best headphone for on the go?
Sep 24, 2010 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mastapro

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I was looking for some headphones to walk around my college campus/ use on the bus.  I currently have the ATH-m50s but they are just too big and the cord is too long to take on the streets.  My current music players are sansa clip+ and ipod touch.  I was looking to get the Klipsch s4 for the gym but I also wanted some over the ear headphones for when i'm just sitting on the bus or studying.  My budget is around the ~$100-150 and under area.  Also, I want the headphones to look good, for example the m50s look too goofy when they're on the head, it sticks out too far on the sides.  Thanks alot guys.

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 14
Looking at your budget, I'd recommend Sennheiser's HD25-1 II. They usually go for (I think) about ~$200 but you could get them off here:

[size=small]https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=HS-SHHD251&c=CJ[/size]

Use the code FALL15 to get an additional $15 off for a total of $144.99. The promo lasts till the 26th I believe. These are generally regarded as one of the better portable headphones around here and are already difficult to beat at their original performance : price point. So given your budget, you might wanna try these out. They're not superb aesthetically but they're pretty small and comfy too.

Having said that, you might wanna talk about your SQ preference / genres of music you listen to, perhaps others will be able to give you more exacting recommendations. :)

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 14
I personally really like my HAS700 for on the go. The sound quality may not be the best, but it isolates well, the pads are very comfortable, and the headphones are very light. On top of that, it's less than $30, so I wouldn't feel pressured when I'm bringing them around.

The SQ of the HAS700 is nothing to write home about, I think it is slightly worse than protapro as of 60 hours of burn in. I've heard it takes 100+ before they start sounding better.

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 14
You can currently get a Phiaton MS300 for $150 off ebay which is a pretty good deal if you're after a solid but small all-rounder. I don't have the MS300 but I do own the higher-end MS400 and it's a very good consumer set and will work well with your genres. Reportedly the sound signatures of the MS300 and MS400 aren't that different.

Quote:
The SQ of the HAS700 is nothing to write home about, I think it is slightly worse than protapro as of 60 hours of burn in. I've heard it takes 100+ before they start sounding better.

Eh, you can burn them in for 300 hours if you like but your first statement will remain true - the HA-S700 is not one to buy for the sound. Great usability though. The new HA-S650 might retain the functionality and sound better but I don't think anyone's got one at this point.

Sep 25, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
Eh, you can burn them in for 300 hours if you like but your first statement will remain true - the HA-S700 is not one to buy for the sound. Great usability though. The new HA-S650 might retain the functionality and sound better but I don't think anyone's got one at this point.

Given the price of HA-S650, I think the HA-M750 would be a much safer choice.

And thank you for your great review thread. I've chosen the HA-S700 because of your reviews.
smile_phones.gif

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
Given the price of HA-S650, I think the HA-M750 would be a much safer choice.  
And thank you for your great review thread. I've chosen the HA-S700 because of your reviews.
smile_phones.gif

I think the sound of the M750 is a little less 'likeable', being more monitor-like and neutral in tone, albeit bass-heavy. Plus I found the S700 more comfortable, more portable, and more isolating. I really miss it sometimes but I wish it had better drivers. Perhaps I'll try the HA-S650 when things slow down.

Sep 25, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 14
thanks for the suggestions guys, but i can't find pics of these headphones being worn.  i wanna see wut they look like on the head.  do u guys have any pics of urselves?  also, hows the klipsch s4 as a backup?  lastly, how much do u guys think i could get for my m50s?  i'm looking to sell it then get the new headphone. (i've only used it like 5 times)

Sep 25, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 14
actually now i was looking at the denon d1001, anybody have a pic with those on?  i was also looking at the SONY xb300, its only 30$ but i hear its good.  so wuts a better combo
1) klipsch s4 + xb300
2) klipsch s4 + d1001

Sep 25, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #10 of 14
The XB500 sounds pretty average so I don't suppose the XB300 will be any better... huge step down from an ATH-M50.

The Denon D1001 is big... not quite as large as the ATH-M50 but close. The cord is nice and short though.

Speaking of the M50, average price on the sale forum for a used pair seems to be $80-85. 

Also, why the S4? It's far from the best earphone in its price range.

Sep 25, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 14
oh i just thought the s4's were the best for around $50 for IEM's.  is there something better? also, as for the xb300, i think they look really nice and they look comfortable.  but i'm still open for options.  I was also looking at the white sennheiser HD228, looks really nice

Sep 25, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #12 of 14
I've used the iGrado's with my 8GB Sansa Clip for over a year now and have been VERY pleased with them and I bought a pair of the Klipsch Image X5's from Audio Advisor and LOVE those as well (but that's $49 vs. $119 on sale).

I wasn't even looking to buy another set of earbuds or IEM's, I just happened to have a gift card for Best Buy and I used it on a pair of the Klipsch Image S2's. I was really surprised by how good they sounded for $49 and they are they're the first IEM I've every tried that was comfortable. My son (college student) talked me out of the S2's once he heard them with his Droid X so I then bought the X5's (they give you 30 days to make up your mind) and kept them as I think they area great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back