Best effective way to cut heatshrink?
Mar 18, 2006 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

vleong1

New Head-Fier
Yes I know a pair of scissors will do the job.
eggosmile.gif

But I'm wondering if anyone knows an effective way to cut it "perfectly round" (even and straight throughout) everytime?

I've used a cheap paper cutter to cut the regular 3:1 and it worked pretty well but when I tried to cut the adhesive lined heatshrink it just wouldn't work. It gets wavy and ugly after shrinking
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Also tried using an xacto knife and ruler but no good (half of the perimeter is higher than the other half).

Thanks

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 15
THere is this thing I don't know the name in english, used to cut paper, photos etc. It has an area with measurements nad then on the edge has a sharpblade which is fixed on one end. This allows to cut at exactly 90º. I'll try t find a picture so you understand

Manuel

Mar 18, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos
THere is this thing I don't know the name in english, used to cut paper, photos etc. It has an area with measurements nad then on the edge has a sharpblade which is fixed on one end. This allows to cut at exactly 90º. I'll try t find a picture so you understand

Manuel

http://www.dickblick.com/zz571/08/

Mar 18, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 15
12inchpapertrimmer.gif

I just use scissors, sidecutters, exacto-knife, or whatever I can reach. But I guess if you want to make it really precise, this guy is quick and accurate.

For very large shrink-tubing however, I suppose there are other options...
DSCN1820.JPG

Mar 19, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #8 of 15
Thanks everyone who posted above for your input!
biggrin.gif

I figure my cheap paper cutter just wasn't good enough for the thicker stuff. This is what I'm actually using:
9598.jpg

So it basically comes down to one of these cutters.

[size=medium]
dahle-200-cutter.jpg
(Arm Cutter) OR
12inchpapertrimmer.gif
(Rotary Cutter)
[/size]

Anyone have any idea which one would be better?

Mar 19, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #11 of 15
Razor blade and a plastic transparent ruler. Trap the heatshrink underneath the ruler at whatever length you need and use the end of the ruler as a straight edge. By pressing down firmly on the ruler, the heatshrink completely flattens out, making a clean, square cut much easier.

Mar 19, 2006 at 11:34 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bingalls
Razor blade and a plastic transparent ruler. Trap the heatshrink underneath the ruler at whatever length you need and use the end of the ruler as a straight edge. By pressing down firmly on the ruler, the heatshrink completely flattens out, making a clean, square cut much easier.

I've tried this a few times with no luck. I used a metal ruler instead and I tried this on the adhesive lined heatshrink. It seems as if it cuts straight but after shrinking I get a couple of "dips/waves" which just ain't pretty.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by vleong1
I've tried this a few times with no luck. I used a metal ruler instead and I tried this on the adhesive lined heatshrink. It seems as if it cuts straight but after shrinking I get a couple of "dips/waves" which just ain't pretty.
evil_smiley.gif

Try putting a ruler on both sides of it, press down hard so it doesn't stretch while only a small area inbetween is free to slide the blade. I'm not that picky though, I use a giant pair of Wiss scissors and if it cuts a bit crooked, I just cut it again. Then again, waves could be from uneven heating too.

Mar 20, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mono
Try putting a ruler on both sides of it, press down hard so it doesn't stretch while only a small area inbetween is free to slide the blade. I'm not that picky though, I use a giant pair of Wiss scissors and if it cuts a bit crooked, I just cut it again. Then again, waves could be from uneven heating too.

Ah never tried using two rulers.
Good point on the uneven heating as I never thought about. I may be cutting straight but when heating it may not be evenly heated.

Mar 26, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #15 of 15
I kept coming across this thread in my own quest for a better way to cut heatshrink, so I thought I should post what I eventually came up with. I found a tool called The Chopper II, which model railroad enthusiasts use for... whatever it is that they do. It's a bit spendy ($40 to $50) as compared to scissors, but it works beautifully. It's basically a little cutting table with a craft razor blade on a pivot arm. It has gridlines on it, and adjustible stops (one of which is 90 degrees), which makes a nice straight cut of a precise length of heatshrink fast and easy. I often have to cut a few hundred pieces at a time to a particular length, and for that purpose it's invaluable.

I wrote an article for Make magazine, and on my own blog that goes into more details. However, a careful reading of the posting guidelines suggests I am not allowed to link to it. Mods? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back