Best driver(s) for V150 cups
Dec 3, 2010 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Abovetheair

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking to replace the drivers in my Sony V150 headphones, I want to learn a little about the basics in headphone mechanics. So to do so I am going to replace the crappy V150 drivers with something better. I am thinking something that could be bought at a best buy such as some Koss headphones, what model would work best from Koss?

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 9
I doubt anything other than one of the lower sony models will fit in it exactly, everything else is gona take some work.
I have a set of v200 drivers if u want those, more of a lateral step though :p

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 9
No thank you for that offer (Thanks for asking). I don't mind working the driver into the headphone, what drivers would fit in them? I was thinking possibly some KSC75's from Koss. I just want to get my feel of using a soldering gun with headphones, and also get some portable cans that I don't care about getting stolen.

Quote:
I doubt anything other than one of the lower sony models will fit in it exactly, everything else is gona take some work.
I have a set of v200 drivers if u want those, more of a lateral step though :p

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 9
Some of the smaller akg's might fit in there, the 400 series or the 518's.

Also soldering the wires onto the drivers is the easy part, its getting it to solder in the little tiny 3.5mm connector perfectly thats a bitch.

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 9
Hahahaha juan i found it to be the exact opposite (the wires always pop out of place for me because the solder doesnt cool fast enough)

as for the OP: i did a driver transplant with my Portapro drivers! Same headphones! they fit because of the little hooks that the portapros have for the pads hold them in place they just rattle a little bit (you could glue them to fit tight or melt the plastic together). The sound is a bit better when closed and with regular pads but I ended up cutting huge holes in the sony cups and using my grado comfy pads. The soundstage opened up TONS and the detail increased lots too. Acoustic guitars sound fantastic on them. The ksc75 drivers might fit since the portapros did fit (oh a note the portapros wont close at first because the back of the drivers has the plastic protrusion for the original headband part of the incentive to cut a huge hole in the new cups)

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 9
PS: Dont cut off that plastic piece on the portapro drivers if you decide to use them! If you ever feel like going back to the original headband you won't be able to if you cut that piece off! (happened to me
frown.gif
)

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #7 of 9
I don't think it matters, can you take some pictures of what the headphone looks like? I am trying to get a visual of what this headphone looks like.

Quote:
PS: Dont cut off that plastic piece on the portapro drivers if you decide to use them! If you ever feel like going back to the original headband you won't be able to if you cut that piece off! (happened to me
frown.gif
)

Dec 4, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 9
portapro or ksc75 will fit well and have amazing value for their price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back