best Grado mods to improve on sound quality
Mar 2, 2008 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

noseallinit

500+ Head-Fier
what is the best mods to improve on sound quality that you have made to your plastic body Grado/ Alessandro model headphones to make them a bit closer to RS2/ 1 wood body models? dampening, recabling, etc..

since I have had me RS1's I do not care much for using me SR225's but the 225's are the headphones I want to use in transportable situations. I do want to keep the plastic bodies but have read a little of people dampening them. the blue tack method is one I have read about but what about to the body itself? any good pix of this? as far as recabling do you think there is a particular cable that is best for them or do you think the stock RS2/1 UHPLC copper cable would be the best choice. anything else?

thanks!

Mar 2, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is the best mods to improve on sound quality that you have made to your plastic body Grado/ Alessandro model headphones to make them a bit closer to RS2/ 1 models? dampening, recabling, etc..

since I have had me RS1's I do not care much for using me SR225's but the 225's are the headphones I want to use in transportable situations. I do want to keep the plastic bodies but have read a little of people dampening them. any good pix of this? as far as recabling do you think there is a particular cable that is best for them or do you think the stock RS2/1 cable would be the best choice. anything else?

thanks!

Hey mate.

I'm a stoked RS1 owner as well (also have 225's here at the house but there's no comparing the two, really).

Anyway ... see the Shack Hack mod in my sig; it's worked wonders for my RS1's and should also do well for the 225's depending on the sound your looking for.

Another mod I've found quite lovely for the RS1's is the very popular tape mod, although I found that putting un punched electric tape on the bowls resulted in just too much muffling ...

So, I punched some holes along the tape length and it worked great ... just the right addition to the bass punch without being muffled or closed off sounding:

tapemod.jpg

In that photo, you can also see what the shack hack mod looks like ...

Those two easy mods have seriously warmed up the RS1's and given them a much more (to my ear, mind you) agreeable tone/image. They are also just as comfortable as my Senn 580's and/or any other headphone I've used, maybe even the most comfortable I've had (real cush with the added foam over the driver).

BTW ... since I've got about 200 hours on my new RS1's now ... the other 'mod' I'd have to suggest is proper burn-in; pretty sure the 225's are just as subject to such, but my RS1's are completely different than they were three weeks ago and when purchased new.

Have fun.

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway ... see the Shack Hack mod in my sig; it's worked wonders for my RS1's and should also do well for the 225's depending on the sound your looking for.

your shack hack mod really looks good and comfy. I got a set of pads in here that I can try with me bowls so I will give it a whirl..

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by larryminator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Upgrade.
biggrin.gif

although I would like to have a second set of RS1's, maybe some old 325's or MS2's I'm really looking to mod me 225's to get there signature a little closer to the RS1's.

I think the blue tack method on the back of the driver is one but what about dampening the body itself. has anyone tried dampening the body? with any good pics showing this?

would I be better off using the stock UHPLC copper cable that the RS1 comes with or with someone's experieince is there really a better cable? I really like the way the stock RS1's sound but I have no experience with cable mods. one head-fi member stated he preferred the stock UHPLC copper cable over any other he tried and ended up going back to the stock UHPLC copper cable.

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
flats.

True.

If you plan on modding the SR-225, blue tack on back of driver, flats and source upgrade are the way to go for better sound quality
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by larryminator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blue tack on back of driver,

I have heard about this many times but never really knew exactly how its done. Can someone elaborate on this? Any tutorials? Do i just stick it on? How much of the metal part should it cover? how thick should it be? Will it come off after ive reinstalled the grill?

Mar 3, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #13 of 13
Punched tape...thats brilliant! I'll have to try that out.

I agree with S1rrah though. The RatShack pads have warmed the sound up, and made the phones more comfy. The tape mod is good, but I've noticed stiffens the bowls up too much and can cause comfort problems (I have huge ears though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back