Best Gaming Headphones.... With Poll? BUDGET: £100-£250
Sep 24, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #46 of 319

1. When it comes to gaming headphones, there's basically two schools of though: bass or no bass. Those who prefer no bass for their gaming cans prioritize imaging and spatial capability and claim that excess bass makes it harder to pinpoint sounds like footsteps. I never had this problem to be honest, I guess I'm too much of abasshead, my brain is used to picking out sounds through a thick blanket of bass.
  2. Give me bass anyday. I need it for those wonderful explosions and chest-rattling impacts. Thin headphones like the AD700 cannot give this kind of visceral impact. 
People will generally say that bassy cans are better for singleplayer games, non-FPS games or non-competitive FPS play, while for those FPS sharks that need every advantage they can get (at the expense of the actual atmosphere of the game) when fragging non-bassy is better.

Thus, my favorite cans for gaming are:
K701 - for no bass
XB700 - for bass

Also, I generally believe that closed cans are better for gaming except as the need arises. Closed cans isolate you from noisy environments (like LAN parties) and I find they generally have an advantage in 3D imaging compared to open cans when it comes to gaming. Just my observations, though the K701 seems to be an exception.

But I will discuss the following on your poll that I've heard briefly:

Beyerdynamic DT990 - yeah wanna hear this for gaming
Beyerdynamic DT880 - wouldlike to hear this, probalby a more K701-like DT770
Beyerdynamic DT770 - the Pro version is very bassy and I hear is really good for gaming. I have the premium version which is not as bassy but is an excellent gaming can due to its excellent pinpointing capabilities and wide soundstage. And it's closed, making it easy to use in noisy LAN environments.
Sennheiser HD650 - I thought it would be great due to nice bass but imaging was pretty bad on these
Sennheiser HD595 - another can that images not so well, but actually better than HD650, but overall sound was not to my liking for gaming, not enough body
Sennheiser HD555 - same as HD595
Ultrasone 2500 Pro - not heard
Ultrasone HFI-750 - not heard for gaming but I would venture to guess it would sound too unnatural and trebly and metallic.
Audio Technica ATH-AD900 - not heard, only A900 (which was not good)
Audio-Technica ATH-A500 - not heard
Audio Technica Headphones ATH-AD700 - nice soundstage and precision imaging but inferior to the K701 in all aspects
Audio Technica ATH-M50 - too small soundstage for realistic gaming, great tone and bass for that feel. But too claustrophobic with its teensy soundstage.

K701 I found is the best open can for gaming. Little bass, great imaging and precision, huge soundstage. Very useful for playing co-op like Left 4 Dead in LAN environments where you want to be able to shout at your teammate for help and hear their calls for aid in return.

XB700 is my favored gaming headphone. Comfy, closed, isolating, bassy, huge soundstage, unexpectedly good imaging. Not as resolving as a K701 or even just an AD700 but for gaming you don't need resolution, you just need to be able to hear and pinpoint the sounds, people seem to have this weird notion that the XB700 has no mids and treble, nothing could be further from the truth. Wiht its clear imaging and its very beautiful, luscious bass, I find it's nigh perfect. I find it's basically what the HD650 would be if it were designed for gaming. 

You'll also note that I generally find Sennheisers to be bad for gaming, while Beyers seem to be great for gaming. Audio Technica is mediocre with the exception of the AD700 which is the only good gaming can I've heard from the AT stable (have not heard the most high end cans). Sony is also the darkhorse for gaming, I swear the XB700 is awesome and it seems the F1 is also a great option (have not heard). I imagine their other monitors might also be great.

AKG is another brand that seems to do well with gaming. 

And finally I would like to check out the Beyer DT150 or the DT48 for gaming. I have heard a DT150 but not tried it for gaming. I suspect it is even better than the DT770 for gaming.
Beyerdynamic DT990
Beyerdynamic DT880
Beyerdynamic DT770
Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD595
Sennheiser HD555
Ultrasone 2500 Pro
Ultrasone HFI-750
Audio Technica ATH-AD900
Audio-Technica ATH-A500
Audio Technica Headphones ATH-AD700
Audio Technica ATH-M50

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #47 of 319

Quote:

XB700 is my favored gaming headphone. Comfy, closed, isolating, bassy, huge soundstage, unexpectedly good imaging. Not as resolving as a K701 or even just an AD700 but for gaming you don't need resolution, you just need to be able to hear and pinpoint the sounds, people seem to have this weird notion that the XB700 has no mids and treble, nothing could be further from the truth. Wiht its clear imaging and its very beautiful, luscious bass, I find it's nigh perfect. I find it's basically what the HD650 would be if it were designed for gaming. 

