Best HD650 System for $0-1300
Mar 22, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #46 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Monarchy M24 is by far the best DAC you will find at anything near $1000, not until you start getting into truly silly money will you find something better. You can find more in Lynn Olson's PFO review where he also explains the technical reasons behind why it sounds so darn good.

My advice would be to buy the Monarchy DAC with whichever amp fits your budget, and in the future when funds allow you can upgrade the rest of your setup to the same level as the DAC.

The Monarchy DAC looks quite interesting, however I notice that the price on the 2007 unit is $1,590. To fit in NtD Gr3nade's budget, he'd need to find a used one. And if he needs an amp as well, then that changes things significantly.

Mar 22, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #47 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by OracleGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Monarchy DAC looks quite interesting, however I notice that the price on the 2007 unit is $1,590. To fit in NtD Gr3nade's budget, he'd need to find a used one. And if he needs an amp as well, then that changes things significantly.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....onv&1177278807

Mar 22, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #48 of 59
Quote:

About the Monarchy DAC, I noticed on their website that it is listed for $1,590. But within the past few weeks I have seen them listed on Audiogon as new for $980 by the same person. I think that the $1,590 is the suggested retail price, but the actual street price for new is $980.

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #49 of 59
Quote:

What??!! You mean people actually buy stuff new??!
eek.gif

Street price on them is about $1000 or so, leaving $300 for an amp.

Mar 26, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #52 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by NtD Gr3nade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the new cables and amp/source fit budget? Balanced is pricey nowadays...

you can get a balanced cable for around $100.

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #53 of 59
Quote:

Wow, $85 for shipping on the Stello's. That may take a few weeks longer to save.

But they will arrive very quickly (and safely) with DHL shipping.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #54 of 59
Looks like funding may set back a month or so, I just ran across some hard to find racing flats for SL (I just bought GS), and they are legal lenght too (If anyone here races SL, they know how hard it is to find 165 stocks). That is going to set me back a bit, so the HP100 might not be in till late summer now...
frown.gif

Mar 27, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #56 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the problem with the HD650 is that the stock cable is so crappy.

confused.gif

as far as stock cables go, i actually think it is one of the best.

Mar 31, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #57 of 59
If you're willing to buy used, my setup is the sweetest HD 650 setup I've heard:

Grace Design M902 -> HD-650

M902 is a DAC, preamp and headamp all in one. Sounds almost as good as my kW SACD. (sorry kW)

Mar 31, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #58 of 59
Quote:

How much are Headphile balanced cables, and are they any good?

Purchase from Alex at apuresound.com. Alex recabled my SA5000 & the turn around day was 1!! Incredible work, & cheaper then the rest..He will also change connectors for free if you change between male to female. Vis Versa. I prefer Alex over the others cause you can talk with him over AIM all day if you like..Helpful. Very quick. Very fair pricing, & quality build..Also, he will recable ANY headphone, unlike headphile, headroom etc..

Check the link in my thread.. Those are my SA5000 he racabled..
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back