Best Grado Headphone..?
Sep 24, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #16 of 56

Quote:
There are quite a few missing candidates even if you want to make it into "The best of currently available Grados" contest.
Anyways, I can't vote since I have not heard most of the headphones on this list. :frowning2:

pcf I want to know what "candidates" I am missing? To be blunt, you make complete utter non-sense.

I've listed the entire Grado line that is available to consumers via general market excluding 2 high end products to clean the votes up.

So whats the deal?

Sep 24, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #17 of 56
PS1000
GS1000
HF-2

Considering the frequency with which HP-1000 come around second hand they can hardly be considered unobtainable. 
I guess the same applies to non-i grados too.

Sep 24, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #19 of 56
Why does it make a difference if they are new or old? They are going to be old when you sell them.

since you have not expressed a preference for any knod of sound signature how is anyone to make a good reccomendation of what to buy?

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #20 of 56

Quote:
pcf I want to know what "candidates" I am missing? To be blunt, you make complete utter non-sense.

I've listed the entire Grado line that is available to consumers via general market excluding 2 high end products to clean the votes up.

So whats the deal?

You want to know what "candidates" you are missing?

Present:

GS1000
PS1000
HF-2
IGrado
GR8
IGI
Symphones Magnum (Since you listed Alessandro as well)

Past:

HP-1
HP-2
HP-3
PS-1
HF-1
SR100
SR200
SR300
SR40

Different versions of RS1; SR325; SR100, SR200....

There is also an upgraded version of HP1000 available.

Sep 24, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #23 of 56
In current production...RS1i. Classic representation of the "Grado sound".
L3000.gif

Sep 24, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #25 of 56
Missing from the list.... Grados modded by Bilavideo!
gs1000.gif

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #28 of 56
Quote:
Maybe I should have said, "Best "Available" Grado Headphone". And I'm sorry for not putting up the gs1000 or ps1000, its the idea that those are the obvious best so why list them?

I like the concept, although I suppose the results are going to be less than reliable since most haven't heard all the headphones on the poll, among other reasons. Having owned all the Grado models listed other than the SR80i (and none of the Alessandro), I voted for the SR325i, although I presume you meant to list the current model, the SR325is. I did not like the SR325i the one time I heard it at a meet. Of course that might have been attributable to the associated equipment.

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #29 of 56
I would vote for the GR8 not on the list because of it's relatively flat FR graph, and because it uses a moving armature... The other Grado 'phones I have listened to at CanJam are quite piercing treble wise. Their over efficient reproduction of the higher frequencies masked any bass or warmth they might have had. I think the GR8 holds the most potential for me, as the others I tried (RS-1 and MS-1) where to bright for my tastes.

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #30 of 56

In current production...RS1i. Classic representation of the "Grado sound".
L3000.gif

I haven't heard the RS1i, though I used to own the RS1.  I've noticed, however, that the "i" versions of 2009 have a "house sound" that is more like the HF2 and PS1000.  It's punchier, at least on the SR60i, the SR80i, the SR225i and the SR325is.  If that's also the case with the RS1i (and why wouldn't it be?) then that has got to be a headphone worth hearing.

Missing from the list.... Grados modded by Bilavideo!
gs1000.gif

You flatter me, sir.  Thank you.  When I read through his list, I wanted to say something like, "My favorite Grados are the ones I've modded," but I didn't want to sound cocky.  It put some wind in my sails when I read your comment.  Thanks for that.  Truth be told, I like the modded Grados, which allowed me to adapt the cans to fit my personal needs and values.  When fully modded, there isn't a Grado I don't like.  The cool thing is to realize we have the power, at our own disposal, to take ownership of our equipment - and to make it serve us better.

And larry at headphile

Aren't those mods gorgeous?  Larry has been a tremendous inspiration.  He's one of several out there who have shown us what a Grado can be, if you care enough to push the envelope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back