Best FLAC converter
May 2, 2007 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

denisavu

100+ Head-Fier
What is the absolute best converter for lossless audio? LAME? I'm still very new to all of this so I would appreciate any direction you all can give me.

Thanks.

May 2, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #3 of 20
So how do I rip music from my CD's to preserve all of its integrity (i.e. with no loss of quality)? Please share your routine.

May 2, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #4 of 20
go find a program called EAC - Exact Audio Copy. Set it up according to the tutorial I'm linking to below. Rip your CD's to .wav files, then convert them to lossless (flac is probably most popular now, but ape and shn are also lossless). If you want compression for a portable player with mp3, AAC, etc., that's a whole other ball game. But convert your CD's to flac if you don't want to lose anything.

http://www.teqnilogik.com/tutorials/eac.htm

other people may have other suggestions for how to go about the process, but this works well for me. I'm confident I'm getting as good a rip from my cd's as possible on a vanilla home PC.

May 2, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #6 of 20
Wow, insane loads of information. Thanks guys, you're the best! Now for some serious reading!

May 2, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Autoflac is probably the easiest way to go about configuring EAC to work with FLAC.

EAC has an easier integration with *.ape, but *.ape support is limited on DAPs, so... FLAC is the way to go.

Best of luck.

that's what I do. I have EAC rip it to FLAC

May 2, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #9 of 20
Autoflac huh.... one learns something each day on this forum.... but how much easier does it makes things when one has EAC already configured properly to rip in flac?

May 2, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 20
Use the latest version of FLAC (1.1.4, last I checked), as it provides better compression. There's guides online about configuring EAC and FLAC together.

May 2, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #11 of 20
Well, to make the information overkill complete...
wink.gif

An excellent source for info regarding digital audio/compression (lossy or lossless) is Hydrogenaudio.
Very useful is their knowlegde base (click me), where you can find hints and tips how to install/configure EAC (with LAME, FLAC, or whatever you're up to use). That really helps a lot, because EAC isn't a software which is very easy to use - well, usage itself is a no-brainer when it's configured properly once, but this might be a long way (just look at all the options to configure).

So here you have another two links which should also help with configuring EAC:
http://users.pandora.be/satcp/
http://users.fulladsl.be/spb2267/

If you really want to have accurate rips from CDs, take a look here (plugin for EAC).

Hope that helps...

May 3, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use the latest version of FLAC

Yeah good point...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back