Best Grado headphones for newbie
Oct 30, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #16 of 25
One thing you might want to watch out for is the size of the jack! I know the SR225s & 325is have the 1/4 Jack. you would need an adapter to get it down to size for your player. One thing nobody's mentioned yet would be to try Allesandro's MS1, they are great starter cans, some say they are better than the SR80s, closer to 125s!

Oct 30, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #17 of 25
The MS1 is a good recommendation. I'd actually say they are on SR225 level personally. Also a good point about the 1/4" jack, though it's easy to reterminate them. I was sort of joking about the RS-1's, but a little serious as well. If you start at the bottom, you inevitably work your way to the top and spend a lot of money getting there. If you start right at the top, you're done.
wink.gif

Go big or go home.
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #19 of 25
That's crazy talk!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #20 of 25
I started at the top, or close to it, with Grado GS1000, and have no regrets what so ever, but they're not portable, and I need to get some others, Kraftwerk is nearly hopeless on grado imo. For portables i recommend audiotechnica, some closed back version (ES7?) and skip the portable amp, usually just additional weight, save up for a decent stationary instead. ooh, and Panasonic RP-HTX7 is really sexy

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #22 of 25
Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

I vote for getting the SR-225. A quite audible step up from the SR-60, SR-80, ...

Oct 31, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #24 of 25
when it comes down to it, if grados are what you want then my recommendation is to buy the highest model you can afford. Go used by a head-tier on the FS forum and be happy for a long long time or until you come back to these forums
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #25 of 25
My $0.02: I'm still thoroughly enjoying my SR60s, even though I know I'll eventually succumb to upgradeitis. I've found them to be quite versatile - they're absolutely not a "rock-only" set of 'phones. They've handled anything I've thrown at it: rock, classical (orchestral, chamber, and choral), country, blues, jazz (old-school and new)... they Just Work for my ears. I normally run them from my E-MU 0404 USB, but my Sansa also drives them quite well.

I didn't audition them before buying - I took a chance and loved what I heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back