best headphone for 90$
Oct 23, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #16 of 24
  hi, I have Panasonic HTF600 and I am looking for upgrade. I will use it for my PC only, so no amp is required.

I am using the headphones for music (trance, pop, rock) and I love bass.

these are the headphones that I think they are the best for the price range ( not more than 90$ from amazon.com):
Sennheiser HD 449
Sennheiser HD 518
Sennheiser HD 439

Sennheiser HD 449
Sennheiser HD-280 PRO
Sony MDR7506
Sony MDRV6

Sony MDR10R

Can you please help me to decide which one is better for me.

Get the following:

1. Koss Portapro
2. Koss Sportapro
3. Koss KSC75
4. Parts Express headbands (2)

Combine Portapro and Sportapro drivers with PE headbands
Combine KSC75 drivers with Portapro or Sportapro headband

3 kickass pair of headphones. Excellent bass. Excellent treble. Nice mids. $90. Done. Win. 

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #17 of 24
Without knowing more about the OP's music preferences and other material factors,
I'd lean to the Senn HD 518's. , I tend to pick open headphones over closed.

I think the Yamaha HPH 200 are a very good value.  They're available in white
or black with the black slightly more expensive (no difference in sound, of course.)

Many listeners like the Philips SHP9500 HiFi.

And I'd certainly try to at least audition the Grado SR-80e's which receive positive
reviews continually.  (I had the 80i's the previous model, and thought they were
pretty great - the current "e" version is supposed to be even better.)

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #18 of 24
The philips are way below $90. I didn't find them to be particularly accurate. They are treble boosted--fun but artificial sound. 

The grade's are about $100. Also with greatly boosted treble. 

Oct 24, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #19 of 24
  The philips are way below $90. I didn't find them to be particularly accurate. They are treble boosted--fun but artificial sound. 

The grade's are about $100. Also with greatly boosted treble. 

So what are some headphones that you like?  - knowing what they are and 
generally what kind of sound appeals to you should make it easier to
recommend some others.  
cool.gif

Oct 24, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #21 of 24
Um...this thread is over two years old, guys.
blink.gif

But yeah, I actually like my Koss KTXPRO1 a lot more than the MDR-7506/V6, HD 280, and many other headphones around or even far above that price range. I had a used KSC75 (same drivers as the KTXPRO1; different enclosure), but aside from the sparkly treble and soundstage, it sounded inferior and too weak. (Pushing it close to my ears didn't help either. Dunno if something was wrong with it or a new one would sound better.) The UR40 is better in some ways, but not enough for me to prefer it. I also have a UR55 that is much better technically, but so bad tonally that I would never recommend it without EQ.

The SHP9500 might be one of the best contenders with EQ. It's a little bright, slightly bass-light, and doesn't have very good dynamics. The airy sound is enjoyable, though, and it's very comfortable. This modification improves the sound.

The STAX SR-30 is by far the best headphone I've owned under $100, but it's vintage and not the easiest to find.

Oct 24, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #22 of 24
Porta Pro is ok for the very low price, but cannot really compete with the likes of Aurvana Live if you have about 50 bucks to spend.

Creative Aurvana Live is my recommendation for most folks for less than 100 bucks, here's my review:

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk2Yo-KoARU[/VIDEO]

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #24 of 24
Try the CAD MH510 aka THE SESSIONS. they are excellent cans. they are better than the M40X and are on par with the M50X.
They only differences I'd say between the CAD MH510 (The Sessions) vs the Audio Technica's ATH-M50x is this...

M50X has lack of balanced mids because of V/U shape curve.
M50X has shrill/a little on the bright side highs.
M50X has a mid bass hump that can affect mixing/mastering.
M50X is overpriced and super hyped up.
M50X has 3 detachable cables.
M50X has a bag.
M50X is basically used by alot of mainstream/non mainstream consumers wanting a bassy yet hifi headphone.

MH510's have full body and clear mids and crisp highs.
MH510's have good low end reproduction starting at 15 Hz.
MH510's can be utilized with a amp that has bass emphasis to turn them into bass cannons with good mids and highs.
MH510's come with two cables (detachable) and a headphone bag.
MH510's are close to neutral but have a slight emphasis in lows while keeping mids and highs balanced with the low end.
MH510's are neutralish but also warm (there isn't a shrill quality to them).
MH510's come with replaceable earpads (velour) the stock ones are pleather.
MH510's have 50mm drivers is probably why they are a capable of a good low end but I also have a 30mm driver headphones that reproduced a smaller but audible low end. The 50mm drivers in the MH510 just allow for a better auditory experience.

MH510's are cheaper than an M50X and a M40X. You can buy a good amp to make them into bass monsters if desired.
You can use the extra money saved to invest into other things or save your money in general. If you are a regular college student or a highschool student the CAD MH510's are just a better for price and performance. They are in-between the M40X and M50X. It's like an M45x if it existed. They have similiar capabilities of the m40x's neutrality while having similiar bass that extends deeper than the M50X without lowering the mids and highs and keeping them fairly balanced.

So basically CAD MH510's have deeper bass extension than the M50x. And they don't subdue the mids and they make them clear and audible and clean. Yet somewhere in upper range it is slightly warm could be because of the headphone cups and spacing between ear. It's a good experience I'd order a pair to demo you can always return them back for credit but I do recommend giving them a try if you are looking for a decent headphone for under $80 bucks. But want the qualities of a $100+ dollar headphone.

Here is some videos reviewing them:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back