Best headphone under 300$? (my first thread :) )
Jan 24, 2013 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

redzilla500

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! Long time lurker here, and I finally decided to join head fi! 

I recently received a best buy gift card with 160$ (so unfortunately im kind of tethered to buying from best buy :/), but i also have some cash to throw down on top of it. And I thought what better way to spend it than on headphones! So, in total im looking to spend about 300 at best buy. I'm beginning to produce electronic music on my computer so the headphones will primarily be used for producing music. Bass response is very important because I will mainly be making dubstep, but i also would like good mids and highs. So, I'm thinking a closed back will be the way to go. I would also like to use these to just listen to music, since they will be the nicest pair i own. I mainly listen to electronic, dubstep, and rock, but i also like folk, and i listen to just a dash of country and pop.
Some headphones i've been considering are: the AKG K550's, audio technica ATH-A900X's, and sennheiser HD380PRO's

The best pair of headphones i've ever had are the jvc marshmellow ha-fx35's, so i know very little about headphones of this caliber.
Any help is appreciated!

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 29
The only decent headphones I could find online were the Q701's that were horribly inflated in price and those lack in the bass youwould want. Although I did hear that Bestbuy will pricematch Amazon if it's sold actually by Amazon (The Q701's are at $246.71). Otherwise I think your best bet is to sell the BB gift card to be entirely honest at a loss.

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 29
thanks for the reply! i was looking at the q701s too, but like you said the price was ridiculous. I didn't know they price match though, ill look into that. Do you know anything about the three headphones that i mentioned?

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 29
Not able to help you there, I was considering the Q701's for a while that's why I know a little bit about them but they're kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum that you want.

At least you can get some use out of what I said the BB price matching.

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 29
Beyer dt990 32 ohm if you don't have an amp. I doubt they sell them at BB, but it's worth looking into...

I don't own these, but from reviews they are bass/treble heavy. They are semi-open, but that is a plus for soundstage.

Others with more experience will chime in I'm sure.

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 29
Hi!

From what I heard, K550 sound best out of your choice but I would not recommend it to you as personally, I find it not suitable for mixing specially the bass which lacks "slam" for some basshead. I would recommend the K167 for your needs. Comfortable for long term listening bass punch are good forward mids & clear highs. The only thing I dislike about it is the fact that the bass aren't all that clean... It really does benefit from burn-in. Hope this help!

Billson :)

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 29
I'm definetly going to check every headphone against amazons price haha. Youre right modular, they dont have the 990s. They do have the 770s though, would those be close enough to warrant an audition?

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 29
Bah just looked into it a little more and it looks like I was wrong about the BB price match, I got it slightly mixed up so it won't work :frowning2:

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:
Bah just looked into it a little more and it looks like I was wrong about the BB price match, I got it slightly mixed up so it won't work :frowning2:

Are you sure, i was just reading the fine print in their "low price guarentee" it listed amazon as one of the retailers they would match. assuming the headphones have that little icon next to them

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:
Yes, they will benefit from an amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Billson

suggestions? 
beyersmile.png

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #14 of 29
I think the UEs 6000 sounded pretty good at BestBuy for 199.

Depends on your taste but they're not bad. Logitech owns the company Ultimate Ears and seems to be decent on here

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:
I think the UEs 6000 sounded pretty good at BestBuy for 199.

Depends on your taste but they're not bad. Logitech owns the company Ultimate Ears and seems to be decent on here

Those look kick ass too, very futuristic. Thanks for all the help yall! the computer screen is starting to give me a headache, im going to go to sleep and continue my search this weekend, ill be sure to let yall know what I settle on. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back