You'll also note that I generally find Sennheisers to be bad for gaming, while Beyers seem to be great for gaming. Audio Technica is mediocre with the exception of the AD700 which is the only good gaming can I've heard from the AT stable (have not heard the most high end cans). Sony is also the darkhorse for gaming, I swear the XB700 is awesome and it seems the F1 is also a great option (have not heard). I imagine their other monitors might also be great.
Beyerdynamic DT990
Beyerdynamic DT880
Beyerdynamic DT770
Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD595
Sennheiser HD555
Ultrasone 2500 Pro
Ultrasone HFI-750
Audio Technica ATH-AD900
Audio-Technica ATH-A500
Audio Technica ATH-M50

This is my setup LD DAC1 > LD MKIII > HD650.

Are you sure the XB700 is an improvement over the HD650? The XB700 is just 60 euros where I am from... So if it's true what you say they are, then it would be a terrific bargain for the characteristics that I want, wider soundstage with good imaging. I too was rather dissapointed with the imaging of the HD650, my crappy logitech headset (20 euros) could pin point the sound more accurate (in fps like left4dead). I thought I was just imagining things, I mean how can a lowcost headset ever beat a "highend" headphone in any way at all.

The way you describe it, it seems like the XB700 is the ultimate headphone for gaming (in the 50-400 pricerange). Would you suggest me getting the XB700 with my current setup, and if so, where does the XB700 fall short whereas the HD650 excels (in first/third person games)?

Hope to hear from you soon.
This is my setup LD DAC1 > LD MKIII > HD650.

Are you sure the XB700 is an improvement over the HD650? The XB700 is just 60 euros where I am from... So if it's true what you say they are, then it would be a terrific bargain for the characteristics that I want, wider soundstage, 

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #48 of 319
I'm suprised that Mochan finds XB700 THAT good for gaming in particular because I have both XB500 and XB700 and found XB500 to be better for gaming and didn't think XB700 was any special in that regard, I think the directions the sounds come from is more clear on XB500 and the more aggressive sound signature suits better for gaming IMO, it's more engaging or something, XB700 is more laid-back. If you like HD650 though then you might also like XB700 because they have similar type of sound signature, XB500 sounds more like an Ultrasone or Grado in my experience with bigger and punchier bass and aggressive sound presentation and with the huge exception of very smooth sounding highs.

EDIT: just made a comparision and to me it's difficult to pinpoint the sound directions in Unreal Tournament 3 (I've played this game over 3500hrs in total) with XB700, with XB500 it's definitely easier. I also thought Sennheiser HD 212 Pro while having absolutely crappy sound quality (reminds me of realtek onboard sound) is doing well in terms of 3D sound positioning, better than XB700 as well. (HD212 Pros were on a recommended "gaming headphones" list in a forum somewhere which is part of why I got them and yes the sound positioning is suprisingly good but I gladly sacrifice some 3D positional sound for a lot better sound quality)

Mochan> can't you get the XB500 just to see if I'm talking crap or if it really is that big difference depending what equipment you use, for you $50 should be pocket money and definitely worth the "different" experience you'd get with XB500.
tongue.gif

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #49 of 319
LOL I am sure it's not a matter of trash talk. I will see if I can source an XB500 one of these days. Let's hope I can do so, and do the comparison. I think I am just one of those people that like cans that can provide a laidback soundstage for games. It gives me a better sense of depth perception. For instance, most people say the K701 is rubbish for games compared to the AD700.

I, on the other hand, find that the larger, more laidback soundstage of the k701 lets me distinguish depth between sounds better, thus resulting in better positioning in my head. I think its one of those cases where "YMMV."

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #50 of 319
Quote:
Mochan said:

I, on the other hand, find that the larger, more laidback soundstage of the k701 lets me distinguish depth between sounds better, thus resulting in better positioning in my head. I think its one of those cases where "YMMV."

