Best glue for earpad repair
Dec 13, 2016 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

oryan_dunn

100+ Head-Fier
I've got a pair of Philips Fidelio M1 headphones, and the (argh... non-replacable) earpads have split.  Searching online, this seems to be a somewhat common problem with this model.  They've not split too far, and I've not used them since I noticed the split.

What I'm looking for is suggestions for a glue that would be good for this applications.  Specifically, something that will take a short while to set (so I can wipe up excess), dry strong, but yet still be flexible.

Luckily, though it's somewhat hard to tell from the picture, the edges are folded over, so there is about a 1-2mm flat surface that will be glued together.  I suspect this was where it was originally glued or fused together.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dec 15, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 6
I have had some discussion on a similar topic and have been told that Shoe Goo, which is designed for shoe repair, might do the job.  It also offers a black color. It seems somewhat like silastic but stronger. 

https://www.amazon.com/Shoe-GOO-110212-Adhesive-Black/dp/B004PBOJE8/ref=pd_bxgy_309_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DKJQJAJH6ZG0AFFW0S3D

Dec 2, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #5 of 6
Ok, so it's been a while, but I just had to do another repair to a pair of Fidelio headphones, for the same pad splitting.

First, to give an update on those M1, I had tried shoe goo, but as I recall it was really stringy, and just didn't work. It's a slow setting glue, and the foam pads just kept pulling apart. That combined with not being super careful, I ended up just getting replacement knock-off pads from AliExpress. They didn't have the orange fabric, but they're a pretty decent replacement.

Not too long after, the pads on my Fidelio L1 split, and I tried shoe goo again, being more careful, and again, it was just not setting fast enough, and I couldn't figure out a way to "clamp" it together precisely with anything other than my fingers. So, for that, I switched to super glue. While it "worked" in that it was held back together, due to needing to hold it with my fingers, I couldn't get it to line up and stay properly. In the end, the pads were glued, but the super glue was hard and scratchy and looked terrible. Again, I had to get new knock-off pads on AliExpress; for these, while they fit, they were a bit different to the original. Quality wasn't as supple, sound was about the same. Those were acceptable for a pair I didn't use that often.

This brings me to recently, I have a pair of L2 that also split. This time, I had learned of E6000 glue. It's similar to shoe goo, but seemed to set a bit faster. It's still rubbery, stringy, but being careful applying with a toothpick, and doing a small section at a time, I was able to hold it while watching YouTube. After about 10min holding a section, I'd move to the next. Ultimately, I was able to get the L2 pads glued, and they seem to be holding a few days later. This glue isn't hard and scratch like the super glue was. The only thing I'd do different, the E6000 I got was "clear", and it is coming out of the tube, but when it dries, it was kinda a cloudy clear/white. I found out they make E6000 in black, and if I ever need to do a similar repair, I'd get black, it'd look much better. I'll post a picture of my L2 a bit later.

Dec 2, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #6 of 6
I just use Loctite Gel since it's thick to apply in tiny areas, a drop will hold together on a head of a large pin for tight spots. It sets in a minute, but needs an hour to really grip. They say 24 hour cure time, but after a couple of minutes that holds great. Just clean the area well with alcohol wipes. For tape I use Scotch double sided tape, it's so sticky it'll drive you crazy getting it off if you place it wrong :) A good option sometimes if your working on something and don't want it permanent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back