Best DSD Miles?
Aug 30, 2001 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

coolvij

Board geriatric
I just realized Sony has issued some new remasters of Miles.

I wasn't sure exactly which album would benefit most from the new DSD mastering - so can any of you guys (or girls) tell me which album, from the list below, you'd buy DSD remastered. And don't mention Kind Of Blue - I already have it, and don't have enough money OR albums to start collecting dupes....even if the new remaster sounds a LOT better.

here's the list:

'Round About Midnight (SRCS 9101)
Miles Ahead (SRCS 9106)
Milestones (SRCS 9103)
1958 Miles (SRCS 9102)
Porgy and Bess (SRCS 9107)
Kind of Blue (SRCS 9104)
Sketches of Spain (SRCS 9108)
Someday My Prince Will Come (SRCS 9105)
Seven Steps to Heaven (SRCS 9109)
My Funny Valentine (SRCS 9110)
Four and More (SRCS 9111)
Miles in Tokyo (SRCS 9112)
E.S.P. (SRCS 9113)
Miles Smiles (SRCS 9114)
Sorcerer (SRCS 9115)
Nefertiti (SRCS 9116)
In a Silent Way (SRCS 9117)
Bitches Brew (SRCS 9118/9)
A Tribute to Jack Johnson (SRCS 9120)
Miles Davis at Fillmore (SRCS 9121/2)
Live-Evil (SRCS 9123/4)
On the Corner (SRCS 9125)
Get Up With It (SRC 9126/7)
Agharta (SRCS 9128/9)
Pangaea (SRCS 9130/1)
The Man With The Horn (SRCS 9132)
We Want Miles (SRCS 9133/4)
Star People (SRCS 9135)
Decoy (SRCS 9136)
You're Under Arrest (SRCS 9137)

Thanx in advance,

vij.

P.S. These disc are also pretty expensive - around $30 a pop! I figure this is a better deal than the expensive MSFL Gold discs, though...

Aug 31, 2001 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 8
Vij: are they that expensive in the US? Maybe if you look in normal CD-shops you can find them cheaper. There's a shop here that occasionally has DSD masters for normal CD retail price.

Also, I would try to listen to those albums first cause there is an incredible variety there, it ranges from 'plain' 50's and 60's jazz to experimental fusion to 80's synth-pop.
Anywayz I have The "Miles In Tokyo" and "In a Silent Way" DSD's and both sound much better than the normal CD's. "Miles In Tokyo" has a few strange artifacts however, such as a slight pre-echo in the solos. But is still a superb CD and if you like "Kind Of Blue" you will like this one.

hope this helps

Aug 31, 2001 at 12:36 PM Post #3 of 8
coovij, I have Kind of Blue and Porgy and Bess out of your list and I borrowed Sketches of Spain to compare with the vinyl version I have. They are quite excellent CD's (and I paid 13 bucks a piece - Virgin Megastore and J & R Music World), though vinyl Miles still sounds better to me. That could be because my equipment is on the bright end.

Aug 31, 2001 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 8
coolvij: Are you referring to the Sony Legacy CDs or SACD releases? $30 sounds like SACD prices.

Aug 31, 2001 at 7:58 PM Post #5 of 8
Beagle: I am referring to the Japanese ONLY import DSD masters of a LOT of Miles....on amazon.com. I was not aware all these DSD masters of Miles were being sold in the US - since they apparently are, I guess I'll look around. Just to clarify - NOT SACD, but the DSD remasters.....

Anyway - my question still stands. I am leaning towards getting Someday My Prince Will Come OR Sketches of Spain OR Porgy and Bess.

Only one reccomendation, please.

Thanx again....

Sep 1, 2001 at 12:07 AM Post #6 of 8
Sketches of Spain would be my rec...

HOWEVER...

Coolvij, the truth is that on your current system, you probably won't be able to tell much difference between the most recent Sony/Columbia remaster and the new import DSD version. The Sony/Columbia remaster is <$10. Buy three from the list instead of one $30 import
wink.gif

Sep 1, 2001 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 8
MacDEF: Ya think so? hmm......
redface.gif

Well - I'd be getting the CD after my PCDP and Cal Gamma - YES - that is a decision
biggrin.gif

Anyway.....I think I'll stick to the Sony/Legacy reissues - sorry for this unnecessary thread....

After all - I hope to bypass the Denon 370, and go straight to an SACD when my next source upgrade comes around
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2001 at 5:24 AM Post #8 of 8
Legacy just released some US Miles CDs in 2001:

Round About Midnight
Milestones
Newport 58'
Jazz at the Plaza

I have the the new US Milestones, and it sounds much improved over the previous US issue - real stereo for first time. All of these discs go on sale for $7.99 or 8.99 sometimes, great deal.

These are not DSD masters and I'm not sure If the the upcoming 'Complete In A Silent Way Sessions'(Oct) are going to be cut from DSD masters. I hope they issue an SACD version, but I'll get the CD if they don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back