Best for me.
Mar 6, 2004 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

shanebryant

New Head-Fier
I can afford to spend roughly $100 on some headphones but there is no place in my area where I can try any on. I've had those heavy Sony 700DJ or whatever and they crush my ears after an hour, I hate them. I need some suggestions for best 'phones in the $100 range, which sound the best and fit around the ears and don't press down on them. I'm a big-headed dude. Thanks guys!

Mar 6, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 24
Welcome to Head-Fi.

What will be powering them? Do you need isolation? Will they be used portably?

Generally for $100, I'd say Sony CD780 (one of the most comfortable phones on the planet) or Alessandro MS1s. Neither is for all uses though.

You may find this old thread interesting.

Mar 6, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 24
Hey thanks for the welcome, and the pointers! For more info, I'm not a big audiophile kind of guy, but I know pretty good sound, or else I wouldn't care enough to post in a forum before buying
smily_headphones1.gif

The phones will need to be multi-purpose, home use, laptop use, ipod use. I've always had closed sets, but I'm contemplating open as well, I don't know...

Mar 6, 2004 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 24
Sennheiser has a new series of phones out. The HD515 might be worth your consideration. I've not heard the phones yet, but Tyll thought it sounded quite good and is comfortable. Its an open circumaural phone.

Mar 6, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 24
Also keep in mind you may be able to split the $100 up. $35 for Koss KSC35s for portable use, $69 for Grados SR60s for home. Push the limit up a little (nobody spends the amount that actually expected to around here
wink.gif
) and that opens the home cans to some of what's been mentioned above.

Mar 6, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 24
No, I want to get one good pair cans, i've got plugs that I don't mind tossing 'round and getting sweaty.

Okay, so let's pair them down to Grado, Sennheiser, or Sony, but I've gotta keep it at $100-$120, I guess...
wink.gif

The one thing that has Senn over Grado is it doesn't look like the Grados cover the ears, it looks like they press down on your ears, and I wear my phones for 4-5 hours at a time at work and that just doesn't feel good.

Mar 6, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #8 of 24
I think you really need to decide if you need closed, or can use open. The general consensus (I think) is that for the same price, open 'phones sound better than closed. Personally I use closed, to block out office noise at work and TV noise at home.

Once you tell us what you need we can make better suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #12 of 24
If you do decide on the V6's, check out the Beyer replacement pads instead of the included pleather. They'll be much more comfortable and cooler (temperature- and looking-wise
biggrin.gif
).

Mar 7, 2004 at 12:49 AM Post #14 of 24
The only closed 'phone i've tried in your range is the Senn 280. They're pretty good, but because their highs are a bit harsh i'd not like to listen to them for too long in a sitting. Also, they're not the most comfortable. Saying that, they're pretty damn good for the price.

I'd have to say give the V6's a try, if you don't like them you can always try the 280.

Mar 7, 2004 at 1:13 AM Post #15 of 24
if you use headphone for a long period and need comfort, sony v6 is the last thing you want. they give me ear sweating and the sound is so 'bright' that it fatigue my ear in 15minutes.

you might want to to try grados, the sr60 and sr80 have comfortable earpads, they sit on your ears but they are big enough to cover your ears aswell. they're one of the best sound headphone for rock music in my opinion. they leaks a lot so people can hear your music 10feet away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back