Best full size over ear around $500-600 (prefer used)
Jul 9, 2020 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

silent-circuit

Headphoneus Supremus
Currently have AKG Q701, Philips Fidelio X2HR, and Hifiman / Drop HE-4XX. Powered by the front output of an Emotiva PT-100 for casual stuff (does surprisingly well for most things) and PC -> Topping D50 DAC -> Little Dot MKII (I have like 3 different sets of tubes, bought it second hand, haven't really played with them) for "serious" stuff.

Of my current stuff I generally prefer the Q701, then the HE-4XX, then the X2HR. I've also own a pair of Sennheiser eH-2200 and AudioTechnica ATH-M50. I /think/ I prefer a flat sound signature. I /think/ I prefer open back (but realize I've really only experienced 'good' open back headphones). I did get to try out a friend's HD-6XX with my DAC and amp, and... they sounded a lot like the Q701 to my ears.

My stereo setup is much better than my headphone setup -- Martin Logan reQuest speakers, Nakamichi PA--7AII amp, Emotiva PT-100 pre/DAC. I love my electrostats, but don't think I have the cash / can justify the cost of electrostatic headphones. Unless the Drop / Koss ESP/95X is worth it? Seems like a solid STAX earspeaker setup is $1000+, and that's like, minimums.

Currently planning to buy a set of Dan Clark Audio Aeon Flow closed, just to see what they're like, and will probably sell them on shortly after. If it costs me $50 or whatever, that's fine. Similarly considering picking up an AKG N90Q (also used, obviously) mostly cause they're... so weird. With and without the DAC? Self calibrating? Weird. Will probably sell those on in short order unless someone here raves about them or I'm amazed by them.

Any open back recommendations around the $500-600 price point, used? Preference goes to planar drivers over dynamic, relatively flat sound signature vs. something V shaped or bass heavy. Ideally something I'll fall in love with and never want to replace? (asking a lot, I know) Or should I just get the Koss electrostats from Drop, try those?

I don't have a balanced DAC / amp right now; should I be looking in to that first?

Listening preferences, since I'm sure that'll come up:
Electro-pop / Dubstep with female vocals (Banks, Terror Jr., Kiiara, Zed's Dead, Crystal Castles etc.)
Other weird female vocals? (POLICA, Little Dragon, Purity Ring, Sylvan Esso, MTNS, etc.)
Alt rock (Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Soundgarden, NIN, TV on the Radio, etc.)

Also just general weird crap.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 17
Since you are going for the Aeon Flow Closed why not pick up the Aeon Flow Open? That is my current end-game headphone as it just sounds so fun and exciting with a decent amp and well-recorded music.

Jul 10, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 17
Since you are going for the Aeon Flow Closed why not pick up the Aeon Flow Open? That is my current end-game headphone as it just sounds so fun and exciting with a decent amp and well-recorded music.

Would you say my current DAC and amp are up to it, though?

It seems like practically everyone that gets past a certain point in the hobby ends up running balanced DACs and amps, and everything I own currently is single ended only, so I'm wondering if that should be my next step.

Found what I felt was a good deal in the FS/FT forum here on the Sendy Audio AIVA, so I'm trying those out too. Guess we'll see.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 17
I think a tube amp is not going to be your best option for the planars. Chances are you will pick up on the distortion issues. I highly recommend solid state for planars and having a little extra power from something like the Heresy or AAA 789 is best.

Jul 18, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 17
The Aiva's are a really nice headphone. Since they go on sale often for 450$ i wouldnt buy them used for anything over 400$ And i think your current dac and amp are good. not sure how good Emotiva amp is for headphones. might want to get a Schiit headphone amp. the Asgard is pretty great from what i hear. punches above its price. I have the Koss 95x and its great. better than entry level STAX from what i hear. The 950 lacks power on the amp. The DCA Aeons are great. you got the retunes for 500$ and the Drop open X for 500$ Also the Focal Elex is great used for about 450$

Jul 18, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 17
Ended up passing on the Aeon Flow Closed.

The Sendy AIVA showed up today, as did the Koss ESP-950.

The Jotunheim hasn't showed up yet - USPS appears to have misdirected it. Was in Charleston on the 15th then they sent it to Greensboro NC for no apparent reason, per their tracking info.

The Sendys are a significant step up from the HiFiMan HE-4XX in both build quality, sound, and... Weight. They feel so heavy compared with my other headphones. Need to give them more time. First impressions are positive over all.

The Koss... Oh man, the Koss are strange. Plasticy, 80s trash. So light and creaky I'm afraid they'll break if I look at them funny. The odd collapsible headband that doesn't really make them any smaller. Permanently attached cables on an product originally sold for $1000.

They're also the best sounding headphones I've ever experienced. More resolving and detailed than any others I've used. Not fatiguing, either. This with the sad little plastic box energiser that most seem to agree is garbage. Step one is going to be a linear PSU for it, and at some point, outright replacing it.

