best headphone for 90$
Apr 24, 2014 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

mendo52

New Head-Fier
hi, I have Panasonic HTF600 and I am looking for upgrade. I will use it for my PC only, so no amp is required.

I am using the headphones for music (trance, pop, rock) and I love bass.

these are the headphones that I think they are the best for the price range ( not more than 90$ from amazon.com):
Sennheiser HD 449
Sennheiser HD 518
Sennheiser HD 439

Sennheiser HD 449
Sennheiser HD-280 PRO
Sony MDR7506
Sony MDRV6

Sony MDR10R

Can you please help me to decide which one is better for me.

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 24
The Hd280 are severely lacking in mid bass; they have a decent amount of bass extension and go pretty low, but you can't hear half the bass guitar parts in songs because they are so recessed there. I had a pair of HD280's for 7 years until they broke, and I honestly was never really a fan of their sound.

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #3 of 24
  The Hd280 are severely lacking in mid bass; they have a decent amount of bass extension and go pretty low, but you can't hear half the bass guitar parts in songs because they are so recessed there. I had a pair of HD280's for 7 years until they broke, and I honestly was never really a fan of their sound.

Thank you, So Sennheiser HD-280 PRO is excluded, any another help?

Apr 25, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #4 of 24
Ath-ws55 would be the BEST headphones for around 80$ . I believe there is no headphone better for that price. I have owned a pair and they have great bass (especially mid-bass) while also having have crystal clear clarity and sparkly highs for the female vocals and stringed instruments. It's just pure awesomeness when it comes to sound quality alone. But... The really bad news is that headphone clamp will absolutely make it uncomfortable for the first week (the hard clamp will eventually fade away though) and also it doesn't entirely go over your ears all the was so that will also be uncomfortable .If u don't like the comfortability u can return it for your money back. To me it was all worth it, after all it is only 80$

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #5 of 24
Ath-ws55 would be the BEST headphones for around 80$ . I believe there is no headphone better for that price. I have owned a pair and they have great bass (especially mid-bass) while also having have crystal clear clarity and sparkly highs for the female vocals and stringed instruments. It's just pure awesomeness when it comes to sound quality alone. But... The really bad news is that headphone clamp will absolutely make it uncomfortable for the first week (the hard clamp will eventually fade away though) and also it doesn't entirely go over your ears all the was so that will also be uncomfortable .If u don't like the comfortability u can return it for your money back. To me it was all worth it, after all it is only 80$

Ath-ws55 is a great headphone for bass and sound quality but its on the ear not over the ear ...  it can be a problem to me as I listen up to 6 hours in a day.
I cant return the the headphone I will buy because I live outside USA.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #6 of 24
My vote goes to the Sony MDR 7506. I own a pair and love them, as do others. The Wirecutter site named it the best over-ear headphone under $150, and its price is actually about $80. Read up on them, they're classic.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 24
Another vote to 7506.
HD4x9 gets stomped by a bunch of Senn's own models, then there's 7506 as well.

I also quite like AKG K240S, but its low bass seems to suck.  K181DJ looks like a good choice, too, going by reviews that I've read about it.

Well, due to everyone having different ears and headphones not coming out exactly the same from one to the next within the same model, it will all boil down to how you hear them yourself.

If you could push for something like DT770 or HD380 (not 280), you'll like those quite a bit more.

There's DTX501p, but that is more for portable listening.  It has gone quite up in price, I don't know what's the deal.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 24
Apr 26, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #9 of 24
Neither of the Sonys has much bass. I think HA-S500 is fine after burn in, so long as you like a V-shaped sound.

Apr 26, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #10 of 24
  Another vote to 7506.
HD4x9 gets stomped by a bunch of Senn's own models, then there's 7506 as well.

I also quite like AKG K240S, but its low bass seems to suck.  K181DJ looks like a good choice, too, going by reviews that I've read about it.

Well, due to everyone having different ears and headphones not coming out exactly the same from one to the next within the same model, it will all boil down to how you hear them yourself.

If you could push for something like DT770 or HD380 (not 280), you'll like those quite a bit more.

There's DTX501p, but that is more for portable listening.  It has gone quite up in price, I don't know what's the deal.

Thanks, so another vote for sony's headset
DT770 or HD380 : they are a great headphone, but there price range (135$) it high to me, i can get ATH-M50S for 120$.
DTX501p : on the ear headphone, I am afraid from comfortable issues, as I cant return the headset, so I will stick with Over the ear
  You should add a Superlux to your list. They cost much less than $90 but will compete with headphones in that price range. 
http://www.head-fi.org/products/superlux-hd-681-evo-black-professional-monitor-headphones

thank you, I will read a more about it, but do you think a 35$ headset can beats a 90$ one, as I have Panasonic HTF600 for now, Is there any sound improvement over my HTF600?

Neither of the Sonys has much bass. I think HA-S500 is fine after burn in, so long as you like a V-shaped sound.

thank you, JVC Victor HA-S500: on the ear with 14 reviews only on amazon.

Apr 26, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #11 of 24
$90 and you love bass.... Get the UE6000 or creative aurvana live! 

Apr 26, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #12 of 24
Honestly if you are able to, go somewhere where you can try the headphones. Buying headphones based on specs and the impressions of others is hard, and you never really know what you are going to get. Sadly there aren't many locations to test out headphones before buying though, and a lot of people buy online.

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #13 of 24
  $90 and you love bass.... Get the UE6000 or creative aurvana live! 2

Fixed.

I forgot about those, also fine choices.  I would take those, DT770, or HD380 over ATH-M50 any day.

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #14 of 24
Oct 22, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #15 of 24
CAD MH510 used is around $50~$60 bucks and has great lows, mids, while highs are there just relaxed a bit. it's basically a bassier version of an m40x/m50x with less sizzle. Also another option would be the SuperLux 631 DJ headphones which as excellent lows, and clear treble similiar to an M40X but with a good thump power.
Checking out sound demos the SuperLux 631 DJ's are clearer than the CAD MH510. But still provide excellent lows. and treble is top notch clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back