I agree. They really make gaming easy. I've been called a hacker I don't know how many times since I got these (They do better than my DT990/250 in this regard as well). These in MW2 combined with Sit Rep Pro are very scary and quite frankly should be illegal. 
biggrin.gif
 Imaging is top notch as I'm able to shoot people through walls if I want though I generally refrain from doing so for obvious reasons. The large soundstage at least to me is a bonus here albeit very unnatural. I can hear someone coming towards my position a few seconds before they reach me which gives me plenty of time to adjust accordingly. I still have to give the AD700s a go though.

Sep 24, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #51 of 319
The DT48 is unique for gaming....Better gaming cans can be had.

Quote:

1. When it comes to gaming headphones, there's basically two schools of though: bass or no bass. Those who prefer no bass for their gaming cans prioritize imaging and spatial capability and claim that excess bass makes it harder to pinpoint sounds like footsteps. I never had this problem to be honest, I guess I'm too much of abasshead, my brain is used to picking out sounds through a thick blanket of bass.
  2. Give me bass anyday. I need it for those wonderful explosions and chest-rattling impacts. Thin headphones like the AD700 cannot give this kind of visceral impact. 
People will generally say that bassy cans are better for singleplayer games, non-FPS games or non-competitive FPS play, while for those FPS sharks that need every advantage they can get (at the expense of the actual atmosphere of the game) when fragging non-bassy is better.

Thus, my favorite cans for gaming are:
K701 - for no bass
XB700 - for bass

Also, I generally believe that closed cans are better for gaming except as the need arises. Closed cans isolate you from noisy environments (like LAN parties) and I find they generally have an advantage in 3D imaging compared to open cans when it comes to gaming. Just my observations, though the K701 seems to be an exception.

But I will discuss the following on your poll that I've heard briefly:

Beyerdynamic DT990 - yeah wanna hear this for gaming
Beyerdynamic DT880 - wouldlike to hear this, probalby a more K701-like DT770
Beyerdynamic DT770 - the Pro version is very bassy and I hear is really good for gaming. I have the premium version which is not as bassy but is an excellent gaming can due to its excellent pinpointing capabilities and wide soundstage. And it's closed, making it easy to use in noisy LAN environments.
Sennheiser HD650 - I thought it would be great due to nice bass but imaging was pretty bad on these
Sennheiser HD595 - another can that images not so well, but actually better than HD650, but overall sound was not to my liking for gaming, not enough body
Sennheiser HD555 - same as HD595
Ultrasone 2500 Pro - not heard
Ultrasone HFI-750 - not heard for gaming but I would venture to guess it would sound too unnatural and trebly and metallic.
Audio Technica ATH-AD900 - not heard, only A900 (which was not good)
Audio-Technica ATH-A500 - not heard
Audio Technica Headphones ATH-AD700 - nice soundstage and precision imaging but inferior to the K701 in all aspects
Audio Technica ATH-M50 - too small soundstage for realistic gaming, great tone and bass for that feel. But too claustrophobic with its teensy soundstage.

K701 I found is the best open can for gaming. Little bass, great imaging and precision, huge soundstage. Very useful for playing co-op like Left 4 Dead in LAN environments where you want to be able to shout at your teammate for help and hear their calls for aid in return.

AKG is another brand that seems to do well with gaming. 

And finally I would like to check out the Beyer DT150 or the DT48 for gaming. I have heard a DT150 but not tried it for gaming. I suspect it is even better than the DT770 for gaming.
Beyerdynamic DT990
Beyerdynamic DT880
Beyerdynamic DT770
Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD595
Sennheiser HD555
Ultrasone 2500 Pro
Ultrasone HFI-750
Audio Technica ATH-AD900
Audio-Technica ATH-A500
Audio Technica ATH-M50

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #55 of 319

AFAIK the PS3 uses lossless audio on it's games due to the blu ray format and the sheer size of the disc itself affords them the luxury of non compressed audio. Not entirely sure if this extends to the multiplatform titles and I'm pretty sure the Xbox 360 does compress their audio because of space limitations. But PS3 exclusives at least are lossless by nature I'm sure of it. Not that helps any for multiplayer FPS maniacs unless one is a MAG fanatic lol. 

Also I can confirm for sure that both Uncharted and Metal Gear Solid 4 sound awesome (they also look and play awesome too)
wink.gif

Quote:
I doubt games will use lossless in the near future.

Sep 24, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #56 of 319
Way too limited choice!
Example no Stax 4070 in the list - my clear favorite headphone for gaming so far..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back