Best gaming headphones? (must be both Xbox and PC compatible)
Oct 4, 2011 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

crazyfrenchman27

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi folks,

I've been searching the forums for the best gaming headphones which are both Xbox and PC compatible.  It's not quite clear what the answer would be, at least judging from previous posts.

Please factor in the quality of the mic as well with associated peripherals.

Thanks,

Matt

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 11
Yeah Malveaux, I was taking a good look at the Astro mixamp/A40 and thought it was one of the few hardware devices that would fit my needs.  Are other mic/headsets compatible with the amp on PC/Xbox or must you use the A30/A40?

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 11
If money is no object and you want the best, I'd just bring up Stax, but that's arguably overkill for gaming, even the vintage $250-300 Lambda setups.

With so many people decrying the AD700 these days (they can't stand its bass deficiency and use EQ to get a similar sound signature for competitive gaming), I'm not even sure what to suggest when increasingly popular headphones such as the SR850 and aforementioned FA-011 are ones I still have yet to try.

I don't know if the Mixamp acts as a PC DAC/DSP through USB, but if your motherboard's audio codec supports Dolby Digital Live, you can use that to feed the Mixamp. If not, you could get a Xonar DG on the cheap end, or if you play some older PC games that make use of EAX, go seek out an X-Fi Prelude, Forte, or Titanium HD.

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Yeah Malveaux, I was taking a good look at the Astro mixamp/A40 and thought it was one of the few hardware devices that would fit my needs.  Are other mic/headsets compatible with the amp on PC/Xbox or must you use the A30/A40?

Any headphone will work. This "compatible" crap they market is a gimmick. The only headphone that will ever actually be special to a system is something that plugs into a USB port, which should be avoided. Otherwise, if it terminates to a 3.5mm or 1/4", it will be fine and will work.

Very best,

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 11
I need a microphone.  Stax does not have a microphone.  The audiotechnica line is uncomfortable for me because my head is not huge.

How about the Sennheiser line?  I've listened to a bazillion headphones but I am limited when it comes to mic + headphone combos.

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
I need a microphone.  Stax does not have a microphone.  The audiotechnica line is uncomfortable for me because my head is not huge.

How about the Sennheiser line?  I've listened to a bazillion headphones but I am limited when it comes to mic + headphone combos.

The whole idea is that you use a separate mic, like a clip-on mic or a desk mic, or mod a boom mic onto your headphones of choice.

If you must insist on a headset, you're left with the Sennheiser PC360 and Beyerdynamic MMX300, which are not cheap (around $300 last time I checked) and possibly outdone by other models the same price or less.

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 11
I used the Tritton AX 720 before. For their price (130? Might be cheaper now) they were great for what they did. Simulated 5.1 surround on pc, xbox and ps3, with a mic. Sound quality wasn't too bad either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back