Best for airplane use?
Oct 7, 2011 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

velvet396

New Head-Fier
Going to Hawaii. Long flights.
Looking to reduce or eliminate engine noise. Hate in-ears.

Down to JVC has600 or has700, Philips $30 active noise cancelling or any other suggestions at the $30 price point.

These will only be used on planes once or twice a year.
I have Senn pc360 that I love, hd 201 that I use every day because they're closed back and cheap, but neither of those fit this purpose.

Oct 7, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 6
Yep, $30 with active noise cancelling functionality. You're going to struggle for choice.

Oct 7, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #3 of 6
Are you saying get the Philips?
Or just saying I'm screwed. I could probably swing up to $50 max.
I already got one pair of the Philips for $12 on clearance at Target. But I need another pair for my wife.

Oct 7, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 6
It is definitely slim pickings in that price range assuming you want decent sonic quality,

Still you could swing these for just under $50.

Sony MDR NC40

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #5 of 6
I have both the HAS600 and the HAS700. .I think you would like the HAS600.. They are better sounding than the HAS700 and isolates very well..Even with lower volume in music it will drown out outside noise. Go for the HAS600.

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Going to Hawaii. Long flights.
Looking to reduce or eliminate engine noise. Hate in-ears.
Down to JVC has600 or has700, Philips $30 active noise cancelling or any other suggestions at the $30 price point.
These will only be used on planes once or twice a year.
I have Senn pc360 that I love, hd 201 that I use every day because they're closed back and cheap, but neither of those fit this purpose.

Heya,

Nothing will eliminate engine noise on a plane. I flew with a few sets of headphones and tested that. The only thing that will really take the sound down are IEM's. Even then, you'll still hear the air in your chest vibrating. You will always hear something as a result of those engines. Get a pair of Vmoda Fades. They're basically ear plugs but allow certain levels of audio to be heard. Use them in conjunction with any closed headphone of your choice. Should reduce everything as much as possible and is a cheaper solution than buying nice IEMs. Or just use actual IEM's.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back