Best headphone for female/male vocals?
Nov 14, 2002 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

HappymaN

500+ Head-Fier
R10, Stax, W2002, Orpheus aside, what would the best (ie. most natural sounding) headphone for female/male vocals?

From what I've read, the W100 seem like the favourite for vocals, what do you think?

Nov 14, 2002 at 9:09 AM Post #2 of 18
Check out the review written here to help persuade you:

CLICKTHISTHINGAMABOB

It is a well written review of the W100. I own the Senn 600s and can tell you to steer clear of them for vocals as the midrange is recessed a bit. It sounds good, but you can do better!!

Nov 14, 2002 at 10:59 AM Post #3 of 18
From my limited experience, the AKG 501's are awesome for midrange stuff, especially female vocals.

Add a really good amp for the full experience though.

Nov 14, 2002 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 18
Since you haven't explicitly eliminated the HP-1000, I'd suggest that if you can find one. IMO the best dynamic headphone short of the R10.

If you're limiting yourself to current phones, the RS-1 can be very good indeed with the right amp and cables. The Sony MDR-CD3000 can be magic, but you're going to have to be very careful with amp selection for this headphone.

Nov 14, 2002 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 18
This stuff is so subjective and equipment-dependent, isn't it? I listen almost exclusively to music featuring female vocalists. When I compared the W100 against the HD600, I found that the W100 did indeed convey female vocals better. But it was so specific that I ended up preferring the HD600. The W100 only did the vocals well, and was otherwise shallow and constricted in comparison. And yes, it was well broken-in. The HD600 gave me an overall more musical experience while still conveying good vocals. I can see the appeal of the W100, but it didn't all come together in my ears.

Nov 14, 2002 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 18
Hmm... I willl have a Corda HA-1 in about two weeks. Is this a good enough SS amplifier for the W100's? CD3000's?

Nov 15, 2002 at 7:03 AM Post #7 of 18
find a pair, try the AKG K340, which sound really nice for male/female vocals and are still quite affordable.

I primarily listen to male/female vocals and small scale jazz, and currently own the AKG K340, Stax SR-404 and the Sigma Pro, all of which IMHO handle vocals better than the other headphones that I've previously owned, which include the A-T W100 and the Grado HP-1.

The only other headphone that I've heard which I prefer over those that I currently own is the Sony R-10, which is on my wish list. I also had the chance to audition the HD600, but was not very impressed. They sounded rather dark to me, especially for female vocals.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2002 at 7:28 AM Post #9 of 18
HappymaN,

Did you have a budget to spend on this thing?? I never saw you post one other than the part about not wanting to get an Orpheus, Stax or R10. It might help if you said below $800, below $400, etc. so we can narrow down the suggestions some!

Nov 15, 2002 at 9:36 AM Post #11 of 18
I would suggest you to get Sony MDR-CD-1700. To me, the CD-1700 sings the sweetest vocal out of my headphones experience. The soundstage on this is also amazing!

Purk

Nov 15, 2002 at 11:01 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
HappymaN,

Did you have a budget to spend on this thing?? I never saw you post one other than the part about not wanting to get an Orpheus, Stax or R10. It might help if you said below $800, below $400, etc. so we can narrow down the suggestions some!

Well I have arranged to purchase a HA-1. I will have it in a week or two. So whatever headphones I buy, I'm hoping that they will match well with the Corda. I already have HD600's, and am hoping that I will like them with the Corda.

Budget? Probably $300. I just finished high-school, and hence, will probably find some work over the Summer to purchase some more headphones.
evil_smiley.gif
Or I might even Blue my Corda with the money instead, and give the cable an upgrade on my HD600's.

Hmmm..... W100's? Or Blue my Corda + Cardas?

What do you think guys?

Nov 15, 2002 at 11:03 AM Post #13 of 18
Now that I think about it, ER-4S is probably the best bet?

Doh! *HappymaN slaps himself for selling his Ety's*

Nov 15, 2002 at 11:07 AM Post #14 of 18
HappymaN,

Wait to decide until someone gets their hands on the new AT A1000 or W1000 headphones before deciding anything!!! These should prove to be the next must have set of cans to come out in a while. Their predecessors were raved about here, so let's see if AT improved upon a well done design and didn't miss the boat!!

Nov 15, 2002 at 5:10 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by HappymaN
Well I have arranged to purchase a HA-1. I will have it in a week or two. So whatever headphones I buy, I'm hoping that they will match well with the Corda. I already have HD600's, and am hoping that I will like them with the Corda.

I might even Blue my Corda with the money instead, and give the cable an upgrade on my HD600's.

Hmmm..... W100's? Or Blue my Corda + Cardas?

What do you think guys?

HD600 plus Corda is a good match. But I liked the improvement that Blueing my Corda made so much with my HD600's that I've postponed getting any aftermarket cables for them.

Of course the Beyer DT931 and the Corda's 120 ohm jack are made for each other. But with my current rig, I've found that with many recordings the HD600 conveys better female vocals than the DT931. Of course, the 931 has its own areas of expertise, such as bringing out the best of poorer recordings, and sometimes being better for rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back