Best headphone for Classical and Acoustic music <$200
Nov 5, 2008 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

kinsale

100+ Head-Fier
What do you guys think is a great headphone for Classical and Acoustic music. Something easy to drive would be good. Must be comfortable to wear. My SR60 bug me after a while.

thanks all

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 35
I can't seem to find them on sale anywhere. But aren't they like $450??
Is there anything that comes close for cheaper?
I am intruiged by a headphone that was developed for acoustic and vocals though.

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by kinsale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't seem to find them on sale anywhere. But aren't they like $450??
Is there anything that comes close for cheaper?
I am intruiged by a headphone that was developed for acoustic and vocals though.

LOL. They come up on ebay and ebay german between 60-200 used..New they go for around 330.

Cheaper..600..701...501..

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #5 of 35
well I can get the 701 for $250.

Which would you go for. I only want to do this once, hopefully. Wait for the DT48e or just go for the 701.

The 701 needs an amp right? Is the DT48e easier to drive?

Thanks

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 35
The e versions range from 16,25,200 ohms..And very easy to drive. My a version is 5 ohms and ridiculously easy to drive.. If you are just going to use the 48's for classical, vocals and accoustics Id wait for the 48's.. If you will be listening to rock, Hip hop, or heavy metal I'd get the 701's.. They are better all arounders, while the 48's only excel at certain genres.. The 48's are better for small quartets.. Sound stage is small. But the sound stage is very cohesive, accurate and natural, with great decay and instrument placement.. The 701's will give you a larger and broader view of the music with high end sparkle and good instrument placement..The 701s are also airy and organic in presentation. The 48's are more grounded with a gritty type of realness.

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #7 of 35
The 701s need a good amp to really perform at their best.. And are very picky with amplification. But a amp that mates very well with 701's, you will be treated to a very fun filled and full filling experience.

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #8 of 35
The 48s really sound like what I am looking for. The 701s are tempting just because of what everyone says about them. But if I'm honest the 48s sound more appealing.
You selling your 48a?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #9 of 35
You can find the DT48 here:

Beyerdynamic | DT48E - Stereo Headphones - 25 Ohms | 404306

Their emailed price is $336, but it says they're out of stock. They used to be a special order item, so they might be able to order one from the factory for you. Also keep an eye on eBay since they used to go under $100 not too long ago.

The K-701 isn't bad for classical and acoustic material, but I think the K-501 beats it handily. Unfortunately, the K-501 is out of production, but I've seen them sell between $100-$150 used. They're somewhat common, so you will see them turn up pretty often.

Another out of production headphone that's great for acoustic and classical material is the AKG K-240DF. I think there's a pair on eBay right now. They're not hugely sought after, so you can often pick them up under $100.

One easily found headphone that's in production is the Sennheiser HD-600. I like the three above better, but the HD-600 is versatile and an excellent all around headphone. Classical and acoustic music is very enjoyable with it, though not quite as special as the DT48, K-501 and K-240DF.

And not to make you spend more money (
evil_smiley.gif
), but tube amps tend to have terrific synergy with acoustic and classical music. The natural mids are a sure match for glowing triodes.

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #10 of 35
No. I'd sell all my other phones before this one. A 48 owner put his 48's on sale recently. You can try to find them in the selling section..Erik owns 3 48's..You might want to ask him for a pair..200 is a fair price for them used. I bought mine used for 275. Well worth the investment, but your milage may very. Good luck! We need more 48 owners to spread the word on these puppies.

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can find the DT48 here:

Beyerdynamic | DT48E - Stereo Headphones - 25 Ohms | 404306

Their emailed price is $336, but it says they're out of stock. They used to be a special order item, so they might be able to order one from the factory for you. Also keep an eye on eBay since they used to go under $100 not too long ago.

The K-701 isn't bad for classical and acoustic material, but I think the K-501 beats it handily. Unfortunately, the K-501 is out of production, but I've seen them sell between $100-$150 used. They're somewhat common, so you will see them turn up pretty often.

Another out of production headphone that's great for acoustic and classical material is the AKG K-240DF. I think there's a pair on eBay right now. They're not hugely sought after, so you can often pick them up under $100.

One easily found headphone that's in production is the Sennheiser HD-600. I like the three above better, but the HD-600 is versatile and an excellent all around headphone. Classical and acoustic music is very enjoyable with it, though not quite as special as the DT48, K-501 and K-240DF.

And not to make you spend more money (
evil_smiley.gif
), but tube amps tend to have terrific synergy with acoustic and classical music. The natural mids are a sure match for glowing triodes.

240 sextetts? I'd favor the 600 and 501s over the 701s for the op's preference. I think it's safe to say, that anyone of the headphones we recommend will do his music justice and get his ears approval.

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by kinsale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about it Erik
wink.gif

I'll keep my eyes open for a pair.
If anyone reads this that has a pair they will part with please contact me.

My email is idalton@gmail.com

I thought about asking him too. I want to hear the e version.. But I already have a pair and you don't.

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the K702/701, and you will know...
wink.gif

ehhh. I sold my K701s for very same reasons I got them for. Neutral, flat, uninvolving.

Nope, I'm not going to miss them
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back