Best for gym / physical activity:
Apr 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #2 of 17
I use the Meelectronics S6 / M6.  They are pretty cheap >$20.

They have built in ear hook and you can usually get a good seal with trying different ear tips.

Sound quality is not amazing but at the $20 price range they are very good. 

I've had a pair of m6, for probably 2 years with about 100 trips to the gym and they are still working fine.

There is a thread with more info about gym headphones if you search a bit. Don't know it off the top of my head...

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 17
If need better isoaltion then Etymotic HF5, HF3, Yamaha EPH100, JVC FXD80 are pretty good for $100+ budget.

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #4 of 17
If need better isoaltion then Etymotic HF5, HF3, Yamaha EPH100, JVC FXD80 are pretty good for $100+ budget.

Thanks for the JVC recommendation. I didn't know those existed! Their stuff has always seemed to be built pretty well (at least in my opinion) and has outlasted a number of other electronics I've owned. Adding those to my Wishlist and may just have to grab 'em soon to try them out.

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:
Anybody have a recommendation for decent quality earphones that can work well at the gym and will keep a good seal throughout a workout?

First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-278-iems-compared-astrotec-am-800-dx-60-added-03-31-13-p-659#post_6492044

But to keep it short, would go with the M6 as they are fairly sweat resistant and ergonomics are fantastic. Never found the FXD80s to do exceedingly well with isolation, average by all means (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). You've also not stated a budget or sound preferences, so unless those aren't being considered...

Apr 15, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #6 of 17
Shure SE215. No microphonics, excellent isolation (only bested by Ety's), sound good, and will stay in your ear through anything. The cord is also very tough and replaceable if need-be. I find that a very, very important attribute to a gym IEM.

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #8 of 17
First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-278-iems-compared-astrotec-am-800-dx-60-added-03-31-13-p-659#post_6492044

But to keep it short, would go with the M6 as they are fairly sweat resistant and ergonomics are fantastic. Never found the FXD80s to do exceedingly well with isolation, average by all means (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). You've also not stated a budget or sound preferences, so unless those aren't being considered...

Forgive me, I read a number of threads over a 30-minute period of time and a number of them were short or unhelpful...so I posted my question in a new thread. I appreciate your grace.

For those looking for additional info., I have a pair of Shure e2c's that are about 9 years old. While i get a decent seal, they don't do so well with microphonics...but maybe that's just me. I've worn them at the gym, while mowing, etc...and I'm pretty sure their best days are behind them. As for price, I'm probably in/around the $100 price range.

I've also been looking at IEM's for live music (I play guitar, bass, etc.) and am leaning towards either Shure 535's, Westone 4/4-r, or 1964Ears quads. Depending on what I go with, the new gym phones may have to wait a month or two, but I wanted to go ahead and begin researching now. But the M6 is a great price, so I could try those out anytime.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #10 of 17
S6 has filter (block moisture) and short cable with extension. Sound wise they use same driver, only filter may effect sound. I got s6 for $18. But anymore and i would just get m6.

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #11 of 17
I am thinking about getting a gym earphone, and seems lots of people recommend the M6.  M6 looks interesting, but does anyone use the Rock It Sounds R-50 for gym use and want to chime in if they are good/bad for the gym?

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #12 of 17
There aren't many earbuds I have ever run across that can stay put through an entire gym workout for me.  Either I sweat too much or I have strangely shaped ear canals.  Once I really get a sweat worked up and I'm bending and jumping and doing all the crazy things you do in a gym...the earbuds or IEM's fall out. 

This year I have run across a few workout earbuds that I can't shake loose no matter what.  The first is the Yurbuds Ironman series and the  Limited Edition.  The Limited Edition have the noise isolating tips.  Once you get the right seal, they are really a solid choice!  The Ironman series uses the non noise isolating twist lock tips.  The Ironman series silicone tips don't budge at all!  Once you get the proper size you are good to go.  The limited edition rely more on a great seal. 

The other set that I discovered this year that might just be the best of the bunch as far as saying put.  The Monster Isport Strive.  I use the larger tips on these so that I get a really snug fit.  But I tell you what!  I have put these things through insane workouts and they truly have not moved - not even the smallest bit. 

I am going to start a series on my youtube channel covering some workout headphones.  I have about 10 pairs or maybe more.  More to come. 

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #13 of 17
I used uetriplefi and now om my 3rd of ue900.

I might buy meeele m6 pro to save my last ue900 set.
Don't use expensive iem for the gym. I learn that in a very expensive way :frowning2:

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #14 of 17
I've been using Etymotic products for almost 10 years in the gym running on the treadmill. After trying many IEM, I decided to stick with Etymotic products for 2 main reasons

1) The 3 flanges earpiece stays in the ear without slipping out for the whole session of my running between 60 minutes and 90 minutes. You may have to push it in once in a while during the session

2) If sweat gets into your ear and the IEM, it'll only weaken\damage the filters which can be changed easily without damaging the IEM

To prevent sweat entering my ears, I use my toilet or fingers to wick away the sweat from my fore head regularly between 10 minutes and 30minutes when the sweat is coming the most

Apr 23, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #15 of 17
I used uetriplefi and now om my 3rd of ue900.

I might buy meeele m6 pro to save my last ue900 set.
Don't use expensive iem for the gym. I learn that in a very expensive way
frown.gif

I've been using Etymotic products for almost 10 years in the gym running on the treadmill. After trying many IEM, I decided to stick with Etymotic products for 2 main reasons

1) The 3 flanges earpiece stays in the ear without slipping out for the whole session of my running between 60 minutes and 90 minutes. You may have to push it in once in a while during the session

2) If sweat gets into your ear and the IEM, it'll only weaken\damage the filters which can be changed easily without damaging the IEM

To prevent sweat entering my ears, I use my toilet or fingers to wick away the sweat from my fore head regularly between 10 minutes and 30minutes when the sweat is coming the most

Lol this thread is 2 years old y'all 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back