Best DAC for under $1000?
Nov 23, 2004 at 7:39 AM Post #31 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Natsuiro
Does anyone know if the mini-dac can run solely on USB power? Also how would the the headphone out compare to the benchmark? Also how sensitive is the mini-dac to source if I'm not using usb? I guess these questions are mainly directed to Tiberian haha.

1. no
2. apogee headphone out is bleh.
3. not sure, the last time i used apogee's optical in was like...august?

Nov 23, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #32 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
I'd say the Benchmark is now officially the flavor of last month. Any bandwagon hoppers out there wanna sell me your now out-of-favor DAC1 for $400?
biggrin.gif

Funny thing is here in AUs there is currently a shortage of these buggers.
Something else you might want to know.
DAC1 sells in Aus for about $AU600 less thatn the dac2 or the mini dac or about $900 less than the Grace 901

Nov 23, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #33 of 91
Quote:

Does anyone know if the mini-dac can run solely on USB power? Also how would the the headphone out compare to the benchmark? Also how sensitive is the mini-dac to source if I'm not using usb? I guess these questions are mainly directed to Tiberian haha.

i can only comment on the last two. man, that headphone amp was doing all the right things - i'd be plenty satisfied with the internal amp.

source-wise, it isn't that sensitive - jpelg was using a PCDP optical out as the transport for the minidac i heard and it sounded just great.

Nov 23, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #34 of 91
Quote:

1. No.
2. I find it works very well with Grados. I don't claim it is up to HR Max or Dynahi levels, but I have absolutely no complaints, nor need to add an external amp. Depends on your headphones.
3. I haven't found any diff using a few sources via the optical-in. It has a high immunity to jitter (as does the Benchmark), so it shouldn't matter much.

However, Lan claims he hears a difference when using a better power cord on the mini-DAC. I'm still skeptical
wink.gif

Nov 23, 2004 at 4:33 PM Post #35 of 91
KR, did you get a chance to listen to the Apogee Mini-DAC, Benchmark DAC1, or ack dack! at the NYC meet? If not, what a missed opportunity.

At the last NYC meet with Grado HP1000s, I found the DAC1 to have a larger soundstage than the mini-dac but the mini-dac was smoother. In the case of the Grados, I rather would've had the larger soundstage (which makes me fall asleep with Sennheisers on this as too wide and not enough everything else so is not balanced). The Benchmark seemed to have more bass but the treble was a bit etchy (and I probably couldn't deal if I had a brighter can). mini-dac seemed to have more equality around the notes where as Benchmark was more about the body and not as much the attack or decay. Nevertheless this made it seem like the DAC1 was more exciting. Each of these is a bit unrealistic in my opinion. Various records are made differently so they should sound different not homogenous. As is at the budget, I'd take the DAC1. Tweaked, I rather use the apogee with better digital cable, power supply, and powercord. I think it would help it's bass, detail, and soundstage.

I like the ack dack since it has nice midrange (and thus vocals) and the highs are smooth. The price differential could go toward a better source. Since it's battery powered, you wouldn't have to worry about powercords or conditioning which is nice.

Nov 23, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #36 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by stryker
The Ack! dAck! is a very nice DAC for the money but I think it needs a clock-modifed transport to really sound its best. It sounded great out of my L3 Music Hall player.

There was some good feedback on it from Hirsch's meet back in June of this year, I think. Unfortunately, at that meet, the transport was a Wadia 301--not exactly a budget transport!

I totally agree. Non-Oversampling dacs are excellent, but they need a very high quality transport.

I liked the 47 labs shigaraki myself.

Nov 23, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #37 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiberian
used benchmark dacs on audiogon are probably around 800 (if you can find one).

Yeah, I know. Both the Benchmark and the DAC2 turn up often enough on Audiogon for around $800...the DAC2s usually sell within 2 days, but the Benchmarks usually sell within 2 hours.

Considering all the Benchmark's features (headamp, preamp, balanced out, jitter performance) it's really quite a bargain even at full retail. It's nice, tho, to hear people getting in touch with its true sonic character...instead of "it's the best DAC in the world!" we're starting to hear more "it's one of the best DACs in the world, and a good choice if you like honest/neutral/revealing presentation."

