Best head-amp for MDR-R10?
May 27, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 20
Well, when I had a pair of these for about a year, I absolutely loved them with the Leben CS-300. I can't claim it's the best, since I haven't heard everything, but it was certainly very, very good.

May 28, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 20
The ALO Audio, Ray Samuel Audio offers very highend Amplifiers and they will match better for these special headphones(R10 are amazing headphones).

May 28, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #8 of 20
I tried several highend amps (tube and solidstate) with R10s (multiple pairs) and found the Rudistor RP010B the best.
There is some agreement here (independent of my findings) that Rudistor matches well well with R10s.
They need something kind of warm but controlled.

As far as DACs go, a Playback Designs CDP worked well with them (filled out the highs nicely, adding some substance and image size), so maybe one of their DACs would be good.
(I think they make DACs.)

May 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #10 of 20
For the amp, the best amp it is this one you like.

The R10 is a kind of easy to drive headphone. Even on my macbook pro out, it sounds amazing with Flac Hi rez.

Just one rule : listen before to buy, and listen with your fav records ! :wink:

Jun 3, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #11 of 20
On paper the Woo WA-234 looks like it would be a perfect fit, as I've always thought the R10s would be a great pairing with some great 300B/2A3 tubes. I adore my SDS-XLR (which was custom built and tuned for the R10s), but that WA-234 may tempt me enough to try it out.

Jun 3, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 20
My modded Cary 300sei with  WE300bs / sylvainiaVt231 is the amp of my choice with my bass heavy R10s. this combo plus the HEV90/HE 90 never fail to pull you into the Music
where you forget about every thing else.
So the R10s respond real well to 300bs.

Jun 3, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #13 of 20
It's a tricky recommendation because of significant safety/reliability/build quality/builder quality issues on many of this former company's products (buyer beware, especially on the later products), but the plain truth is that the best I've heard the R10 is from a Singlepower SDS w/ 6BL7GTA outputs, or an SDS-XLR. It's not even close, else I wouldn't mention the company again here. The SDS sounded a good deal better than my Zana Deux -- an excellent amp with a great pedigree. Of course there are many more choices today, and I never did get to try the likes of the Cary 300sei, etc.

I believe in tube amps for the R10, but you'll need a pretty stout amp with stout output tubes and at least a reasonably low output impedance. You'll lose power REAL quick given higher output impedances -- the non-balanced Singlepower amps with plain 2x 6SN7 outputs do NOT cut it. 

Jun 4, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #14 of 20
I very much agree with you, mulveling. The downfall of SinglePower was a real loss for R10 owners. The SDS-XLR is still, by a wide margin, the best amp I've heard with it, but finding one that works and has good build quality (and is actually for sale) is as rare as finding the Yeti. That's why I hopes that the WA-234 can fill that gap. The addition of a rectifier tube should clean up the potential muddiness of the 300Bs, and it has settings for both low and high impedance.

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:
I very much agree with you, mulveling. The downfall of SinglePower was a real loss for R10 owners. The SDS-XLR is still, by a wide margin, the best amp I've heard with it, but finding one that works and has good build quality (and is actually for sale) is as rare as finding the Yeti. That's why I hopes that the WA-234 can fill that gap. The addition of a rectifier tube should clean up the potential muddiness of the 300Bs, and it has settings for both low and high impedance.

My cary has no muddiness with the 300bs but it is modded,so it is not the tube itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back