Best Electrostatic Headphone's For Detail
Feb 20, 2019 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Dan Lee

500+ Head-Fier
Ok so am well aware that this question to some extent has been posed before. But in my 100s of search attempts I have not found a thread for which detail retrieval was the primary focus and or one that did not have a price limit. So long as we exclude the more out of reach electros like the Orpheus or Shangri-la SR. I want to know which of the current cream of the crop electros will extract the absolute most detail. I want to be able to hear everything that can be heard.

On that same note which Amps/Energizers would you recommend to extend the detail further?

I dont want to spend as much as a car or house for this setup but I am willing to invest to get the most detail available. I hear about the SR-009 all the time and occasionally the Voce but not in relation to detail. I keep hearing about the BHSE or the KGSSHV and some others. I personally prefer SS to Tubes, but let me know what you guys think here. Does anyone like the ifi iESL?

Thanks ahead of time for any replies and any information on offer. It is much appreciated.
Dan Lee

Feb 21, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 39
Come on guys I know Im no headphonus supremus, but lets drum up something for those of us willing to get to as high a tier as we can get too.

Feb 21, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 39
Sr-009 or Sr-009S with a KG T2 .
If not , KGSSHV Carbon still does a pretty good job if you like SS.

For me, the VOCE is meh, i much prefer the staxes ( 007/009 )

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 39
Thanks for the reply my friend. I keep hearing about the T2 and how good it is. I hope to try it at some point. I recently decided to try electrostatics for the first time and got ths SR-L700's thinking that I wasnt gonna be that impressed. Well damn was I wrong. Thats a $1400 headphone that sounds just as good if not better then the previously, and currently in a downward spiral, $4000 Focal Utopias. After that I was a little sad cause I knew I would be losing a good bit more money soon.

I just emailed the guys at headphones.com to set me up with a set of SR-009's and now have to decide what to run them from. I have been strongly considering the Carbon cause not to sure I wanna go the tube route. Not because I hate tubes, but they have a tendency to warm the sound signature, and that typically leads to less detail retrieval and I really want to hear everything. But then again Im new to the electrostatic game and maybe the tube amps like the BHSE or the WOO WES provide the same level of detail with some added musical benefits, but I really dont know yet.

I thought I was at my end game when I finally had both my Utopias and my LCD-4s, and was just throwing the electros into the mix to say I had some or had heard them and lo and behold the end game came and went almost instantly.

I have heard a lot of people say the same as you about the VOCE. I guess it sounds very unlike a typical electrostatic headphone, but Ive been unable to hear it as of yet.

Any other stat amps you feel would be worthy to throw into the mix?

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 39
Thanks for the reply my friend. I keep hearing about the T2 and how good it is. I hope to try it at some point. I recently decided to try electrostatics for the first time and got ths SR-L700's thinking that I wasnt gonna be that impressed. Well damn was I wrong. Thats a $1400 headphone that sounds just as good if not better then the previously, and currently in a downward spiral, $4000 Focal Utopias. After that I was a little sad cause I knew I would be losing a good bit more money soon.

I just emailed the guys at headphones.com to set me up with a set of SR-009's and now have to decide what to run them from. I have been strongly considering the Carbon cause not to sure I wanna go the tube route. Not because I hate tubes, but they have a tendency to warm the sound signature, and that typically leads to less detail retrieval and I really want to hear everything. But then again Im new to the electrostatic game and maybe the tube amps like the BHSE or the WOO WES provide the same level of detail with some added musical benefits, but I really dont know yet.

I thought I was at my end game when I finally had both my Utopias and my LCD-4s, and was just throwing the electros into the mix to say I had some or had heard them and lo and behold the end game came and went almost instantly.

I have heard a lot of people say the same as you about the VOCE. I guess it sounds very unlike a typical electrostatic headphone, but Ive been unable to hear it as of yet.

Any other stat amps you feel would be worthy to throw into the mix?

If you're just looking for measurement tools, then some cheap options seem to be the original Lambda NB/PB and SR-X MK III (some professionals swear by them)
lambda.jpg

and it seems you can't beat the 009 but might as well throw in a DT48A/ DT100 (2000OHM Professional Monitoring System) ; though not electrostatics, to check details/ accuracy in Vocal and general measurement checking of noise in system. All 4 probably 500-900 to acquire.

Feb 22, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 39
(Pm)

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #7 of 39
If you're just looking for measurement tools, then some cheap options seem to be the original Lambda NB/PB and SR-X MK III (some professionals swear by them)

and it seems you can't beat the 009 but might as well throw in a DT48A/ DT100 (2000OHM Professional Monitoring System) ; though not electrostatics, to check details/ accuracy in Vocal and general measurement checking of noise in system. All 4 probably 500-900 to acquire.
Thank u for this information. Im not really using this as a measurement tool. I just more or less want to hear music at its most deep and detailed quality. Though I am now interested in the items you posted at the end for measuring noise in ur system. I never new those even existed and that would be fantastic to learn where your at in that regard and fix it if need be.

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #8 of 39
I was very impressed with the Stax 009 phones and Blue Hawaii amp at the Mytek booth at CanJam NYC last weekend. Glorious sound. (I'm trying to put it out of my mind, actually.)

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 39
Haha yeah its hard to resist once you ha e heard how good a pair of headphones or amp can be. I wish i had some of that... what do you call it... o yeah will power haha.

Feb 23, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 39
the stax 009s afford the lightest effort of listening with the largest amount of fine detail.
never strained at any volume after listening for hours. only at great cost.
any stats will reveal details sometimes that should remain masked.

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #11 of 39
Thats what I have heard and as a result thats what i am gonna order and then im prolly havin a kgsshv carbon built to push it thanks to recomendations and help from mystel and some others on headfi. Cant wait

Feb 25, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #12 of 39
Well I finally got the SR-009's on order. I decided not to go with the S model as the general consensus is that the 009 is a bit more detailed and true to the music.

I am now going back and forth as to whether to go with a BHSE or KGSSHV CARBON or something in that same vein. Have any of you heard both the BHSE and Carbon and if so which did you prefer? Which was more detailed? and perhaps most importantly have you heard something that you enjoyed more?

May 3, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #15 of 39
edit* crap, didn't realize this was revived lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back