Jul 18, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #7 of 17
The Koss... Oh man, the Koss are strange. Plasticy, 80s trash. So light and creaky I'm afraid they'll break if I look at them funny. The odd collapsible headband that doesn't really make them any smaller. Permanently attached cables on an product originally sold for $1000.

They're also the best sounding headphones I've ever experienced. More resolving and detailed than any others I've used. Not fatiguing, either. This with the sad little plastic box energiser that most seem to agree is garbage. Step one is going to be a linear PSU for it, and at some point, outright replacing it.
I have the Koss ESP950 as well and the build quality is just mediocre, especially for the price point it's asking. I suppose the cost of the driver and energizer make up the bulk of that price tag, but still I would have wanted better.

There are those who find the Koss just 'ok' sounding, lacking in treble and bass extension, and some would describe as not having that 'natural' timbre with vocals like with their HD6X0 headphones.

I'm against the mainstream usually and I find the timbre and presentation of the ESP950 as close to real as it gets, similar to my HE-500. The lack of bass extension and subpar bass quality/impact/slam is also a negative (common with estats from what I've gathered). But their midrange and treble renditions are excellent in my books. Head stage is quite good, imaging is great, but I feel could be better, and detail retrieval is also great (although Focal Clear still bests it at that). Dynamics are also average and not even close to the Focal Clear. In terms of how natural the timbre is, I would rank the HD650/HD6XX behind all the ones I've mentioned above.

Many have claimed that the energizer it came with is mediocre. I'm curious about that since I find it working just fine. I suppose I have to spend more to test out those claims of Stax energizers enhancing their sound quality.

Jul 18, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 17
The sound signature you like together with the tube amp and the "fall in love with and don't wanna replace" really sounds like a HD600. I don't know how the Q701 sounds but i love the sound of the K701 and the HD600 is exactly right for me.

However i don't know if it really fit's to your prefered music genres.

Jul 18, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #9 of 17
The sound signature you like together with the tube amp and the "fall in love with and don't wanna replace" really sounds like a HD600. I don't know how the Q701 sounds but i love the sound of the K701 and the HD600 is exactly right for me.

However i don't know if it really fit's to your prefered music genres.

One of my best friends has the HD6XX and honestly I wasn't that impressed with them; I got to use them for a couple days with my gear (D50, Little Dot) and they sounded a /lot/ like the Q701.

Also, the only reason I've got the tube amp is that a couple years ago when it became clear I needed "an amp" I found a good deal on it. I am by no means a "tube guy"; all my non-headphone gear is solid state.

I should have a Jotunheim 3 to compare with soon, but it seems USPS has misdirected it.

Jul 18, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #10 of 17
I'd recommend the, surprise, Quad Era-1. ^^

It's, in every aspect and imo, the better HD650/6xx with this special planar impact.
Vocals sound stellar with and it fits so many genres.

No emphasis on the lows or highs, it is a honest headphone.
To me, it is a must have listen to headphone, especially in its price bracket.

If you're heading for a fairly even sound and looking to closed backs too, the Pioneer Monitor 5 is quite reliable.
A very underrated headphone in the head-fi world, i think.

Looks like i'm a bit biased and yes, i am. :)
Nonetheless, if you get a chance to listen to them, take it. It's worth it.

All the best on your journey and stay well.
Chris

Jul 18, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #11 of 17
HE-500’s I think is still one of the best under $1K headphones around .

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 17
I am also a fan of the koss 950, they improve on the low end extension if you pop on a pair of leather vesper pads (and comfort as well!). I did not however find that upgrading the energizer THAT big of a difference. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably get a different estat instead of pouring money into upgrading the 95x. I think stock with new pads they're pretty great for the price.

I was also going to recommend the quad era 1 (like Chris did above). And if you ever get the chance, try the hd600; I preferred it over the hd6xx and found it a good all rounder.

Jul 18, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #13 of 17
I am also a fan of the koss 950, they improve on the low end extension if you pop on a pair of leather vesper pads (and comfort as well!). I did not however find that upgrading the energizer THAT big of a difference. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably get a different estat instead of pouring money into upgrading the 95x. I think stock with new pads they're pretty great for the price.

I was also going to recommend the quad era 1 (like Chris did above). And if you ever get the chance, try the hd600; I preferred it over the hd6xx and found it a good all rounder.

Jul 18, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #14 of 17
Did you try a SRM1 MK2 with the ESP950’s it is very good.

Jul 18, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #15 of 17
Yea came here to say get your self a Koss 95X, yes the build isn't great but man the headphone is!

An speaking of amps I got a CCS Modded SRM 007tA & Adapter for my 95X... cuz ya know it sounds good already figured might as well go all in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back