Best Decade for Music
Sep 30, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #61 of 118
every decade is the best for music i personally think. i do love a lot of oldies from the 30's,40's and 50's and so on but there is some amazing stuff out today. music keeps evolving,maybe not in a good way all the time but it is. just little harder to track down with lot of garbage of today but it's there.

Sep 30, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #62 of 118
Bearing in mind I'm talking purely from a 'which decade has given me the most good music' perspective as opposed to the popular dick waving of the 'which decade do I respect the innovation / influence of the most' perspective, I'd say the 90's with boundaries pushing out to the very late 80's and very early 00s.

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #63 of 118
00's for sure. The rapidly falling barrier to entry to producing and recording music is making possible fantastic albums by gifted performers that could never had a career otherwise. It's also lowering the cost of truly excellent production and mastering, as more people buy good gear and teach themselves the craft.

Strange, I would say exactly the opposite. The rapidly falling barrier to recording and producing music is opening the gates to so many who haven't a clue about the art of recording, production or mastering. The high cost of equipment in the past made sure only the most talented and those who knew what they were doing were even allowed to touch the equipment. Now any kid in a bedroom who doesn't even know what 0VU means can call themselves a recording engineer, producer or heaven forbid a mastering engineer. The result, more truly appalling rubbish then ever before. There's the odd great piece of work but definitely in the minority.

Best decades for me is a tough one, 1730-40s, 1770s, 1870s, 1920s, 1980s (60s and 70s have to be up there too though). The last decade though, arguably the worst; Smaller budgets, far lower production values, less musical innovation and less talent (with a few exceptions).

G

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #65 of 118
Quote:
Deffinately the 80's with crackers like this:

Ha ha! Awesome! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 12, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #69 of 118
My favorite decade is nearly half a century before that time in my life.

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #71 of 118
Most people will put the years they were in high school and college since so many memories are attached to the music.

It would be the 70's for me.  So diverse.....Genesis, The Who, Stones, Rush, Zepplin, ELP, Yes, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Sabbath, Police, Kansas, Elton John, Billy Joel, Neil Young, Springsteen, Chicago, Styx, Journey, Van Halen, ELO to name a few....

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #72 of 118
I would have to say 70's.  Too many great bands and songs to choose from in that decade.  I admit the 80's is a decade of music I am rediscovering and enjoying lately too.  Nostalgia comes on thick when I listen to great 80's tracks.  That could have something to do with it.  

I think we can all agree there are examples of great music in each decade...well, maybe less examples lately but tastes will vary.

A few examples of music I don't mind from the 80's, especially in lossless format through good cans.  All you youngsters out there, feel free to go find some Lil Wayne or something instead. (facepalm)   

(Sorry, these are the best quality I could find on youtube, just to share examples...so much better in flac format.  Like I said, nostalgia 
size]
)
One thing for certain, the 80's had the worst video's for songs haha...cringe!  Just listen, don't watch.  

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #73 of 118
Late 60's to 70's with Pink Floyd or late 90's to 00 with Radiohead?  If I had to, I would go with 70's with Pink Floyd and all the other progressive and classic rock.

Mar 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #75 of 118
Quote:
The decade in which you were in your late teens to late twenties.  Say, 17-26 or 18-27.

This is almost exactly what I was going to say, whenever you were in your 20's.  It's the time when you're actually alive and experiencing first hand the cultural context in which all of the music is made, have the time to actually be up on everything that's  happening that's in your interest zone, and (this is most important) can see live all of the best musicians of the time. 

Already I'm finding that I'm not nearly as aware of newer music coming out as I was ten years ago (I'm now 36).  It's the way of the world, but because of this I don't feel fully qualified to comment on the overall quality of this period, even, let alone what was going on 50 or 500 years ago.  Although, don't get me wrong, I love plenty of older music, I just don't get the complete dismissal of entire eras any more than I would get someone saying 'I don't like any music more than X years old'.  I always find it funny when people say things like 'X was a terrible era for music', like all good musicians just took the decade off, and then it somehow made a comeback 10 years later or something.    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back