Best Gaming Headphones.... With Poll? BUDGET: £100-£250
Sep 25, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #78 of 319
If you're taking budget into consideration, no doubt the prime picks are the AD700 and the XB700.

Sep 25, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #79 of 319

Quote:
I agree on the last sentence it is splitting hairs to some extent, but it stands to reason that the PS3 exclusives would be lossless due to the size of the discs - most exclusive are at least 15gb in size as opposed to the 8.5gb elsewhere....some are a whopping 50gb! So yes the exclusives do have lossless in part because of space afforded and also by the blu ray disc standard - again not sure of the multiplatform games which are DVD size because they are also found on Xbox 360 which uses dual layer dvd and not blu ray - so it wouldn't surprise me if the multiplatform games aren't lossless - but then again they do tailor games at least a little these days for the host system so on the other hand it also wouldn't surprise me if all games on the PS3 were encoded lossless upon porting to that platform and disc. But in truth, you probably will not hear the difference anyway unless you have a good setup rig and you play an audio rich game....it's a bit like the graphics/hdtv situation - a game can have the best graphics in the world, but if you're playing it on a crappy tv it doesn't matter how good the graphics are because you won't be able to appreciate them as much without a good, clear high definition television. The same also applies to music/sound reproduction when it comes to speakers of any kind - that's why we're all here lol we all know that the speakers on tv's are awful but that's what most people are happy to game with.

Let me put it this way. If you can't tell that a multiplat is lossless or not, then you wont' be able to appreciate if a PS3 exclusive is actually lossless. Might as well me lossy and you wouldn't be able to tell the diff. 

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #82 of 319
How about the Stax SR-404? Since funds are limited...
Imo it does an excellent job for gaming, although not quite up with its bigger and more expensive relatives

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #84 of 319

Last yr I read about a members experience playing COD 2 at a headfi meet, & he was blown away by the 3D type presentation. Think he used the 404. It was more like a biaural experience I believe he expressed.. Personally, I'm too invested in dynamics to go STAX, & really want the 4070 if I went that route.. I prefer professional gear, as I see them as being a better bang for the buck then regular 'audiophile' headphones.. Just another reason why I hold the DT48 in such high regards.. But for competive gaming, the STAX would be more apropriate.
Quote:
How about the Stax SR-404? Since funds are limited...
Imo it does an excellent job for gaming, although not quite up with its bigger and more expensive relatives

Sep 25, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #86 of 319
the OP gets tons of help from people yet refuses to take 5 seconds out of his life to change the title to include the budget, which not only would help him, but it would help others giving him advice. i had it happen to me (and i barely got 1/10 of the replies you got), and i made sure to change the title to include my budget, that way people didn't have to guess when they helped me.

Sep 25, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #87 of 319

Quote:
Let me put it this way. If you can't tell that a multiplat is lossless or not, then you wont' be able to appreciate if a PS3 exclusive is actually lossless. Might as well me lossy and you wouldn't be able to tell the diff. 

True, but in my case I haven't owned an Xbox 360 for a long time nor are the PS3 exclusives available anywhere else....so the point is it's not like I can take the same sound and A/B it with something else. Though when I had a 360 I didn't have the audio rig that I have now, which to be fair still isn't saying much, but it's way better than the TV speakers I was listening to.

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #88 of 319
Rig is in Sig.  I haven't been playing much PS3 of late and never set it up for audiophile.  One of the reasons for expressed interest is that I am searching for a DAC that will work well with the PS3 and has Dolby Headphone.

Quote:
Hmm, you guys are running this off a PS3/360 or a PC?  Can you attach a DAC to the PS3? Personally I use a high quality soundcard with optical out so it sounds good to me. But yeah it's likely one of those personal preference things, maybe even placebo.

Sep 25, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #90 of 319
I believe you linked something to me about some turtle beach DAC that implemented virtual 3d.  Plus there have been good things said about the astro mixamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back