Best gaming headphones for $800 budget?
Nov 19, 2019 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

br3wsk1

New Head-Fier
As the topic says, I'm trying to narrow down my best options for gaming given an $800 budget.

I've got a slightly larger than average head so comfort is a big thing for me. Additionally, I live in an isolated area so I'll be ordering whatever I decide on it the dark.

Given that I have a desktop mic, I honestly could care less for a headset unless the mic itself is removable.

Nov 25, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 14
There are some great great gaming headphones that can be found for well under $300, let alone $800.

if you’re looking for audiophile headphones that also work for gaming that’s one thing, but if they’re primarily gaming headphones I would consider the akg K7xx from massdrop, the Beyerdynamic 990 pro, or one of audeze’s gaming options. Check madlusts gaming headphone thread in this forum sub section.

But honestly, for gaming there is no need to break the bank looking for the ‘best’ as sometimes top of the line sound doesn’t equate to top of the line gaming.

Edit: I forgot to ask if you have a dac and amp, or if youre running off your pc or console, that changes things a bit.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 14
I prefer open-back / semi-open cans, the wide sound stage gives virtual surround in games much more depth and precision IMO and there are very few gaming headsets under $100 that are not closed back - only one that comes close would be HyperX Revolver, which is ported giving it a bit of a wider sound stage similar to the JVC HA-RX700 (which I have and largely prefer, due to to the incredible bass response and flat signature).

I tend to switch between those JVCs and a Samson SR850 since the velour pads give me much more comfort during long sessions, the pleather pads tend to get a bit warm over time. My "good" headphones (Logitech G930) is pretty much tied to my AVR since I find Logitech G930 budget studio cans are well enough in sound quality for gaming and streaming music.

As far as surround sound, some games have it integrated into the game (e.g. "headphone" settings in the audio options), windows 10 has "sonic" spatial sound you can enable, some integrated realtek have it in the audio output options, 3rd party software solutions like Razer surround as previously mentioned and better sound cards (also previously mentioned) like the Sound Blaster Play!3 also support vsurround (which I am currently using, SBX is my favorite so far since it sounds good for games and movies and can adust the level of surround to your preference).

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 14
I prefer open-back / semi-open cans, the wide sound stage gives virtual surround in games much more depth and precision IMO and there are very few gaming headsets under $100 that are not closed back - only one that comes close would be HyperX Revolver, which is ported giving it a bit of a wider sound stage similar to the JVC HA-RX700 (which I have and largely prefer, due to to the incredible bass response and flat signature).

I tend to switch between those JVCs and a Samson SR850 since the velour pads give me much more comfort during long sessions, the pleather pads tend to get a bit warm over time. My "good" headphones (Logitech G930) is pretty much tied to my AVR since I find Logitech G930 budget studio cans are well enough in sound quality for gaming and streaming music.

As far as surround sound, some games have it integrated into the game (e.g. "headphone" settings in the audio options), windows 10 has "sonic" spatial sound you can enable, some integrated realtek have it in the audio output options, 3rd party software solutions like Razer surround as previously mentioned and better sound cards (also previously mentioned) like the Sound Blaster Play!3 also support vsurround (which I am currently using, SBX is my favorite so far since it sounds good for games and movies and can adust the level of surround to your preference).
It is really one of the useful headphones I've ever used, but I switched to Razer black shark V2 pro as somebody recommended it to me and believe me it was the best advice somebody gave me regarding gaming accessories.

Dec 15, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #8 of 14
If you look around hard enough you might be able to find a pair of used Sennheiser Hd 800's for that price.
HD800S is truly the best of the best. My 100% recommendation.

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #11 of 14
I think the Audeze is a good pick, but not the best as the weight is a factor... I prefer lighter for gaming
I have it for 3 days now, so far I find the confort way better than my TH900 mk2, when I keep it for 1 hours gaming session for example. I bet it's not the lighest, but the way it is designed is very good I think (with my limited experience of different headphones, got only 6 different)

Sep 17, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #13 of 14
About 1 year my gaming headphones was DT1990. Great wide 3d soundstage & twice lighter then Audeze LCD-GX.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back