Best Dac for $450
Jan 15, 2011 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

sling5s

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently have the nuforce HDP, but won't be using the HDP amp.  Is it the best for the price? 
(no chinese brands)

Jan 15, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #3 of 22

HRT Music Streamer II+ or Arcam RDAC 

I think the OP needs to clarify what he means by "best" - after trying the Streamer II+, I really prefer my Duet. The HRT is certainly more open a and transparent but I think the Duet is more musical and "analog" sounding, which I prefer. Sent the HRT back and have heard scary things about the Arcam - very thin and bright.

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 22
You got a point, when you get into mid fi and hi fi, it's all about preference. 
I do look for transparency and detail without being thin, dry and bright. 

Quote:

I think the OP needs to clarify what he means by "best" - after trying the Streamer II+, I really prefer my Duet. The HRT is certainly more open a and transparent but I think the Duet is more musical and "analog" sounding, which I prefer. Sent the HRT back and have heard scary things about the Arcam - very thin and bright.

Jan 15, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 22
I think that this is more about flavor of sound and synergy with specific cans than technical proficiency or being "better" for lack of a better term. I think after a day of comparing that I prefer the Streamer II + to my Duet but I would put them in the same general category of technical proficiency. I've not heard the Arcam but actually read good things about it.  Ultimately, everyone needs to try as much gear as possible in their own home.

Jan 15, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
I think that this is more about flavor of sound and synergy with specific cans than technical proficiency or being "better" for lack of a better term. I think after a day of comparing that I prefer the Streamer II + to my Duet but I would put them in the same general category of technical proficiency. I've not heard the Arcam but actually read good things about it.  Ultimately, everyone needs to try as much gear as possible in their own home.

I would tend to agree about it being your flavor as opposed to "better", although I can't help but think a component that sounds more like music and less like HiFi would met most people's definition of "better". But it is certainly about preference. I recall many years ago (about 25 to be exact) sitting in the living room of a friend's house listening to to some Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers driven by some 70's vintage solid state amps (that I don't remember the brand of) thinking how absolutely awful it sounded - painfully bright and hard, but quite revealing for the day. At the time I was using hot-rodded Dynaco tube amps and some boutique 3-way dynamic speakers. I thought my system to be vastly superior and more musical (liquid, smooth, harmonically rich) - my friend hated it because he couldn't "hear everything". Still think he was deaf (probably from listening to those crappy amps), but he was happy.

I think the HRT is "better" in many audiophile characteristics, but I wanted to listen to the Apogee. Is the HRT accentuating soundstage and transparency by being a little dark (hooded midrange), lean and "toppy" (bright) ? - I think so. Is the Apogee a little too "juicy" and smoothed over with a expansive but less distinct soundstage? - also yes. But that set of strengths and weaknesses is closer to my ideal sound than the HRT. 

It's your money. Just keep in mind that at this price point, everything is compromise. 

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 22
EDIT: It is chinese. Sorry 'bout that OP.

Get this one: 

Muse Mini DIR9001+4X TDA1543 parallel connection NOS DAC. USD 63 shipped. 

140.jpg

I did a blind test assisted by a friend - I preferred it 16 of 18 times to my six months old  $2500 Dac. And, no - it wasn't less detailed. Slightly less bright. How come it is so cheap? It is a cheap design. Lucky shot. Whatever. Just do not use the switch too much when power is on - it gets very confused if you do that :) And it won't do super duper high res files, I believe. But who cares - when such files are readily available - there are hotter designs to buy than the dacs of today. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120612153492&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2827wt_903

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/514782/bryston-bda-1-dac-vs-muse-dac-reviewed

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/512389/mini-dac-tda1543-x-4-nos/120#post_7203193

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 22
At $450 the question seems loaded for someone to say Apogee Duet. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #9 of 22
I have the Yulong DAC D100 - and this is magic if you are looking for neutral sound. Mostly use it with my PC. It is about the price you are mentioning but then, you would have to get one shipped from China...

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #10 of 22
However, it can be used as a DAC to connect to speakers through a pre-amp as well as to headphones.

Please read the review

http://www.head-fi.org/products/yulong-d100

And read how Skylab used the D100 in a variety of ways...

You said you were looking for a DAC for $450 - I assume you didn't mean a complete hi-fi system for your PC for $450. 

Hervie

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #11 of 22
x2 yulong d100

Aug 12, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #12 of 22
He said no chinese brand though...

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 22

I had the same impression of the Streamer II+, but I really think that the 2011 edition takes care of  that little bit of leanness/brightness the older version had.

I think the HRT is "better" in many audiophile characteristics, but I wanted to listen to the Apogee. Is the HRT accentuating soundstage and transparency by being a little dark (hooded midrange), lean and "toppy" (bright) ? - I think so. Is the Apogee a little too "juicy" and smoothed over with a expansive but less distinct soundstage? - also yes. But that set of strengths and weaknesses is closer to my ideal sound than the HRT. 

It's your money. Just keep in mind that at this price point, everything is compromise. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #15 of 22
I'm in the same boat and would like to find a USB DAC that will work best with my iPad...around the same price point hopefully cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back