Best Headphone/speaker amp under 400$
May 21, 2013 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Gottfrid

New Head-Fier
I'm very new to this forum and I'm sure that there have been more of these threds before so i apoligize for that but any who.

I'm intrested in buying a good amp that is for both speakers and headphones for a low cost. I am trying my best to be an audiophile to the cheap so if you have any ideas feel free to tell me.

I have 2 speakers with 2 80ohm speakers in each. Thanks:) 

May 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 6
For $400 you could probably get a DAC with a decent headphone amp plus an amp for the speakers, which, depending on what outputs the DAC-HPamp has, can be a power amp or an integrated amp.

If you already have a good source (CDP, TT, DAC, etc) and don't really need the DAC that much, start with this Dayton amp. If you feel its amp is lacking for your headphones (or whatever you get later), you still have about $300 for that.

May 22, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Well that was cheaper than I expected! But i was thinking maybe a tube amp. But that might get even more expensive?

Not necessarily, the Little Dot MkII is less than $200. Depending on your tastes though I'd get the Schiit Valhalla for $350. Had the LD MkII before, and it's basically great for driving just about any headphone, but it artificially warmed everything up and the spatial cues aren't as clean as with the Valhalla, but of course your source (DAC, CDP, TT, etc) has to be able to get those details out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back