Best DAP $400.00 Or Under - Your Expertise Requested
Oct 7, 2018 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Nightfall

Headphoneus Supremus
First of al, I'm looking for good sound quality and I will be using strictly FLAC files. Secondly, it would help if the player was simple to use, well constructed and reliable. Lastly, it will be used with full sized cans, nothing too difficult to drive, for workouts, Koss Porta Pro's, while traveling, etc., B&W P5's, or AKG K701's.

So far, based on reviews, and commentary in the forums, I'm considering the following:

refurbished Onkyo DP-X1A
iBasso DX90
Fiio M7
Pioneer XDP-300R - (considering mainly since it supports Tidal, assuming that works well)

I would appreciate your thoughts on the units I've listed, or anything else I should be considering. Thanks for any recommendations, information or assistance in making the right choice.

JC

Oct 7, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 31
^
Of those listed I'd opt for the Pioneer. Based on my personal collection the XDP-100R has the most fluid and trouble free GUI. I assume the 300R would be the same.

I tend to avoid any electronics sold refurbished. DX90 is well-regarded but kind of old now, 6 or 7 years I think. I never liked the look of it either. My FIIO X5iii has the clunkiest interface although sound is quite good but no better than the 100R.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Oct 7, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 31
Thanks for your thoughts. I've actually had quite a bit of good luck with refurbished electronics as long as they were refurbished by the actual manufacturer. I appreciate the recommendation of the Pioneer. Anyone else?

JC

Oct 8, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 31
"Pioneer if dap, mojo if you can use as dac with cable from your phone, sound is far far superior over the above mentioned daps, and cheaper than 400"

Really appreciate the advice, but doubtful if both the Mojo and my phone would fit in the waterproof phone case that I will be using five days a week while walking in the pool at the athletic club. And I know the Mojo is a great little DAC, but it's showing up at right around $536.00! And would a Mojo pair well sonically with an Android phone? I've only ever seen them used with iPhones. I apologize for lack of knowledge here, this is my first venture into portable players/dac's, etc.

JC

Oct 8, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #6 of 31
Mojo sounds fantastic with an android phone. I use this set up regularly at work.

Oct 8, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 31
In my oppinion Opus 1 or 1s would be a very good contender. Very good SQ in a easy to use package.

Oct 8, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #8 of 31
"In my opinion Opus 1 or 1s would be a very good contender. Very good SQ in a easy to use package."

Thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't aware of Opus, previously. Sound quality is apprently excellent, but my concern would be no wifi or bluetooth. Thats a bit limiting given that its 2018.

JC

Oct 8, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #9 of 31
If You need WiFi and Bluetooth i would suggest cayin n5iis

Oct 8, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 31
In my oppinion Opus 1 or 1s would be a very good contender. Very good SQ in a easy to use package.
This if you just want straight, no frills, wired audio quality. If you want more bells and whistles, check out the Ibasso DX120. The new Shanling M5s looks very promising as well if you can squeeze your budget a bit.

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #12 of 31
DX120

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #14 of 31
I would go the Sony NW-A50. Great sound and way, way better battery life than the ones mentioned above.

Oct 9, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #15 of 31
I would go the Sony NW-A50. Great sound and way, way better battery life than the ones mentioned above.
Are you saying the sound quality exceeds the likes of devices from ibasso, shanling and The bit, or are you just commenting on the battery life? Where does someone even source this unit from? I can't find anything on it except the short thread on here, and the Sony Asia website

Users who are viewing this thread

Back