Best game soundtrack?
Mar 24, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #107 of 435
When it comes to rock, I think Japan is much more evolved in the genre as it's much more popular there. I can't really think of authentically good Korean rock groups. There's plenty of rock musicians in Japan that actually play the instruments. Korean artists tend to be more of attention getters, and likes to draw attention, which is probably why they tend to get more attention. I think there's a lot of good talent in Japan, just that they don't market themselves as well.

Is Guilty Gear a game developed in Korea or Japan? Why is the track in Korean?

Guilty Gear is developed in Japan. As for why they would have a Korean soundtrack version, I am not 100% certain. A quick search on google suggested:
1) It could simply be a marketing thing to have a Korea specific version with its own music.
2) Daisuke Ishiwatari, the man behind the character design, story, and music of Guilty Gear, had some friends in Korea in a band and he asked if they wanted to do an OST.

As silly as reason 2 might sound, it is fairly plausible to me. Daisuke loves music, with tons of references in character design, move names, and in game music. There have been live concerts of his music and in some of them he will come out on guitar for a song or two and he looks like he is having the time of his life up there.

It is interesting that Guilty Gear XX #Reload has a Japanese OST and a Korean OST, and it seems a lot of fans favor the Korean OST.

It is also worth noting that Korean in this case just means where it was written and recorded, as none of the songs have lyrics. In later Guilty Gear games, some songs do have lyrics, but most of them are in English (though there are some with Japanese lyric versions).

Mar 24, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #109 of 435
Guilty Gear is developed in Japan. As for why they would have a Korean soundtrack version, I am not 100% certain. A quick search on google suggested:
1) It could simply be a marketing thing to have a Korea specific version with its own music.
2) Daisuke Ishiwatari, the man behind the character design, story, and music of Guilty Gear, had some friends in Korea in a band and he asked if they wanted to do an OST.

As silly as reason 2 might sound, it is fairly plausible to me. Daisuke loves music, with tons of references in character design, move names, and in game music. There have been live concerts of his music and in some of them he will come out on guitar for a song or two and he looks like he is having the time of his life up there.

It is interesting that Guilty Gear XX #Reload has a Japanese OST and a Korean OST, and it seems a lot of fans favor the Korean OST.

It is also worth noting that Korean in this case just means where it was written and recorded, as none of the songs have lyrics. In later Guilty Gear games, some songs do have lyrics, but most of them are in English (though there are some with Japanese lyric versions).
Guilty Gear Strive's soundtrack with English lyrics is vomit enduing. I wish they didn't add the lyrics, or the voice. It's like listening to English versions of Anime openings.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #111 of 435
Although I could list many games and soundtracks here, this is the one that comes to my mind first:

It's from a detective game called Paradise Killer. The game itself is a first person detective / mystery game. If you are into the genre, I'll highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #113 of 435
ffaa.png

There's something about music with stringed instruments in it that can sometimes sound kind of unpleasant when listened to with highly resolving, neutral headphones for me (!!). So I was pretty surprised and impressed at taking to this album, which features a bunch of chamber music arrangements. It's really well produced, with a nice amount of space and separation between instruments. A few tracks feel surprisingly high-energy and are actually more effective than their original, full-blown-orchestral counterparts, IMO. The tracks "Ghastly Medley" and "JENOVA Quickening" are two standouts.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #114 of 435
Not sure about “best” but these are some of my faves:

MYST series
Homeworld
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #115 of 435
Guilty Gear is a pretty soundtrack. I didn't think of MYST as having a soundtrack but it did have quite the ambience.

Two I forgot about:

Resonance of Fate, this game should have a cult following

Somehow I forgot about Wild Arms 3. Good western vibes and every song slams. Pure nostalgia of a simpler time.

Someone should probably mention Touhou but I don't love it.

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #116 of 435
Apr 16, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #117 of 435
For the games I love, I would love to buy all the CDs as the streamable quality is often not the best, unfortunately for many games it is easy difficult to buy the CD (either you need to buy a special edition of the game or order it from Japan and even then it isn't the full soundtrack, or it is now a collectible on eBay and costs $500, etc. etc.).
Man, beating MYST was like a rite of passage for my developing brain when I was young.
I do have amazon music, I am surprised how many soundtracks are on it. Thanks for the link. Achenar's Theme (Mechanical Age) most evokes my memories.

Apr 17, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #120 of 435
Really been loving the Genshin Impact soundtrack, astonishingly good for a "free" game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back