Best Headphone/amp combo no price
Sep 24, 2002 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

WillSmoke

New Head-Fier
This may sound like a noob question, but ive been following this board for a few months now and have read alot of different opinions from alot of different people about alot of different setups. I am looking to compile, if not build upon, my audio setup, which at the moment is headphone-less. I am interested in the best headphone/ amp (preferably portable) combo that will be mainly be used for Rock (Paul Simon, Cat stevens, Rolling Stones, The Who, U2, REM, Radiohead, and RHCP). I would like to be able to get good classical response (Bach, mozart) and possibly somthing that would allow for PC Gaming (hence the Portable amp). I Know i just rambled on for like 10 minutes, but just one last thing, price really isnt an option, i would just like to hear suggestions, if u have any questions about the source, or my previous phones, just leave a post.

Sep 24, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 50
DT250-80 sounds good w/o an amp; very forgiving of poor sources, $150. Mabye throw in an AirHead amp, but the improvement is almost inaudible.

DT250-80 sounds balanced with slightly rolled-off highs, lotsa midrange/upper mids

Next step up would be imho the DT770-250 ohm with, say, a cheap AirHead amp ($170 or so + $100 for amp at headroom).

DT770 sounds airy, less upper mids, lots of smooth treble, solid bass response down to inaudible frequencies when powered properly.

I can't comment on any other headphones / amps because the above list is all I have heard. However, other people will probably recommend decent Sennheisers, Grados, Etymyotic, or AKG depending on what kind of musical presentation you want from your headphones.

Cheers,
Geek

Sep 24, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #3 of 50
i haven't heard this combo, but if price isn't an object (that is what you are saying, right?):
headphones: etymotic er4s
amp: headroom cosmic

Sep 24, 2002 at 4:19 AM Post #4 of 50
Another vote for the Cosmic.
A very good, hearty (ie it can handle being portable without falling apart!) portable amp. I'm a big fan of the Headroom process, which allows me to listen for longer without getting a headache (headphone fatigue is not fun). You really can't go wrong with it. You can even add the base station one for better sound at home. The cosmic is good because you can pair it with many headphones - from Etys, to Sennheiser HD600s, to Grados, or something else. There isn't exactly something that will be perfect for rock _and_ classical, so you may want to look into getting some cans for each situation. Just search the archives and you will find loads of information.

You should also look into the META42 DIY design for an amp(some Head-Fier's can build them for you if you're not into DIY). It supposedly can compete with the Cosmic when built with quality parts, for much less than a new cosmic. Again, just search the archives. It's all there!

Sep 24, 2002 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 50
I'll second redshifter's recomendation.

I have the etys 4s and the supreme with the upgraded module. They sound fantastic. However, the cosmic or supreme is not very portable, especially with the battery pack.

Sep 24, 2002 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 50
Got 10k?

Sony r-10 headphones + r10h custom built headphone amp.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Biggie.

Sep 24, 2002 at 5:04 AM Post #8 of 50
Orpheus + full-time team to carry a) the amp and b) the generator behind you.

biggrin.gif

The Etys seem to get the most positive feedback here and they seem to be the most practical for your needs. I haven't heard them though, so it's literally hearsay.

My suggestion, if money really is no object, is to get something for portable, something else for home listening - probably one for classical, one for rock - and something else for gaming.

I use the latter method - I currently use the Sony MDR-V700DJ / Technics RP-DJ1200A / Sony MDR-D66 Eggo for portable listening, Grado SR225 for home general purpose, the Technics RP-FDA100 for home classical, the Sennheiser HD280 Pro for audio editing, and the Beyerdynamic DT231 for gaming.

Sep 24, 2002 at 5:29 AM Post #9 of 50
since u're born exactly a year and a day after me, i feel a certain kinship that compells me to reply...
tongue.gif

i dunno bout u, but i'm in my soph year in college, and i seriously spent WAAYY too much money last year. it's not even that my dad got on my case about it (he didn't mind that much), but i've learnt that it's just good to get into the habit of conserving money, and the best time to start is when u're in college when u've just begun life away from ur parents (if u're plodding along the well-trodden path of education that most conformists like me tend to, then u've just started ur freshman year...). okay, enuff with the annoying pedantic advice based on ungrounded assumptions about u, now for some more applicable advice based on stuff u've told us. heh, sorry about that, i just had to get it outta my system since i give the same schpiel to everyone i know who's just starting college...

with my advice in mind, i say ur best option is the er6. however, if u really have no budget in mind, do as Magicthyse says, not with the orpheus thing
tongue.gif
but with the having a portable rig and a separate big rig thing. a lotta gamers i've met really like using senns (HD580 or 600) for gaming, so u mite wanna look into that. that could also double for ur big rig, plus it's great for most of the music u listen to (tho i think the beyer sound and the audio technica w100/2002 sound is much better fitted for classical). if u want a separate portable rig, definitely go with ety4s + meta42, and an added bonus is that if u buy the senns, the etys will sound more appropriate for those classical sessions imho.

hope this helped (without offending u too much)!
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: btw, if u REALLY have a lotta money and u buy meta42, senn 600, AND ety4s, and u're still craving to spend more, consider buying some tube amps to really maximize ur senn sound... and while u're at it, ATH-W2002 for an unbeatable classical sound...

hehe, it's like i'm living out all my wildest spending spree dreams thru my advice to u...

Sep 24, 2002 at 3:48 PM Post #11 of 50
Well i think i have narrowed it down for the moment. Either setup 1:Ety4s, corda, and HD 600's, or setup 2: Grado RS 1's, and a Grado RA1. If anyone has an opinion on which would be the better choice, i would like to hear it. Also, any adaptation or adition advice would be appreciated (within the general price of the the mentioned setups, after hearing taipeileviathan, i figured maybe i should save some cash for later
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2002 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 50
i think setup 1 is a good choice. rs1's u won't be able to use on the road, and even tho they're simply amazing, i personally don't think that the RA1 is THAT great of an amp for its price. but that's just me.

about the corda tho, i haven't been hearing too much about them on the forums. anybody wanna compare the corda vs the TAH? i'm actually quite curious myself as to how those two stack up against each other...

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2002 at 7:09 PM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by darkclouds
I'll second redshifter's recomendation.

I have the etys 4s and the supreme with the upgraded module. They sound fantastic. However, the cosmic or supreme is not very portable, especially with the battery pack.

Exactly. When I decided I wanted the Cosmic it was because I planned to take it with me sometimes, but not exactly as a portable amp for my commute... If you travel long distance on a regular basis though...
I would like to add that anyone considering an Ety4S + Cosmic combination should be very sure to have enough left for a really comfortable piece of furniture.
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2002 at 7:15 PM Post #15 of 50
What would be a good amp for ety4s thats actually portable. Would a porta Corda be a good choice, its the most portable amp i can think of, its also moderatley priced, so i could still get a diff home amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back