Best DAP with a TRUE line out?
Mar 9, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj
excuse me for asking this but i dont understand with people's obsession with a so called true line out. what does a true line out mean? don't all daps have a line out for you to plug in your headphones?

The headphone out is amplified, where as a line out is not. Lots of player say they have a line out but they are effected when you EQ or change the volume. The reason people want a real line out is to bypass the cheap amp in the DAP when using a external amp. At least that is what I'm after...ASAIK anyways so correct me if I am wrong
confused.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #17 of 23
But, the volume and EQ are both done digitally. It's not like they've got a pentiometer or EQ circuit in the player. So the presence of a volume control or EQ is really irrelevant to whether any amp is being bypassed.

Like I said before, take an Emu 0404. It has a 'true' line out. But when you play music in foobar2000 you can still apply volume or EQ or crossfeed or any manner of stuff. There's no volume or EQ or crossfeed in the 0404, it's all digital.

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
But, the volume and EQ are both done digitally. It's not like they've got a pentiometer or EQ circuit in the player. So the presence of a volume control or EQ is really irrelevant to whether any amp is being bypassed.

Like I said before, take an Emu 0404. It has a 'true' line out. But when you play music in foobar2000 you can still apply volume or EQ or crossfeed or any manner of stuff. There's no volume or EQ or crossfeed in the 0404, it's all digital.

hmm...so what you are saying is that a line out or a headphone out is the same? or are you trying to say that changes of volume control or eq is not a good indication of whether the internal amp is being bypassed or not? if that's the case, how can you tell whether the internal amp is bypassed or not?

one more question: are the differences between an amped headphone out and the un-amped line out really obvious? with out an amp and with an amp?

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #19 of 23
I'm saying that changes of volume or EQ control is not an indicator of whether the internal amp is bypassed or not. Even with the RedWine modded iPod the EQ is still active.

I suppose the only way to make sure is to open it up and look. I don't have experience to say what differences amping a headphone out vs. a line out will result in.

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #21 of 23
All of the mainstream DAPs you can buy these days which feature a line out have true line outs. You can stop going bald worrying over it. Even the iAudio X5's slightly compromised subpack is a true line out.

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat
The iPod line-out is not affected by using the volume-control, the equalizer does affect the line-out because it is done digitally before the DAC(the RockBox has changed the equalizer function, and this should prove the equalizer is a function in the firmware!).

The Apple firmware sets the attenutation to 0db for the line out. So the volume control is still affecting the line out, it's just that the firmware isn't letting the user change it. It's like a flat EQ vs not having the EQ on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back