Best gear for listening to classical music...
Nov 21, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #286 of 319
Can't remember who it was @Claritas and somebody else

I gave in and bought the HD600, it's tonally very well balanced thanks!

Glad you enjoy it.

Re: HD600 vs HD650 cont'd. HD650 does have a slightly more filled in soundstage, which might matter if you listen primarily to large-scale orchestral music. (I suspect that the soundstage difference is a by-product of the different bass response.) HD600 is a little more neutral in the upper mids, which matters a good deal to me because I listen to solo piano more.

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #287 of 319
I guess this composer endorses a slightly older set of cans:

Nov 29, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #289 of 319

Uchi do you think you will be keeping both the 650 and 600?

I think I am definitely keeping the 600, 650 is a goodbye for me.

I found the HD650 with some proper eq my go-to for a long time but the HD600 negates the need i felt with EQ :) Although I will probably still keep the hd650 for listening to songs that sound too bright (mostly for mainstream popular stuff though)

Nov 29, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #290 of 319

I think I am definitely keeping the 600, 650 is a goodbye for me.

I found the HD650 with some proper eq my go-to for a long time but the HD600 negates the need i felt with EQ :) Although I will probably still keep the hd650 for listening to songs that sound too bright (mostly for mainstream popular stuff though)

Interesting. Thanks for your thoughts.

Nov 29, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #291 of 319

Interesting. Thanks for your thoughts.

But the difference really isn't much imo, just slightly more treble presence on the hd600 over the 650, i found the 650 tonally accurate for most of it, just except for the treble, which I found slightly too recessed for my tastes.

Nov 29, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #292 of 319

But the difference really isn't much imo, just slightly more treble presence on the hd600 over the 650, i found the 650 tonally accurate for most of it, just except for the treble, which I found slightly too recessed for my tastes.

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif
. Good to know. I do always find comparisons between the two models interesting to read.

Most of my classical listening currently are string quartets, and I've become very fond of the HD650 presentation as a contrast to my other cans. No doubt the HD 600 will be marvellous too. One to try out at some point in the future.

First priority is getting through some of my music wishlist
biggrin.gif

Second priority is actually to learn more about EQ. I've been subbed to this thread in view of going through from the start, but just haven't had the time. Perhaps I should make it a NY resolution ...

Nov 29, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #293 of 319
Cheers :) . Good to know. I do always find comparisons between the two models interesting to read.

Most of my classical listening currently are string quartets, and I've become very fond of the HD650 presentation as a contrast to my other cans. No doubt the HD 600 will be marvellous too. One to try out at some point in the future.

First priority is getting through some of my music wishlist :D
Second priority is actually to learn more about EQ. I've been subbed to this thread in view of going through from the start, but just haven't had the time. Perhaps I should make it a NY resolution ...

I think the difference really isn't very big, few dbs at max there and there. Most of the night and day differences are imaginary imo as are most things on head fi :wink:

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #294 of 319
I have a friend who plays in a symphony orchestra and is looking for some advice on headphones. So how would you rank HD800, HD600 and HE560 for classical music? I understand the HD600 gives the most bang for the buck (like the recent $250 deal!), but how much improvement will the other two bring? 

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #295 of 319
  I have a friend who plays in a symphony orchestra and is looking for some advice on headphones. So how would you rank HD800, HD600 and HE560 for classical music? I understand the HD600 gives the most bang for the buck (like the recent $250 deal!), but how much improvement will the other two bring? 

If your friend is a classically trained musician, by and large, they tend to prefer tonally accurate headphones. So he would enjoy the HD600 over the HD800. The latter has an initial 'wow' factor, but you need copious amounts of EQ to tame the treble.

I don't know anything about the HE560 though, however I am not a fan of the hifiman brand due to their quality issues on their other line ups. 

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #296 of 319
  If your friend is a classically trained musician, by and large, they tend to prefer tonally accurate headphones. So he would enjoy the HD600 over the HD800. The latter has an initial 'wow' factor, but you need copious amounts of EQ to tame the treble.

I don't know anything about the HE560 though, however I am not a fan of the hifiman brand due to their quality issues on their other line ups. 

It doesn't take copious amounts of EQ…

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #298 of 319

Thank you for the comment. Yes, he prefers the sound from headphones to be as close to the instruments as possible. 

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #299 of 319
I have a friend who plays in a symphony orchestra and is looking for some advice on headphones. So how would you rank HD800, HD600 and HE560 for classical music?

HD600 is the safest choice of those three. Its chief weaknesses are lack of bass extension and some gaps in the soundstage (less evident on HD650 than HD600).

HD800 has much better detail extraction, imaging, and bass extension. But it requires some combination of careful gear choices, EQ, and mods to help with the treble.

HE560 has impressive bass but it sounds aggressive on both ends, which your friend might or might not enjoy--or might enjoy for short periods but not for long periods.

Both HD800 and HE560 have tempted me repeatedly. But every time I listen, I come away sensing that I simply won't end up using them. Unless your friend can audition them on a set up similar to his for several hours, I'd recommend the safest choice: HD600.

Besides that, look into Audio Zenith PMx2 as well. I haven't been able to try it yet, but I've heard some pretty good things about it from friends and it measures pretty well. A less sensible idea, but still worth airing, is a used HE500. Some of the pros vs HD6x0 are bass extension, blacker background, and a more filled in soundstage. The cons are extremely poor weight distribution and a shallower soundstage.

Best luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back