Best FLAC converter??
Apr 13, 2010 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

jms91

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I need some help. I am using Itunes and a good chunk of my music is stuck in Flac so I am looking to convert them into Mp3 or WAV. I haven't been able to find anything online. Anyone have any suggestions?

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 60
I don;t think there is a best one but it's more what is more convenient to use. Doesn't itunes have some kind of converter for that? I use foobar to do all my converting from flac to different lossy formats.

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 60
X2 for Foobar. I just converted all of my flac files into mp3 using the lame 3.98.4 codec and it worked flawlessly.

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 60
I highly recommend Max.
Support all of the most popular audio codecs, like FLAC, Apple Lossless, MP3, AAC, and more.

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 60
I used FlacSquisher for my portable set, but I'm in a Windows machine aswell.

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 60
I had the same issue only last night. I could download an album (Astropilot - Solar Walk) in FLAC or 320KBPS. All the rest of my stuff is lossless so I downloaded the FLAC version got a free download of Winamp and coverted FLAC to WAV and imported into itunes from there.

If you go down this route there are great walk throughs just by Googling Converting FLAC to itunes or similar. It worked for me....

Good luck with your search.

Nigel

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #10 of 60
@ OP: +1 for foobar

@SpudHarris: Nigel, which site did you download Astropilot from?

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 60
Okay thanks RallyMaster, I download FlacSquisher and it works but the only problem is that all the FLAC files are being converted to Mp3s with relatively low bit-rates (around 190 kbps and some as low as 120 kbps). Am I doing something wrong or is the quality going to suffer that much?

Also, @freakydrew did you buy that or are you just using the trial version?

Sadly I am still using Itunes for most of my music. Will I be able to transfer all of my music and the FLAC files if I download Foobar?

Sorry for at the questions. You guys are really helping me out!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #13 of 60
With Foobar all you need to do is add the folder where all of your flac files are located, all of the files will appear, highlight them all, right click, and choose convert. There is a list of options. Still have to download the codec and point foobar to where it is located.

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #14 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by jms91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay thanks RallyMaster, I download FlacSquisher and it works but the only problem is that all the FLAC files are being converted to Mp3s with relatively low bit-rates (around 190 kbps and some as low as 120 kbps). Am I doing something wrong or is the quality going to suffer that much?

Also, @freakydrew did you buy that or are you just using the trial version?

Sadly I am still using Itunes for most of my music. Will I be able to transfer all of my music and the FLAC files if I download Foobar?

Sorry for at the questions. You guys are really helping me out!!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd say you probably want to convert to wav or ALAC (Apple Lossless) if you want to use iTunes as your media player. Then you can still have the full CD quality, instead of encoding to a lossy format.

FlacSquisher is designed so that you can have two copies of your music; one in FLAC format for listening at home or for backups, and one for your portable devices that don't have enough space to use FLAC (such as my 2GB Sansa). This is why the bitrate is somewhat low by default; the lossy copy isn't meant to be your primary copy, it's just supposed to be your portable copy. If you're space-constrained, and all you want is a high-quality MP3 copy, then use "-V0" (recommended) or "-b 320".

Are you using MacOSX, or Windows? If you're on Windows, can you just use Foobar2000 as your media player? That way you can use your FLAC files as-is, with no need to deal with encoding them to another format.

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #15 of 60
Okay so I decided to try Foobar and I am really glad I did! I can finally listen to all of my FLAC files and they sound amazing.

Are there certain settings that will provide better quality when converting to WAV/MP3? I am just using the default WAV output format through Foobar, I am not really sure what to choose, if anything, for the processing option

Users who are viewing this thread

Back