-bass. I like the bass as I think for the most part it is smooth and accurate. On the other hand, I think it lacks some impact. I don't think these are basshead headphones which is kind of what I was expecting. They do seem to be getting better and better the more I listen though, and it is leading me to believe that these will benefit from burn in. Overall 4.5/5 stars I am very pleased

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:
First impressions, My favorite headphones so far! highs are very clear and detailed, without being piercing or painful. mids are maybe a bit forward for some people, but i think its just right and makes them powerful. My favorite feature of these headphones is that they reproduce vocals AMAZINGLY, I feel like the singer especially is in the room with me. I have somewhat mixed feelings on the bass however. The Sub-bass is the best that I have heard in headphones hands down. They also represent upper mid (like rock kick drum) well. However, they leave a little to be desired in the mid-bass. I like the bass as I think for the most part it is smooth and accurate. On the other hand, I think it lacks some impact. I don't think these are basshead headphones which is kind of what I was expecting. They do seem to be getting better and better the more I listen though, and it is leading me to believe that these will benefit from burn in. Overall 4.5/5 stars I am very pleased

glad to hear it, especially about the vocals!

Feb 3, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:
big ups to you for the tips, thanks! Oh, youre preaching to the choir about monitors. I'm in college and live at home with my grandmother, so even the "bass" from tv speakers "shake the walls" ... hence my need for headphones. As soon as i graduate and have my own place itll be all about monitors. To sum up what you said: be careful with reverb, certain frequencies (that headphones might miss or amplify), and volume, got it. Im not worried about fatigue, im highly monitaved to produce, so ill just deal with it. I also have a decent stereo system (Sony MHC-EC909iP) so ill play my music through that (when gma is out of the house) when mastering and compare to the headphones. And I have a set of open gaming headphones (excellent soundstage ) to get staging right during mastering. Not saying that is a full-proof system, but gotta work with what ya got right?

Excellent!
I am in college as well, so I understand ;]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back