Best headphone for Classical and Acoustic music <$200
Nov 5, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
240 sextetts? I'd favor the 600 and 501s over the 701s for the op's preference. I think it's safe to say, that anyone of the headphones we recommend will do his music justice and get his ears approval.

240DF is different from the sextett. The 240DF is also more demanding of the amp than the sextett.

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ehhh. I sold my K701s for very same reasons I got them for. Neutral, flat, uninvolving.

Nope, I'm not going to miss them
wink.gif

Then the 48's would be satan to you.

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Then the 48's would be satan to you.

I would love to try it out, but I'm going straight to electrostats, so
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #19 of 35
On a serious note, they really have a unique sound.. So much so, that your brain needs to adjust to them after listening to another pair for a day or two. This happens everytime. Thats my main gripe.

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #20 of 35
Since you have sr60's I'm assuming your looking for something a notch higher that can be run ampless. I will recommend to you the ad700 especially for acoustic. It's extremely good for classical but I feel that it has a magical feeling for acoustic music. The soundstage and way it presents acoustic music leaves a magical feeling. I'm sure others who have heard ad700's will agree that it really shines and soothes with that kind of music.

Nov 5, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDRKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you have sr60's I'm assuming your looking for something a notch higher that can be run ampless. I will recommend to you the ad700 especially for acoustic. It's extremely good for classical but I feel that it has a magical feeling for acoustic music. The soundstage and way it presents acoustic music leaves a magical feeling. I'm sure others who have heard ad700's will agree that it really shines and soothes with that kind of music.

Isn't the sound colored with a recessed mid range?

Nov 5, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Isn't the sound colored with a recessed mid range?

colored - yes

recessed midrange - not that I noticed. A900 had a noticeable recession though.

Nov 5, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
colored - yes

recessed midrange - not that I noticed. A900 had a noticeable recession though.

I agree. There midrange is not very recessed, if it is at all. Some people tend to overemphasize some things on this site.

Nov 5, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #26 of 35
People really need to stop recommending phones at used prices. If you are looking for a classical phone at <$200 you can't do better than the AD700 IMHO. Great soundstage, great mids.

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People really need to stop recommending phones at used prices. If you are looking for a classical phone at <$200 you can't do better than the AD700 IMHO. Great soundstage, great mids.

Nothing wrong with buying used and saving some money. Some of the phones being recommended are out of production anyways, and difficult to find new.

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #29 of 35
Well in a few days I should have my hands and ears on a pair of dt48. The next step in my plan is for a headphone amp. I like acoustic and classical music. What would be a good match for the dt48. They are the 200 Ohm versions.
I want to spend less than $200. Used is fine.
thanks
Ian

Nov 7, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by kinsale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well in a few days I should have my hands and ears on a pair of dt48. The next step in my plan is for a headphone amp. I like acoustic and classical music. What would be a good match for the dt48. They are the 200 Ohm versions.
I want to spend less than $200. Used is fine.
thanks
Ian

The starving student tube amp.. 180. The 48's flourish with tube amplification. With the 48's you will go through your whole collection again...And if you don't like the sound, I'd like to buy it from you..I'd like an e model to compliment my a model.

Welcome to the exclusive DT48 club!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back