Best Headphone for Rock & Metal 200 - 600 €
Jan 11, 2013 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

eddie75

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm searching a new headphone for home listening. Price range 200 - 600€.
My favourite music is rock and metal. I listen to nearly everthing in this two genres, except most death & black metal (although i love Death or Opeth for example). My favourite metal bands are Iron Maiden, Metallica and Megadeth, Judas Priest. Rock: Elvis, Johnny, Cash, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Guns 'N Roses, Muse, Aracde Fire, ACDC, Alexisonfire, Bruce Springsteen, The National, ... So really a wide range.
I have a AKG K272HD (sound is similar to a K271) and the e-guitars sound too distant and are'nt crsip and agressive enough. The Bass is fast and the quality is good but lacks impact, punch and also sub-bass. When I use the accudio app of my ipod touch and use the hi-fi-simulation mode which is supposed to neutralize the frequence-response the sound for rock and metal of my akg is way better than without. But i think this isn't a solution.
I've already listened to T1, HE-6, LCD-2 (my favourite was the LCD-2 by a small margin to the HE-6) and although the LCD-2 was really good and the bass was IMPRESSIVE I think i'm not ready for paying 1000 € (I live in Berlin) for a headphone. It's too much money which I could spend better...
So, what do you think is a good solution for me? Please don't recommend me headphones with u/v-shaped frequency response or relly unnatural sound, this is a point which i rellay like of my K272Hd.
I think a grado could be good for me, but unfortunately the prices in Germany are ridicilous! A RS1 for example costs 868 € (1160 US-Dollar!!!!).

Thank your for your advice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 8
If you think you would like a Grado, why not hear the SR325is, if the RS1 is too expensive for a pair of headphone's (I can also See your point). In the U.S. they are 400$ less than the RS1i, I don't know their price where you are.
Also  Alessandro/Grado make the MS2i which is priced the same as the 325is and they are along the same line's, but ARE different from each other IMO. They are both excellent headphone's, it just depends on which sound you like better.

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 8
Thank you.
The sr325 are 400 € (~ 530 US-Dollar...). In the U.S. they cost 296 US-Dollar (221 €). I can't understand this HUGE difference and i'm not willed to pay this. What about Audio Technica?

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Thank you.
The sr325 are 400 € (~ 530 US-Dollar...). In the U.S. they cost 296 US-Dollar (221 €). I can't understand this HUGE difference and i'm not willed to pay this. What about Audio Technica?

Audio technica from what I've read get mixed review's on this forum (I have no experience with them). Check out the Alessandro MS2i's they are equivelent to the Grado 325is and may be cheaper where you are located, but I'm not shure.

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Audio technica from what I've read get mixed review's on this forum (I have no experience with them). Check out the Alessandro MS2i's they are equivelent to the Grado 325is and may be cheaper where you are located, but I'm not shure.

I have experience with both and the 325i was far too harsh for me, ears hurt after 10mins when I took them off. I still own the MS2i.

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

I have experience with both and the 325i was far too harsh for me, ears hurt after 10mins when I took them off. I still own the MS2i.

I just recently traded my MS2i for the 325is. The MS2i is an incredible headphone by all means but I didn't hear the Grado sound signature which I enjoy. I felt the MS2i had too much bass for my taste and the higher frequency's just were not enough for me, I had to use my tone controls to lower the bass to about 10 o'clock and raise the treble to 2 o'clock (vocals by the way were beautiful on the MS2i). I've said before, that if wanted a more laid back sound signature I NEVER would have traded them,  but I just prefer the 325is, to me it is a bit more fun of a headphone with some nice attack at time's which I enjoy, and the highs are fine for me, plus I can leave my tone controls flat (which I like to do) and everything sound's great to me.
And by all means I do not find them harsh at all.

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 8
Hey,

thank you for your help, but I deceided to go with a LCD-2 eight days and ago and it was absolutly worth it. They are really amazing headphones, not only for rock and metal but also for Pop, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Folk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back