Best headphone portable DAC amp for under $100
Dec 10, 2013 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kcahmadi

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I recently got some sweet srh940s and now I want a portable amp to go with it.. mainly becaus emy laptops soundcard sucks (it has beats smh).
What's the best amp under 100$ ? I've heard alot about the fiio e10, some suggested the e17. any other suggestions? 
Thanks

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 8
if you're looking for a cheap sub-$100 portable amp+DAC, I think Fiio is your only option.

E17 is $140ish, so over your budget. I would recommend the E70K at $90. Any sound quality differences shouldn't be too noticeable as they both use the same DAC. the E17 has more connections and a slightly more powerful amp, but the E70K is lighter and has a longer battery life.

Are you just planning on using it only for your laptop? Then you can consider options like the Audioquest Dragonfly 1.0 ($99 - older version; newer version is 1.2 for $150). If you are planning on using it for your android/iphone smartphone, you have to check if the DAC will work w/ the OS. You need to be able to do digital USB audio out. Usually, it's a matter of finding a DAC that is compatible with your smartphone operating system. for android, check out this thread for which phones work w/ which DACs: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 8
  if you're looking for a cheap sub-$100 portable amp+DAC, I think Fiio is your only option.

E17 is $140ish, so over your budget. I would recommend the E70K at $90. Any sound quality differences shouldn't be too noticeable as they both use the same DAC. the E17 has more connections and a slightly more powerful amp, but the E70K is lighter and has a longer battery life.

Are you just planning on using it only for your laptop? Then you can consider options like the Audioquest Dragonfly 1.0 ($99 - older version; newer version is 1.2 for $150). If you are planning on using it for your android/iphone smartphone, you have to check if the DAC will work w/ the OS. You need to be able to do digital USB audio out. Usually, it's a matter of finding a DAC that is compatible with your smartphone operating system. for android, check out this thread for which phones work w/ which DACs: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I was planning on using it with my laptop and iphone. Which would you think would be best?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back