Best DAP with a TRUE line out?
Mar 7, 2006 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

B-side J

100+ Head-Fier
Simple question, what DAP over 20G has a "true" line out? (subpack or integral)

By true I mean No effect my volume/eq (like the X5L
mad.gif
)

Thanks,

JB

Mar 7, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 23
The volume/EQ is probably done digitally, so I'm not sure why lack of that is required for a "true" line out...

With for example computer sound cards, or DACs connected to it, or whatever, you can always decrease the volume in foobar, but that doesn't make the line out fake...

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by B-side J
Simple question, what DAP over 20G has a "true" line out? (subpack or integral)

By true I mean No effect my volume/eq (like the X5L
mad.gif
)

Thanks,

JB

ipod with turbodock

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #4 of 23
Nomad Jukebox 3
tongue.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 23
Ipod's line out is affected by volume; the software sets the volume to a certain level and prevents the user from changing it, but it's not bypassing the volume control.

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #7 of 23
iriver ihp-1x0 with optical output OR an archos av-3x0with spdif out. this line out into whatever dac with an optical input and amp you like.

the analog "lineout" on the iriver ihp-1x0 series is effected by the digital volume control. you can alwyas turn it up to max though.... then the digital "reduction" is bypassed.

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
Ipod's line out is affected by volume; the software sets the volume to a certain level and prevents the user from changing it, but it's not bypassing the volume control.

This is only regarding the 5G?

Mar 7, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
This is only regarding the 5G?

It was only commented on for the 5G, but I would think the 4G has a similar setup (don't have a 4G to test this though).

Mar 8, 2006 at 12:19 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimothy
Nomad Jukebox 3
tongue.gif

Amen, brother.

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey

Was this question ever really settled? Is it a digital volume control being applied before the amplification stage in the 5G or is it analog being applied afterwards?

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #14 of 23
Tested so many brands of portable sources in the past

my conclusion of the portable sources with the best line-out,

DAP - Nomad Jukebox 3
MD - Sony MZ-R50
PCDP - Sony D-303

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #15 of 23
excuse me for asking this but i dont understand with people's obsession with a so called true line out. what does a true line out mean? don't all daps have a line out for you to plug in your headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back