Best drug-related album/CD or most "trippy" CD/album...
Oct 21, 2002 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 124

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
This album/CD most likely requires extra "help" to be fully appreciated. Or... this album/CD makes you *feel* as though you were on the drug that no doubt inspired its creation. So-- what's the most "trippy" music you've ever heard???

This thread does not endorse drugs per se, but it acknowledges their role in the creation of *some of* today's most popular/best music. Any drug is applicable, and any mood created by that drug can be entered here...

Mark

Oct 21, 2002 at 4:08 AM Post #2 of 124
OK... cowards...I'll start... Chemical Brothers, "Surrender"... This CD makes me feel like/wish I was stoned.

Mark

Oct 21, 2002 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 124
alot of early psychedlic trance and goa trance was "inspired" by ppls acid trips. some of the more recent stuff has been attributed to cocaine..

the "most trippy" one i've heard would probably have to be etnica's stuff on their alien protein album.

Oct 21, 2002 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 124
Apparently the dark lyrics and voilent mood shifts on "Audio of Being" by Matthew Good Band seem as if they could be penned by (an insomniac or) a cocaine user.

I had me a vision
I was a fireman in a time of fires
And I was paralyzed
A robot heart for a theme park world
Whatever keeps us alive
Whatever keeps claiming to us being civilized

A Robot heart for a robot boy
who dreamed he was a lion

Our lives in these empty spaces aside
I'm tired of walking around with my hand on my gun
I'm tired of watching them wind you up to see if you'll run
Tonight I'm going to go out and have me some fun
I'm tired of walking around here with my hand on my gun

I urge you guys to download "Sort of A Protest Song" by Matthew Good Band.

If you like that, then download "Advertising on Police Cars", "Truffle Pigs", and "Tripoli". These 4 songs alone mean the world to me.

Oct 21, 2002 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 124
for me there's only two albums that qualify under both of mark's concepts:

The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat - by the time Lady Godiva rolls around its a struggle to remember if I started the album sober.

The Who - A Quick One - Boris the Spider (and the album as a whole) is a lot more fun with some, um, help.

Oct 21, 2002 at 7:07 AM Post #7 of 124
none of you people have bitches brew?

i've never heard them but i doubt a band called "matthew good" is really what we're going for in this thread.

rolleyes.gif

Oct 21, 2002 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 124
well, aside from Pink Floyd, I'd have to nominate Porupine Tree - Voyage 34. damned trippy album, about an LSD trip gone bad. supposedly no drugs were used during the creation, but I have my doubts!

Oct 21, 2002 at 12:38 PM Post #11 of 124
Holy Modal Rounders: Indian War Whoop. If listened to without drugs, sounds trippy and incoherent. However, if listened to in an altered state of consciousness, you'd probably think you're on a bad trip...
very_evil_smiley.gif
(I haven't tried the experiment)

Oct 21, 2002 at 5:05 PM Post #13 of 124
Quote:

Originally posted by sapphiremodena
I urge you guys to download "Sort of A Protest Song" by Matthew Good Band.

If you like that, then download "Advertising on Police Cars", "Truffle Pigs", and "Tripoli". These 4 songs alone mean the world to me.

Why don't you just urge them to go into a music store, take a copy of the CD, stick in inside their jacket and walk out of the store? This way, they get the whole album, not just a couple of songs.

Oct 21, 2002 at 5:22 PM Post #14 of 124
everybody flame beagle.

see beagle, this is the whole POINT of downloading. we haven't heard it, so we're not going to take some internet jackass's word for it, but if it takes no effort at all maybe we WILL try it out. then who knows, everybody becomes obsessed with matthew good band and their cd sales shoot through the roof. if you wanted to bait flame, then here it is: shut up.

oh and it is an insult to jimi to say his stuff can only be appreciated on drugs. (excuse the exaggeration)

I'll add anything by Mahavishnu, and shostikovich cuz if that guy wasn't on something then he had a pretty screwey brain chemistry to begin with. genius.

Oct 21, 2002 at 5:59 PM Post #15 of 124
Quote:

Originally posted by TaffyGuy
oh and it is an insult to jimi to say his stuff can only be appreciated on drugs. (excuse the exaggeration)

I didn't mean to imply this. I've enjoyed his music for many years, and in many states. It can be appreciated in altered states, and was written and performed by someone almost continuously under the influence. But the music's outstanding impact and repercussions certainly transcend (do not require, thank God) chemical intoxication, whether on the part of the performer or of the listener.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back