Best entry audiophile headphones under 250 dollars
May 7, 2013 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

slytherin

Head-Fier
Hi,guys I am looking to forward to becoming an audiophile, and I would like  to know what are some of the best headphones I can get for less than 250 dollars. I usually listen to classical rock, or alternative rock, and sometimes house music. I would like to know what are the best headphones in that price range, in general. Know I own the ath m50.

May 7, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:
Hi,guys I am looking to forward to becoming an audiophile, and I would like  to know what are some of the best headphones I can get for less than 250 dollars. I usually listen to classical rock, or alternative rock, and sometimes house music. I would like to know what are the best headphones in that price range, in general. Know I own the ath m50.

What are you going to be using it for? Portable headphones for everything (need portable closed backs) or listening in the comforts of privacy and don't have to care about annoying people around you (open back and size doesn't matter)?

Since you have the m50, do you like the sound signature? Or do you want something more neutral/flat?

May 7, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 30
Grado 225i....or a used pair of Grado 325i

May 7, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 30
probably,for the confort of my home,since they are big,I usually don't carry them around.I don't carry about size and would actually want something bigger than the m50, but I have been reading some reviews saying there are some that are better and I would like to find one , in that price range

May 7, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 30
I would also suggest looking at the HD595s.  They are out of production but can often be found used for cheaper than both the 558s and 598s.  

May 7, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #10 of 30
The HD-598 has terrible sound leakage. Definitely not usable in public.
Q701 would actually be a better choice if you can find an open box deal. You need an amp for them though.

May 7, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:
The HD-598 has terrible sound leakage. Definitely not usable in public.
Q701 would actually be a better choice if you can find an open box deal. You need an amp for them though.

well,that sucks, I like listening to my music without everyone else listening to it too,and I don't really want an amp, any that does not need an amp?

May 7, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:
I was looking at the sennheiser hd 598 and they seem like a good pick, are they? are they worth 70 dollars more than the sennheiser hd 558?

Well the HD 598 is substantially better than the 558, and marginally better than the 595. I think it is one of the best entry level audiophile headphone, simply because it sounds great with nearly everything. The soundstage is enormous, (imo bigger than HD600 and 650) and it is mid-centric which means it excels with acoustic and vocal music. Its bass is bit on the light side (very little sub-bass) so if bass is most important to you check out the DT 880.

Also you can look at the HE-300 which is also good all around. There is also the new AD900x which will have less bass than the 598, but probably better detail, highs and soundstage (best for classical music).

EDIT: but yes, all open headphones will have zero isolation (sound leaks in and out). However, the general consensus is that open headphones will sound better and have a bigger soundstage than their closed counterpart.

May 7, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #15 of 30
Unamped: Sony MDR MA900
spent some time with these and really comes close to my hd 600 in quality sound. ma900 is warmer and laid back and big sound stage.
would be a nice transition from your m50 as i have the m50s too. a amp and dac still helps but not needed.

Amped: DT 880 or HD 600
slightly above budget both can be found at ~300 and a lot of reviews on these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back