Best DAC option for $250 and under. Needs to be semi-portable.
Jun 2, 2018 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nullstring

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for a new DAC because my previous one was stolen. My target is $250, but could perhaps be a bit flexible. I'm considering anything from $100 to $400 basically.

The two options I'm considering the most right now are either Modi 2 Or Modi 2 Multibit. I'm not sure if the extra $150 for the multibit is worth it or not.

I live abroad temporarily so I want something small to bring here during my stay. I'll be pairing it with a Cavalli liquid carbon.

As far as tastes, I'd like it to be as close as a Schiit Yggy as possible (Which sounds like a dream to my ears.) Obviously, that's not a practical goal, I just wanted to give you some idea of taste.

EDIT: I raised my budget now to just "target" $250, but to include options around $400 if it's worth it. Couldn't seem to edit the title to reflect.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 5
I'm looking for a new DAC because my previous one was stolen. My target is $250, but could perhaps be a bit flexible. I'm considering anything from $100 to $400 basically.

The two options I'm considering the most right now are either Modi 2 Or Modi 2 Multibit. I'm not sure if the extra $150 for the multibit is worth it or not.

I live abroad temporarily so I want something small to bring here during my stay. I'll be pairing it with a Cavalli liquid carbon.

As far as tastes, I'd like it to be as close as a Schiit Yggy as possible (Which sounds like a dream to my ears.) Obviously, that's not a practical goal, I just wanted to give you some idea of taste.

EDIT: I raised my budget now to just "target" $250, but to include options around $400 if it's worth it. Couldn't seem to edit the title to reflect.

So $250 and want the Schiit sound? Gof or the Modi Multibit and you will be happy friend

Jun 12, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 5
A used Chord Mojo you could find at around $350.

To your budget. In the FS section there is a great portable DAC/Amp that rivals its desktop counterparts on its price range (or even greater). The caveat is the company is very very slow to respond on support and yet to deliver their promises after 4 yrs.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-lh-labs-geek-out-go2a.881592/

Jun 12, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #5 of 5
JDS Labs EL DAC or the Topping D50 would be my recommendations. The Topping has a slight edge in absolute transparency and detail, but the EL DAC is a little smoother and more enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back