I was just kidding about the FOTM thing...popularity on Head-Fi doesn't really mean anything, except for more great gear on the used market once that popularity goes away.

Nov 23, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #38 of 91
FWIW, the nixon tubedac+ with power supply and the right tube can be pretty darn impressive, in my experience. I've listened to the following DAC's: ack, benchmark, msb link, bel canto dac1. To me, the tube brings out a little bit more life from the music, with very detailed highs and mids and clear, well-defined bass. I don't recommend you use the stock tubes, or skimp on tubes. I'm currently using a nos mullard ecc88, and it seems to work quite well.

Do a quick search on audiogon....there are no nixon tubedac's for sale. None! That could mean two things: nobody else owns this (probably not the case), and people who do own it aren't giving it up.
smily_headphones1.gif
Good luck in your search!

Nov 23, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #39 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
In the case of the Grados, I rather would've had the larger soundstage

I've gone to bowls since getting the Apogee. Lots of air and better soundstage now. Quote:

The Benchmark...the treble was a bit etchy (and I probably couldn't deal if I had a brighter can).

Agreed. That's why I sold mine. Quote:

Each of these is a bit unrealistic in my opinion.

I find the Apogee to be the most realistic source I've owned for the kind of music I listen to most, which is fairly simple vocals, usually female. Quote:

I like the ack dack...The price differential could go toward a better source. Since it's battery powered, you wouldn't have to worry about powercords or conditioning which is nice.

Yeah, but the Ack Dack! would require a good transport & digital cable, while the Benchmark & Apogee sound great regardless of the transport & cabling used. This would negate any price advantage the Ack has up front.

Btw, another DAC not mentioned yet is the Music Fidelity A3.24 which can probably be gotten for less than $800 used these days. Again, you'd want a quality transport to use with it though.

Nov 23, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #41 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
... but the Ack Dack! would require a good transport & digital cable, while the Benchmark & Apogee sound great regardless of the transport & cabling used. This would negate any price advantage the Ack has up front.

Btw, another DAC not mentioned yet is the Music Fidelity A3.24 which can probably be gotten for less than $800 used these days. Again, you'd want a quality transport to use with it though.

Good point.
I heard the dAck! at the meet and it sounded great.
Of course, having a Wadia as a transport didn't hurt.
wink.gif

I wonder if using something like a Monarchy DIP would allow one to use
any transport and get excellent results.
confused.gif

Hearing how smooth it was makes you rethink the whole upsampling thing.
Is the great sound stage and "air" of upsampling really there or is it an artificial byproduct of the upsampling DAC?

BTW, do both the Apogee and DAC-1 upsample?

Nov 23, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #43 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by NKT
FWIW, the nixon tubedac+ with power supply and the right tube can be pretty darn impressive, in my experience. I've listened to the following DAC's: ack, benchmark, msb link, bel canto dac1. To me, the tube brings out a little bit more life from the music, with very detailed highs and mids and clear, well-defined bass. I don't recommend you use the stock tubes, or skimp on tubes. I'm currently using a nos mullard ecc88, and it seems to work quite well.

Do a quick search on audiogon....there are no nixon tubedac's for sale. None! That could mean two things: nobody else owns this (probably not the case), and people who do own it aren't giving it up.
smily_headphones1.gif
Good luck in your search!

This dac is very tempting.
He also offers the same DAC but with a SS Burr Brown video buffered analog output.SaruDac+

For me the DAC would feed a tubed preamp/headamp. (MGHead OTL32)
I worry about getting good synergy between a tube dac and it.
(fearing too much of a good thing I suppose.)
I haven't found any word on the SaruDac+ yet and it's a limited run.

Nov 23, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #44 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
However, Lan claims he hears a difference when using a better power cord on the mini-DAC. I'm still skeptical
wink.gif

replacing the stock cord with ps audio statement (with cryo'ed C7 to IEC plug) has improved dynamics, expanded the soundstage, cleaned up the sibilance and increased the sense of 'air'. i have just sold the statement cord and i am going to get a cheaper ps audio power punch cord for the dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back