Best dynamic phone/cable combo to replace my dead R-10's
Aug 9, 2008 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

msjjr

100+ Head-Fier
The title says it. I'm looking for the best dynamic phones to "replace" my dead R-10's. I already have the Grado HP 1000 and a modified pair of AKG 1000. So maybe? Grado GS-1000 with upgrade cable? I appreciate all the help.

I pray there is a special place in hell for the creep who sold me the R-10's.

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by msjjr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The title says it. I'm looking for the best dynamic phones to "replace" my dead R-10's. I already have the Grado HP 1000 and a modified pair of AKG 1000. So maybe? Grado GS-1000 with upgrade cable? I appreciate all the help.

I pray there is a special place in hell for the creep who sold me the R-10's.

I think I can speak for all, that we are sorry for your loss. And, thank you for getting me over an irrational desire to acquire a pair of R-10. Alex has been looking for me a pair (well, that I can afford) for YEARS.

Just to prevent further heartache for others, perhaps you have posted a rather less than flattering feedback for the seller, or at least vented your spleen with them?

No real place to go to replace the R-10, but, you already know that. Edit: N/m, read your sig. For something different, Qualias?

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 50
Hi mate,

I don't know about the seller who cheated you, but may he burn in hell for that.

Regarding what could you use to replace the R10s.... Were they bass-lite or bass-heavies? Did you have the occasion to get accostumed to their sound or the damage was right there when they arrived and you really don't know how they sound?

Rgrds

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 50
They were the bass light ones, and they sounded fine. They were featured at a meet I hosted once, and all who listened were very impressed.

I got them off of Audiogon about 5-6 yrs ago, so I cannot recall who the seller was. It was not a fellow head-fier as far as I know.

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by msjjr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They were the bass light ones, and they sounded fine. They were featured at a meet I hosted once, and all who listened were very impressed.

I got them off of Audiogon about 5-6 yrs ago, so I cannot recall who the seller was. It was not a fellow head-fier as far as I know.

Buuuffff, you had the most difficult to replace IMHO. Probably nothing will give that sound to you. I've read the other post and what I'd try is using the CD3000 drivers. Other option which might work surprisingly well is trying the D5000/D2000 (they're supposed to be the same) drivers. You won't lose much money trying that.

What do you think you'd miss most of the R10?

Rgrds

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 50
Sorry for your experience. That really sucks—and that’s an understatement. You could always go for an out-of-production can (L3000, PS-1, Qualia, etc.), but you also might want to consider the MarkL–modded Denon D5000 (aka MD5000), which is readily available. Cool Torpedo did a great comparison of the MD5000 and R10 in another thread. I’m comparing a modded D5000 to my R10s right now, and it’s very close—and the Denons aren’t even fully burned in yet. If they continue to show as strongly as they are now, there might be another pair of R10s for sale in the next few months.
icon10.gif
I would have to consider that move VERY carefully, but the MD5000s are the first ‘phones that have me actually considering it.

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for your experience. That really sucks—and that’s an understatement. You could always go for an out-of-production can (L3000, PS-1, Qualia, etc.), but you also might want to consider the MarkL–modded Denon D5000 (aka MD5000), which is readily available. Cool Torpedo did a great comparison of the MD5000 and R10 in another thread. I’m comparing a modded D5000 to my R10s right now, and it’s very close—and the Denons aren’t even fully burned in yet. If they continue to show as strongly as they are now, there might be another pair of R10s for sale in the next few months.
icon10.gif
I would have to consider that move VERY carefully, but the MD5000s are the first ‘phones that have me actually considering it.

Yep, I was thinking about them, the MD5000, but everything depends on what he'll be missing most from his R10. Furthermore he already owns great cans...

Rgrds

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon10.gif

x2, MarkL sold his R10s in favor of the MD5000s sound
L3000.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 50
Again, I'm sorry about your R10s. I can't imagine what I'd be thinking right now if they were mine. As for replacing them, you might want to consider going a different direction than dynamics, and not try to replace the sound you'll be missing (any dynamic cans will only remind you), but find and look at a great O2 or 4070 set up, depending on your preferences. I find that O2s, MK1 or MK2, make a great complement to R10s out of the right amp. If you don't want to invest in estat set up, I often thought I could be happy with either HD650s or 600s, with an Equinox cable, in my current setup if I chose to sell. What the heck, get some UE11s and enjoy! My current favorite cans are R10s, O2 MK1, and UE11, and I like them all equally, but for different reasons. I'm not a great fan of the Denons, but have yet to hear modded pairs. Good luck to you.

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^He already owns the Omega II and HE90
wink.gif

Rgrds

oooops. My bad for not reading the profile....and to think I've criticized others for doing just that.
eek.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oooops. My bad for not reading the profile....and to think I've criticized others for doing just that.
eek.gif

I don't read profiles that much, but it happens that msjjr has his cans listed on his signature hehehehe.

I think he's going to miss the R10 whatever he purchases, but depending on the things he loves most of the R10, he might get a nice substitute in those preferred feauters, or perhaps he already owns what would be the best substitute.

Rgrds

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #13 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't read profiles that much, but it happens that msjjr has his cans listed on his signature hehehehe.

I think he's going to miss the R10 whatever he purchases, but depending on the things he loves most of the R10, he might get a nice substitute in those preferred feauters, or perhaps he already owns what would be the best substitute.

Rgrds

ah...I've had signatures turned off for quite some time, as the length of some made it a royal pita to check out head-fi when using my phone.

Unless you are really looking for a dynamic full-sized can, and/or have something against iems, why not consider the UE10s or 11s. The sq is really astonishing. I just read Bozebuttons post in another thread that if he had to downsize from his unbelievable gear stash, he'd be happy with an imod/PRII and UE11s. I pretty much feel the same, though wouldn't want to have to put it to the test.

* I should state that at this time I've only had the benefit of listening to both the UE10s and UE11s in their universal form, but I got to do so at two separate meets, plus on an airplane, and then for a few hours in the privacy of my own home and again at work with my own music, using both a simple ipod and my macbook plus pico. I have UE11s on order.
redface.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #14 of 50
Mmmm I own a pair of UE10 Pro and while I find them rather correct, warm and relaxed, I don't think they can rival any of my big cans, not even the HD600, though I like them better than the Ultrasones and K701. However were I forced to downgrade, I could agree with Bozebuttons and be rather content with the Sony 818 or Ipod and the Triple.fis.

Rgrds

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #15 of 50
Hi all. I'm Mike, BTW. I am indeed going the route of the CD300 drivers...for now. I will also investigate the possibility of other drivers, or even custom made ones.
eek.gif

What do I miss about the R-10's? Not the bass, that's for sure; but the sweet midrange/vocals were especially nice. I so enjoy the HE-90's that I may not really miss anything about the R-10's per se. But I have something even rarer; a wife who enjoys the headphone experience with me
icon10.gif
; these were her favorite dynamic pair of phones. You know how these wacky headphone enthusiasts can be.

I do like the suggestion of the modified Denon, though.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back