Best DAP $400.00 Or Under - Your Expertise Requested
Oct 9, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #16 of 31
A few people have suggested the Cayin 5iis but thats also $500.00, and I really need to at least stay close to $400.00.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Onkyo DP-X1A. Several comparisons have rated that on top. Of course, you don't necessarily know who you can trust with those articles.

JC

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #17 of 31
Just saw that there is a special one day savings at a major store for the Fiio X7 at $250.00 off. That brings it into my price range. I've always heard they have a less than ideal user interface but excellent sound. Is that something I should be looking at?

JC

Oct 9, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #19 of 31
Best is obviously subjective. Find the DAPs that checks all your boxes, and weed through them. Try to find some reviews on the sound each dap produces, and choose based on your preference.

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #20 of 31
Best is obviously subjective. Find the DAPs that checks all your boxes, and weed through them. Try to find some reviews on the sound each dap produces, and choose based on your preference.

In the process of doing that. Of course, sound quality is subjective. The reasons aked here is that the average Head-Fi'er is a bit better versed than many out there.

JC

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #21 of 31
I have heard none of these but IMO the guy reviewing these is trustworthy, focuses mostly on sound and loves music.

They are Chi-Fi DAPs, and may take longer to obtain them but they are bang for buck apparently.

hope that helps, sorry if it doesnt

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #22 of 31
Thanks for making me aware of these players. At one point I was actually considering the Shanling MO, but when my budget was able to expand to $400.00, I assumed I could get better sound quality at that level.

JC

Oct 11, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #24 of 31
Thanks for making me aware of these players. At one point I was actually considering the Shanling MO, but when my budget was able to expand to $400.00, I assumed I could get better sound quality at that level.

JC

You'd assume, but sound quality kind of flattens out after $30 or so. Look at the highest end DAC chips. They're only a few dollars. Decide based on features and speed. I've owned an Opus #3, SONY WM1A, and an iBasso DX200. Now I use my Galaxy S9. It's much faster and has many more features not to mention it's one less thing for me to carry.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #25 of 31
PointyFox,

Thanks for your thoughts on this, you've provided me with some useful information. I had read a number of comments, in the forums here, and elsewhere that the Samsung Galaxy S line, and it's counterpart (using the same chips and electronics) the Note series were just not capable of producing good sound. Given the quality DAP's you've previously owned, if you are satisfied with your S9's sound, then clearly that information was invalid. My issue, unfortunately, is that I have a Note 5 (yes, ancient I know, but I'm waiting for next years double screen Note) with only 32gb of total memory, and, with a few pictures saved, etc. there simply wouldnt be enough storage for any remotely meaningful number of FLAC albums, and its not expandable.

JC

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #27 of 31
As mentioned before the differences soundwise are often over emphasised.
I would stick with something not to old (introduced this year) though since the development of digital tech is going on fast. And I would consider a good UI to be important.

The upcoming Shanling M5s might be worth a closer look.

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #29 of 31
As mentioned before the differences soundwise are often over emphasised.
I would stick with something not to old (introduced this year) though since the development of digital tech is going on fast. And I would consider a good UI to be important.

The upcoming Shanling M5s might be worth a closer look.

Just took a look at the previews of it. That one could be interesting. Thanks.

JC

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #30 of 31
PointyFox,

Thanks for your thoughts on this, you've provided me with some useful information. I had read a number of comments, in the forums here, and elsewhere that the Samsung Galaxy S line, and it's counterpart (using the same chips and electronics) the Note series were just not capable of producing good sound. Given the quality DAP's you've previously owned, if you are satisfied with your S9's sound, then clearly that information was invalid. My issue, unfortunately, is that I have a Note 5 (yes, ancient I know, but I'm waiting for next years double screen Note) with only 32gb of total memory, and, with a few pictures saved, etc. there simply wouldnt be enough storage for any remotely meaningful number of FLAC albums, and its not expandable.

JC
I own a s8, not s9 but i guess samsung did nothing to improve the sound when it moved on to s9. atleast i never saw it mentioned anywhere. s8's sound was quite inferior to my AK70.Even my older xduoo x10 sounded better than the s8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back