Best Gaming Music and/or sound effects
Oct 18, 2002 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

wallijonn

Throwin' tantra.
i'd like this to be a parallel thread to HD5000's "best game ever" thread, although centered around the best game music and sound effects instead of playability.

if you were to suggest a game for someone to buy based on music, what would it be? on sound effects, what would it be?

anyone who has ever played FF7 will likely love the music in that game.

i found Wipeout 2 and Wipeout 4 had some very good tracks; others may prefer Forsaken on the N64 or Descent on the PC. i even looked for a Wipeout: Fusion soundtrack and couldn't find it.

my nominations:

PS1: Disruptor. The only game where the faster you go, the faster the music. if you slow down, the music slows down. the 'snicks' of changing weapons is awesome as is the 'twang bellows' sound which gives your speakers a nice workout. once i started playing it with headphones i became a wuss. yeah i admit it.

anyone play PS1's "Silent Hill" with headphones? or Aliens vs. Predator 1 or 2 with cans?

for the N64, I nominate 007: Goldeneye. the reason all other James Bonds games have failed is because of the music. IMHO.

and of course N64's "Turok" has awesome sound effects. I just can't stand Turok 2, 3, et. al.'s wimpy "I am Turok" and find them unplayable because of it.

and the opposite: Mortyr (PC) supposedly has absolutely no music. And I find myself turning off the music in the PS's Air Combat series.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and on a similar train of thought, has anyone else ever redubbed a movie with your own selection of music? (GE 1101P or Apex 500?)

i once laid a hip-hop/dance track to the silent film "Wings". i can very easily see a trance/eurodance soundtrack to "Wings". Has anyone ever dubbed Ray Milland's totally silent film to music?

Oct 18, 2002 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 16
Hmm, I really have to say No One lives forever, for the PC, had the best sound effects. Not in the traditional sense, though. It just had incredible, HILARIOUS, and poignat voiceing and lines.

Oct 18, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 16
Great thread! I was just jamming to some FF V tunes, so here it goes:

Final fantasy VII definitely has some of the best tunes (especially being that they are midi's!). However, i feel that Castlevania: Symphony of the night (for ps one) has the best music EVER in a videogame. You must hear it to understand why.

Some others to consider:

Resident Evil II (ps one) and Code Veronica (DC)
Final Fantasy VI (III in the US)
Castlevania IV (snes)
Chronotrigger (snes)
Shadowrun (snes)-cool funky tunes
Y's III (pc engine cd)-this has some excellent music, just ask kelly, i uploaded the entire sdtk to him.
Streets of rage 2 (genesis)
Phantasy Star II (genesis)
LandStalker (genesis)-one of the best 3/4 action-adventure games ever, doesn't hurt that it has great tunes to go with the action.
Sonic 1 and 2 (genesis)

I'm sure i'm missing tons of other favorites at the moment, i got this list mostly from my collection.

For sound effects:

Resident evil franchise

There's quite a market out there for Videogame soundtracks, check out www.gamemusic.com or www.soundtrackcentral.com (click on the marketplace link) for people selling off game sdtk's.

Oct 18, 2002 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 16
1. Final Fantasy IV (II in US): I'm probably in the minority, but I consider this easily to be the best FF soundtrack. I can instantly conjure up any of the tunes in my head. Only avoid if you can't get past synthesized sound.
2. American McGee's Alice: Great ambient music, it does such a brilliant job of setting a disturbing, creepy, and fantastical mood w/o overdoing it. Throw in the occasional sound effect, like creaking floorboards and moaning souls, and you have a masterpiece!
3. Castlevania : Symphony of the Night
4. Final Fantasy VI (III in US)
5. Final Fantasy VII

Oct 18, 2002 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 16
The original Sonic the Hedgehog had one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard.

Wipeout XL... oh yeah. Future Sound of London, Photek, Fluke, Prodigy... awesome.

STAR CONTROL II again! The first game to use sampled MOD music when everyone else was totally MIDI. Great music, too!

SSX Tricky for the Xbox has very good music. So does GTA3 and Project Gotham Racing.

I liked the Half-Life soundtrack even if it was mostly moody theatrical stuff.

Another mention for Wanderers From Ys Book I and II for the Turbografx-16 CD!

Oct 18, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
1. Final Fantasy IV (II in US): I'm probably in the minority, but I consider this easily to be the best FF soundtrack. I can instantly conjure up any of the tunes in my head. Only avoid if you can't get past synthesized sound.

Definitely agree with you, this is the first 16 bit RPG i played and was blown away by the tunes...of course i have the soundtrack
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2002 at 10:44 AM Post #11 of 16
I really liked the soundtracks for all the Monkey Island games on the PC, especially the second one. Come to think of it, most Lucasarts games had cracking soundtracks. Another great one is Silver - why oh why did they not release that one on CD?
Andrew

Oct 18, 2002 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 16
Definately DeusX. I think that game was the best game I ever played... Including sounds.

As for soundTRACK.

simcity. Definately the best soundtracks.

Oct 19, 2002 at 6:02 AM Post #14 of 16
Doom ...3? (the stuff that Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor did)

Oct 24, 2002 at 10:41 AM Post #15 of 16
Best sound effects:

System Shock 2 (the most effective use of sound yet - simply chilling)
Alien vs Predator - Atari Jaguar (prior to SS2 and the Thief series this was the one - play in darkness with Dolby Prologic for best affect)
Alien vs Predator - PC (different game, different timeline, same developer)
Thief
Thief II
Undying
Nocturne
Resident Evil
Doom
Unreal
Deus Ex
Counterstrike beta 1-5 (before they replaced the samples with
low quality 22khz)
Half Life *
Heretic II *
Soldier of Fortune *
Diablo
Starcraft
Hitman Codename 47
Quake

*** Denotes those that belong when played with Aureal AU8830 hardware capable of A3D 2.0/3.0 with wavetracing.

Music:

Motorhead
Darkstone
Deus Ex
Doom (good midi card a must)
Duke Nukem 3D (see above)
Crusader: No Remorse (ditto)
Wolfenstein 3D
Duke Nukem 3D - Saturn (remastered in redbook - yes)!
Blood
Resident Evil
Unreal (superb, perfect match for the majestic scenery)
Unreal Tournament (brilliant, best soundtrack to frag by)
Quake (Trent Reznor's ambient masterpiece will make your skin crawl)
Quake II (White Zombie, 'nuff said)
Hitman Codename 47
X-Com (the original and best)
Rainbow Six (high production value - could cover for any big budget flick, sound quality is to be commended)
Red Faction
Half Life
Starcraft
Warcraft II
Diablo
Diablo II (Blizzard is the master of the instrumental)
Command & Conquer (perfect combination of classical and industrial)
Red Alert
Heavy Gear (riveting)
Jedi Knight
Legend of Zelda
Mega Man X
Street Fighter 2
Super Metroid
Virtua Fighter 2 - Saturn
Tempest 2000 - Jaguar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back