Best headphone connector type (balanced)
Oct 28, 2018 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Pars

Can Jam '10 Organizer
Hi,
I have a pair of HifiMan HE4XX (Massdrop) which use the 2.5mm connectors on each headphone. These are crap, and cut out if I move my head the wrong way, etc., so I was toying with replacing them with something better.

I was wondering what other connector types people use and how they like them. I have tried the Mr. Speakers Hirose connectors (on a pair of Aeons) and liked them, but wanted to ask around as there might be something better that I am unaware of. I have also used a Switchcraft mini-XLR 4 pin on my modded Fostex T50s, but for the HifiMan wanted to stick to separate cables to each cup as they are stock.

Plus for something that is around the same diameter as the 2.5mm jacks currently in the headphone cups.

Oct 29, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 6
My preferred way is to hardwire headphones with ~ 1.5m long cable terminated with single 4-pin Tiny XLR (Neutrik-Rean) connector at amplifier end.
Then make long or short adapter cables if needed (for regular size 4-pin XLR or unbalanced jacks) – with male connector. You end up with connectors in the middle of the cable though.
Tiny xlr is good for cables of OD around 5mm max.

That 2.5mm jacks at headphone cups are st*pid, especially at this price level.

rt4fc-b.jpg

rt5mc-b.jpg

Oct 29, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 6
My preferred way is to hardwire headphones with ~ 1.5m long cable terminated with single 4-pin Tiny XLR (Neutrik-Rean) connector at amplifier end.
Then make long or short adapter cables if needed (for regular size 4-pin XLR or unbalanced jacks) – with male connector. You end up with connectors in the middle of the cable though.
Tiny xlr is good for cables of OD around 5mm max.
I prefer the mini XLRs as well. If I want detachable, I hardwire and allow a couple inches below the cup, then terminate with 4 pin XLR males as shown above, which I simply call pigtails. You can also run to the Y split and have a single 4 pin mini XLR there. Small connections like the 2.5mm and the miniature coaxial SMC are pretty poor in my opinion and don't stand up to normal wear and tear. The MrSpeakers DUM connectors are great, but are likely too large, as would be Hiroses. The HD800 connectors or similar Lemo connectors may fit, but are pricey.

...thus, I wish all manufacturers would use mini XLR, but that will never happen :wink:

Oct 29, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 6
I'll have to pull a connector and measure to see what kind of diameter I can get away with. I'm not going to put in pigtails or whatever, but replace the connectors.
The MrSpeakers connectors are Hirose BTW. Apparently there are some Chinese Lemo knockoffs which are supposed to be pretty good (and affordable) as well.
What min XLRs do you guys like? I've used Switchcraft which are OK. Maybe some REAN 3-pin tiny XLRs would work, ala Audeze I believe (though I think they use 4-pin)?

Oct 29, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 6
REAN are the best value. Switchcraft work fine as well, but not quite as good as the REAN and more expensive. Furutech has some rhodium plated versions which closely resemble the Switchcraft, but probably not worth using with the HE4XX. There's also plenty of knock-offs of the Switchcraft from overseas, they work fine, but the REAN is still better from a price/value ratio. I won't buy the non-branded Lemos as I've paid good money and received bad ones that fall out, but if you find someone with a good source, it might be worth trying. Eidolic makes their own HD800 connectors which are very good imho. I was using the Furutech ones before that because I could trust them to hold up, but at $100 a pair it's a little ridiculous.

Audeze does use four pins. I recommend following their pin assignments if you can as they are compatible with both Audeze and ZMF.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 6
Once I determine measurements, I might go with the REAN if they will work. The Neutrik/REAN connectors I have used in the past for various things have been fine. Furutech and Eidolic are way too pricey without any benefit that I can see other than mysticism... but then I'm not much of a wire or materials believer. I like rhodium plating, but the sonic benefit eludes me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back