Best Headphone + Amp Combo for $600 or Less?
May 27, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #16 of 23
In an attempt to avoid piecemeal upgrading and wasting $600 on a mediocre rig that would only leave me hungry for something greater, I have decided to increase my budget to $2000.

As of now, I am leaning towards the JH-13pro or JH-3A.  I have demoed the JH-13pro and was entirely satisfied with its performance.  I eagerly await JH-3A reviews and a possible demo before making my final decision.

May 27, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #18 of 23
iems?  That's like asking about cars and settling on a motorcycle.  For a general orientation, you should see what people like who have heard everything.  Along these lines, I think the above suggestion is a good one.  HE-500 really do sound amazing (easily bested all my headphones) and are so easy to drive/mate with an amp that you could have a stellar headphone possible rig for around $1000, or less if you use a stereo.  The same is often said about LCD-2, but I haven't heard those yet.

May 28, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #19 of 23
For $2000, you can get either the LCD-2 or HE-500. I've heard both and preferred the LCD-2 but the HE-500 are very good as well. It just depends what kind of music you prefer. 
I recommend tube amps for both headphones unless you're getting a top class SS amp which would go outside your budget. You can choose between the WA6, Lyr or EF5 to drive these cans and select one of the Audio-gd dacs that fit your budget.

May 28, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #20 of 23
Yes, it is like asking about cars and settling on a motorcycle . . . a motorcycle that is faster, more efficient and performs better than the bulkier alternative. 

Plus, chicks dig the implications of danger, man.

May 29, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #21 of 23
Hi!

600 US$

I would buy this:

Sennheiser HD598 $250
Schiit Asgard $250

Take wife for Dinner $100 as compensation for not seeing husband for the next few days without headphones.

Total $600

Jun 1, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #22 of 23

Quote:

Take wife for Dinner $100 as compensation for not seeing husband for the next few days without headphones.

A scholar and a gentleman, that's what you are sir.
Except that he's stretched the budget to $2,000.

comperic: 
You know what? Go for the JH13's. Unlike the rest of the suggestions being discussed, you've actually tried the 13's and were "completely satisfied with their performance". What setup were they hooked up to? Might as well recreate (or better) it.

Plus you'll get to bring them on the go--what's not to like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back