Best Grado Headphone..?
Sep 25, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #32 of 56

Quote:
Have your say! All for fun and I'm really quite anticipating your vote.

Maybe you should have limited the poll to Best Grado under $700 (RS1 and under) Oh well, like you said it's just for fun, but you did leave off the Grado that intrigues me the most right now, the HF2. Of the 3 I've heard, the 60, 225, and MS2. I think I favored the 225 but the MS2 is growing on me.

Quote:
baka1969 said:

Baka what's the sound signature of the HF2 like compared to the 225 or even the RS1 if you know. I dont think I'm willing to jump all the way to the RS! but would definitely consider the HF2; and I've read several posts of those that have heard both that prefer the HF2 over the RS1. My perception from other stuff I've read is that the HF2 deviates from the Grado house sound somewhat, but in a good way. Anyway any impressions that you or others can give as to why you like HF2 the best would be appreciated.

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #35 of 56
I have RS1s (too bright and fatiguing--good for TV with treble turned down, very light/comfortable with flats),  and had/sold GS1000s (musical but strangely exaggerated soundstage--extremely comfortable).

Now I have PS1000s, and I could honestly live with these as a final, permanent headphone (after, sigh..., putting a strip of half-inch thick foam under the under-padded headband using electrical tape; now they are very comfortable, even though they are slightly heavy, but it feels like a good solid weight, not something annoying).
The PS1000s have a nice tight bass, natural integrated highs, and even more natural mids/vocals. Just a balanced sound overall; they work well with tubes and solid state. They sound much better than HD800s with solid state to me (no overwrought highs/upper mids like in the HD800s with some solid state I have tried). They are a very versatile headphone with different amps, not assaultive in any way but still have an excitement factor.

Sep 25, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #36 of 56
I much prefer the RS-1's and even the SR225's to the GS1000's (unless I press them closer to my ears - which is too much work), and most others. 

Haven't bought the PS1000's yet... and may not, since they're way, way overpriced.  You have to appreciate "nuance" a lot, to justify their price. 

But... whether any Grado sounds too bright, or strident, depends on how well they're matched to the set up - with the right set up they're not at all bright, or uncontrolled in any manner.  And the tape mod to the bowls adds a much larger soundstage.  I found the flat pads just muddy the sound, and eliminate any soundstage - are an incredible waste of money (if you're going to ruin the sound of the phones).  

They all sound great, when properly matched to the electronics - if not, then don't waste you're money. 

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #37 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneelJung  

Quote:
" Baka what's the sound signature of the HF2 like compared to the 225 or even the RS1 if you know. I dont think I'm willing to jump all the way to the RS! but would definitely consider the HF2; and I've read several posts of those that have heard both that prefer the HF2 over the RS1. My perception from other stuff I' ve read is that the HF2 deviates from the Grado house sound somewhat, but in a good way. Anyway any impressions that you or others can give as to why you like HF2 the best would be appreciated."

I've only heard the RS1 briefly so I'll just comment on the 225(i). The HF2 one is definitely a warmer headphone compared to the 225. The bass on the HF2 has much more impact. Some of that might be a mid bass hump, but it doesn't really intrude on the mids. I think with the richer mids the HF2 is more balanced than the 225. I'm not pretending the HF2 is a balanced headphone or loses the Grado family sound, I'm just saying, to me, it's a bit more balanced. The HF2 is quite a bit more refined overall also. The highs aren't as aggressive (harsh?). The HF2 is truly a great Grado. I often miss them. They also improved (mainly soundstage) with the jumbo pads, IMHO, where other Grados did not or made the sound worse.

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #38 of 56
Aren't the highs cut off on the HF-2s to make them as warm as they are?

Don't get me wrong if cutting the highs off is necessary do so but I just read somewhere that the freq. response cuts at 20khz.

I've noticed a lot of companies doing so for their phones lately, cutting the high ends off for less treble, but it seems consumers are so caught up that they can hear past the 20khz range *sigh*.

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #39 of 56
Best Grado I have heard or own is Joe Grado modded HP1000, followed closely by vintage RS1.
Best value for money by far- HF2.

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #40 of 56
What is up with the poll options.
Several of the highest regarded (read: Best) Grado headphones are missing...
* PS1
* PS1000
* HP1000 (HP1, HP2 & HP3)
* HF1
* HF2
* GS1000i

Sadly never heard it myself, but from what I have read up I am quite sure the HP1000 would be my ideal (read: Best) Grado headphone.

Sep 25, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #42 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmathis  
" What is up with the poll options. Several of the highest regarded (read: Best) Grado headphones are missing... * PS1 * PS1000 * HP1000 (HP1, HP2 & HP3) * HF1 * HF2 * GS1000i
Sadly never heard it myself, but from what I have read up I am quite sure the HP1000 would be my ideal ( read: Best) Grado headphone."

I was fortunate enough to listen to he HP1000. Sadly is was a brief encounter under meet conditions. They sounded more balanced than an other Grado I've heard. I think, on a budget, the HF2 isn't a bad alternative.

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #44 of 56
Sep 26, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #45 of 56

Quote:
What is up with the poll options.
Several of the highest regarded (read: Best) Grado headphones are missing...
* PS1
* PS1000
* HP1000 (HP1, HP2 & HP3)
* HF1
* HF2
* GS1000i

Sadly never heard it myself, but from what I have read up I am quite sure the HP1000 would be my ideal (read: Best) Grado headphone.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmathis  
" What is up with the poll options. Several of the highest regarded (read: Best) Grado headphones are missing... * PS1 * PS1000 * HP1000 (HP1, HP2 & HP3) * HF1 * HF2 * GS1000i
Sadly never heard it myself, but from what I have read up I am quite sure the HP1000 would be my ideal ( read: Best) Grado headphone."

I was fortunate enough to listen to he HP1000. Sadly is was a brief encounter under meet conditions. They sounded more balanced than an other Grado I've heard. I think, on a budget, the HF2 isn't a bad alternative.

Hi baka 1969,
Your impression of the HP1000 from the brief encounter is spot on. They are more balanced than other Grados I have heard and I have heard a few. The sound is detailed and yet less in your face than the modern day Grados (John's). . Of course they can sound even better with Joe's upgrade.
I don't own a pair of PS1000 or spent enough time with them to make a comment. They could be the best but I am not qualified to say. :)
To me there are only RS1 (or maybe MS pro) out of the original poll options can even make it to the short list to be considered the best Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back